Great Tasting Vinyl

Ananda Shankar Lp's are not rare, but then they are not too easy to find either... The sell the moment they pop up!

I have one, from my dad's collection and am looking for a better copy!

Not been lucky yet. Always been touch and go on this one!

Hi Malvai

You are right. Rare is not the right word. They keep popping up but disappear very fast.

Hi all,

I am also interested in Anand shankar's albums, will try to source at Chennai but rare, if anybody has it I am willing to master it on CD for free and interested people can have a copy, what say?

N.Murali

Thats a lovely offer!

I'm sure there'll many people who'd want!

I for one can't bring myself to touch CD's anymore!

I am also interested in Anand shankar's albums, will try to source at Chennai but rare

Hi,

@Murali,check with Ravi of Poppat Jamal he had some Anand Shankar LP's when I last visited.

Have you collected your TT after the tonearm rewire?

Regards
Rajiv

I find a Vinyl or two that has just not been issued on CD or even if it were - very, very limited runs!
I have not found most Indian Classical vinyl albums on CDs. And that makes them interesting as I guess some rare ragas and top notch performances by Indian masters (in their prime) may be on vinyls. If some gurus can help I can post my albums with compositions/raga names. Anyone ?
Regards

Sure thing Hiten!

I think most Indian Classical on vinyl is getting more and more rare to find.

In fact a whole lot of stuff just ain't available. Even the stuff that is available on CD, is very very poorly mastered on CD.

Post your list bro!

On Indian Classical, I recently acquired the vinyl of Veena Chitti Babu's "Musings of a musician", the CD release of which is a typical example of the apathy and stupidity of Indian record companies.

The original vinyl came in two discs , Vol1 and VOl2. HMV Saregama, in all their infinite wisdom, chose to issue this as a single CD, and in the process, chopped off the exquisite "Siva Leela Vilasam" suite , that runs nearly 20 minutes and took up an entire side of the original vinyl.

I'm sure there are many other releases like this (even some rock double LPs have had 1-2 tracks chopped off the CD issues - Jethro Tull's "Living in the past" comes to mind)

All this talk of Ananda Shankar had me digging out his self titled 1970 record, which I've had for some time now but never took the time to listen to. Well, I freaked out on his version of Rolling Stones' Jumping Jack Flash and The Doors' Light My Fire. Are there any more such albums?

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of ragas, but intention of posting is to know some rare ragas and recordings on vinyls. Out of too many I have sorted out few which I rarely saw at record sellers and had raga names I am not familiar with...

1) Mohd. Sayyed Khan, Mohd. Rashid Khan ~ Tilak Kamod, Kamod Nat, Ratt ki gunlali
2) Parveen Sultana ~ Sarang Kauns, Mian ki malhar
3) Pandit Omkarnath Thakur ~ Sugrahi, Nilambari
4) Kumar Gandharva ~ Chaiti Bhoop, Nand bahar
5) Vasantrao Deshpande ~ Kamodvanti, Sawani, Mishra Bihag
6) Pt. Jasraj ~ Bilaskhani Todi, Gorakh Kalyan
7) Pannalal Ghosh ~ Yaman, Raag Shri
Surprise ! Surprise !! what I was looking for Rare and complex ragas
8) Pt. Mallikarjun Mansur sings rare and complex ragas ~ Khat, Nat Bihag

So music gurus please give your impressions
Thanks in advance

Hiten, I have not seen any of the titles on either Vinyl or CD.

Now, I am not an expert on India Classical, so I can't say if they are great performances or not. But as far as the titles go, these seem to be pretty hard to find!

As I slowly pack away my LP's one by one for the shift back to Mumbai, I realise how many amazing gems I have collected over the past two years!

The one that really made me groove while packing was a rare old 10" original 1st press of Oscar 'Papa Celestin's Wedding.

Initially this was to be a LP that would consist of 8 of his most loved tracks that would showcase his 50 year long career. But alas, Papa Celestin passed on before it could be finished, in 1954.

So, out came this album with just 4 tracks. And what lovely tracks. The Lp captures the New Orleans sound so well. The recording itself is amazing!

Release by southland records in 1955, this particular LP somehow reached Chor Bazaar, in its original shrink wrap, never opened! I bought it for as little as Rs 200/- But the more I listen to it, the more priceless it becomes!

This recording somehow takes you back in time... and brings alive the descriptions of smoky bars, and joyous noise amid the misery....

Here the opening track:

YouTube - OSCAR "PAPA" CELESTIN : Down By The Riverside

I bet there is no one in our forum who listens to bhajans. But A great recording and album which may not be in CD format is 'Chala vahi Desh". A meera Bhajans albums sung by Lata Mangeshkar. Album is a family affair as music director is Hridaynath Mangeshkar, Album Cover art by Usha Mangeshkar (Good artwork :)). Very rarely you will find a recording engineers name on an Indian album cover. This album has it. Recording engineer is Surendranath Gupta. That speaks a lot about this albums songs are good listen with superb Lata's voice great music and recording.

I bet there is no one in our forum who listens to bhajans. But A great recording and album which may not be in CD format is 'Chala vahi Desh". A meera Bhajans albums sung by Lata Mangeshkar. Album is a family affair as music director is Hridaynath Mangeshkar, Album Cover art by Usha Mangeshkar (Good artwork :)). Very rarely you will find a recording engineers name on an Indian album cover. This album has it. Recording engineer is Surendranath Gupta. That speaks a lot about this albums songs are good listen with superb Lata's voice great music and recording.

I think I have this one! It came in a whole bunch of Hindi Film/Indian Classical bunch collected by my father-in-law!

so, it great to know that it is a good album to keep, if not for any reason but for it collectible worth!

In fact, when i get to Delhi, I will run your list by him and understand more about the music listed by you. He definitely would know!

Beautiful album. I do have this, but on reel tape. Not a big fan of Lata as such but this one is certainly the goods

Another 'find' from the bunch passed on to me by my pa-in-law: Ameer Khusrau - A tribute by Ustad Vilayat Khan...

pretty sublime stuff...

I am sure this will be music to the ears of vinyl-o-philes :)

I have been collecting records for many years now as I love music.I was briefly seduced by CDs when they were introduced at the beginning of the 80s with the promise of "perfect sound forever". We now all know that that was pure marketing hype.CDs do not last forever,and their sound quality is very restricted by the parameters that were set for their production
- Brett Grant

Classic Records sell and buy classical records and other collectible classical vinyl records and classical LPs, such as Columbia SAX, EMI ASD, Decca SXL

Classic Record seems to be a gold mine for western classical vinyl.Enough music to last a lifetime.I will be spending many blissful hours window shopping for vinyls.I don't intend to buy because I have burnt my boats by investing so much in cds that there is no going back.But I will posts links to some of the recordings which I feel are very special.Recordings which satisfy the same criterions I use before buying cds.

Good Composer
Good Conductor
Good Orchestra
Good Solo Performers
Good Recording
Good Running Time
Good Price :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back