Grey market imported receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i have stated what was told to me by the sales guy at fairdeal.
As i said, there sure is scope for further discount, only neither did i have the time to discuss discounts nor was i intending to buy it then and there. I will surely pull the price down by a couple of Ks minimum once i have decided to buy..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on phone i was quoted 40.5k for denon x1200 by alfa & 47k by fairdeal.

even allowing for discounts after bargaining in person when seriously looking to buy, it would take some doing for fairdeal to come below alfa

on another note, is it better to buy now or wait for diwali? do these stores offer better rates during that period or do they hike up the rates to take advantage of the rush?

Hi

More or less rates remain the same, it all depends on the rates provided by their suppliers who import these AVRs. Supply and Demand theory applies here.

Nothing much is festive related except for the usual brands which Vijay Sales / Croma provide offers for (Samsung / LG / Philips etc)

It's a calculative call to purchase from a store or grey market dealer. Factor of trust and experience. If you want to purchase an AVR and not burn a big hole in the pocket, there are some decent AVRs available on Hi Fi Mart / For Sale by Owner where prices quoted are reasonable. Here at least the AVR is being tested and used...which means there are no issues with its performance minus the warranty factor ofcourse....

Honestly the warranty which is just a year does not really help as nothing happens if the avr is used in the recommended way.

on phone i was quoted 40.5k for denon x1200 by alfa & 47k by fairdeal.

even allowing for discounts after bargaining in person when seriously looking to buy, it would take some doing for fairdeal to come below alfa

on another note, is it better to buy now or wait for diwali? do these stores offer better rates during that period or do they hike up the rates to take advantage of the rush?

Hmmm very very interesting. I purchased Denon x1200w for 43k (inc Delivery) off Amazon in March earlier this year. Other sellers had also prices around 44-45k. Seems prices have climbed up very sharply.

In Kolkata atleast there are offers around Denon (specially by PROFX) during October. (Durga Puja and Diwali).

Last edited:
its not about one year warranty ....if there is some issue after that ...authorised dealers in india will not repair it.

I have always purchased CD players from authorised dealers ...since they are most likely to fail ....Stereo amp as always been grey market ...

Purchased Marantz PM7001 from Heera Panna in Mumbai in 2011 and still working ...no issues at all ...recently purchased Marantz PM11S2 reference series amp (made in japan ) ..from Amazon ...it was shipped from Chennai ..

Last edited:
Fortunately in Mumbai besides M Z Audio, there are other repairers who can fix Marantz products....

As for me, I have changed 4/5 models over the past 4-5 years and never faced any challenges that I had to visit the repair shop....all grey market purchases....

Unfortunate part is that you seldom get the same dealer.....so far luck is holding good.

Pioneer VSX 1131 has dropped to 39K in Chennai.. Hard bargain can fetch you for 37K max i guess...Any better prices in other cities?

Hi,

If you are fine with preowned, there is a SR5009 available on Hi Fi ads...

Pioneer VSX 1131 has dropped to 39K in Chennai.. Hard bargain can fetch you for 37K max i guess...Any better prices in other cities?

hmm similar price range to denon x1200. many on avsforum were saying room eq of MCACC/pioneer is better than audyssey/denon

any idea which is a more reliable avr & less prone to failure?

hmm similar price range to denon x1200. many on avsforum were saying room eq of MCACC/pioneer is better than audyssey/denon

any idea which is a more reliable avr & less prone to failure?

Quoting this link from an other thread...

Here is an interesting link to read Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 Vs YPAO Vs MCACC - Google Translate

Results towards the end of the review from the above link ....

Rating system calibration with automatic correction of priority:

1. Audyssey MultiEQ XT 32 for most flat frequency response graph for all channels, including subwoofer
2. YPAO RSC for the good work RSC complex filter on correcting problems in NP
3. MCACC for clear presentation of information about the changes made
4. YPAO for work at all frequencies
5. Audyssey 2EQ for correcting the frequency response of heterogeneous speaker HF

Rating calibration systems with manual priority correction:

1. YPAO (all) for flexible parametric EQ on each channel
2. MCACC 9-band graphic equalizer and 3-band EQ standing waves
3. Audyssey (all) for a graphic equalizer, equalizer including subwoofer (sale Onkyo)

Overall Rating calibration systems:

1. Audyssey MultiEQ XT 32 and YPAO RSC. Uniquely difficult to choose a leader, that is. To. A system perfectly corrects frequency response over the entire range, and the second, though less straightens response, but has the ability to further edit the result obtained using a parametric equalizer to your personal preference.
2. MCACC. A good range of options is limited only by the means used for editing.
3. YPAO. Auto-tuning is only slightly rules AFC channels, which requires a mandatory change settings parametric equalizer to produce an acceptable result.
4. Audyssey 2EQ. The absence of changes below 1 kHz does not allow to adjust the effect of the room.

Last edited:
^so the toprated are MultiEQ XT 32 and YPAO RSC but they are available only on the higher models. x1200 has only MultiEQ XT

^so the toprated are MultiEQ XT 32 and YPAO RSC but they are available only on the higher models. x1200 has only MultiEQ XT

AudysseyComparison.jpg

Yes.. That's the catch.. MultiEQ XT 32 are reserved for the higher priced AVR's with more features.. But that said, Multi EQ XT also should be good..

Hi,

If you are fine with preowned, there is a SR5009 available on Hi Fi ads...

I am already using 6007 and looking for upgrade to support the new formats supported by new models. Any recommendation is appreciated.

Hi,

Depending on what speakers are being used and what budget you have in mind, you should look at the 5010 or 6010 which are really pricey!

We have a few members who are successfully using the NR1606 with Dali Z7s. If your speakers are of similar specs then go for NR series. There is a pre owned 1605 available on Hi Fi ads..

I am already using 6007 and looking for upgrade to support the new formats supported by new models. Any recommendation is appreciated.

You already have a great receiver. My suggestion would be to stick with the existing avr unless you face issues with it. If you are able to feel a big difference in the new audio formats like atmos and dtsx, then you can try to upgrade. If you decided to upgrade then go with a auro 3d supported avr. You can configure additional layer of height to enhance the movie experience.

Like a 9.2 receiver which will be like below,

front left, front right, center
surround right, surround left
surround height left, surround height right (Auro 3d)
2 ceiling speakers (atmos, dts x, auro 3d)
2 subwoofers. This kind of setup would take you to the next level in the surround experience.

You already have a great receiver. My suggestion would be to stick with the existing avr unless you face issues with it. If you are able to feel a big difference in the new audio formats like atmos and dtsx, then you can try to upgrade. If you decided to upgrade then go with a auro 3d supported avr. You can configure additional layer of height to enhance the movie experience.

Like a 9.2 receiver which will be like below,

front left, front right, center
surround right, surround left
surround height left, surround height right (Auro 3d)
2 ceiling speakers (atmos, dts x, auro 3d)
2 subwoofers. This kind of setup would take you to the next level in the surround experience.

Thanks for the reply.
Then I guess I should audition the new format first then look sell mine if there is huge difference as u said. I think 6011 should be a good upgrade once it is available.

Thanks for the reply.
Then I guess I should audition the new format first then look sell mine if there is huge difference as u said. I think 6011 should be a good upgrade once it is available.

yes you are right. 6011 is a better choice.

@ Mods - The forum rules states
You are not allowed to start any "Interest Check" threads in this forum. If you would like to sell your used gear please start a new thread in the "For Sale By Owner" forum

Please let me know if i can start an "Interest check" for group buy AVR in Grey market..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back