Group Buy

saikat

Hi,
Since so many people on the forum keep looking for VFM interconnects, speaker and power cables, why not we go for a group buy? We could save a lot by getting some discounts from dealers and shipping (if we import it).

What exactly need to be purchased can be advised by people who have used these cables extensively. To classify we can use something like this,

Parameter 1) Price Point:)p)
(a)<2k
(a)2k to 5k
(b)5k to 10k
Sub Parameter for each price point (a) Want to make system brighter, (b) Want to make system less bright, (c) Flat, (d)?

What we would need would be something like this,
1) Interconnect cables (cableco for instance has kimber, VDH ?, ?=others)
2) Connectors (?)
3) Speaker cables (supra, kimber, VDH, ?)
4) Banana's (?)
5) Power cables (lorad, XLO, ?)
6) IEC, Power connectors & Receptacles (Furutech, Wattgate, Oyaide, ?)
7) Silver solder (WBT, ?)
8) Misc

Please suggest some reasonable parameters and options (brands, models and buying options).

Thanks.

Dear Saikat
Will despatch cable tom for sure. U give it to someone else when u get something better.
Regarding the above : Well its great if u can get a few guys together and order collectively and the internet vendor will courier directly to one address.
Always buy off the reel as thats cheaper but then one has to order a fair quantity.
Please post no names of internet dealers here as distributors get really irked:D as u will probably get them at about half of local MRP.

Lastly we (a few buddies & me) did this a year ago. Got all the stuff we wanted and each terminated the cables himself. It worked out beautifully but we made a few disties unhappy.
Rgds

Thanks Saikat for starting this thread.

It was nice meeting you at the Bangalore Audio Yatra and to find that too you have been researching cables. I would be interested in a group buy for medical/hospital grade power receptacles, IECs and plugs. Gobble and I have also discussed this topic and am sure even he will be interested in a group buy.

Why Medical grade?
I came across these on audiogon first and later on found that many audiophiles are using this. This is because they are well made, use good quality brass, 15A and offer a tight snug fit and do not cost as high as the Oyaides, Furutechs and Wattgates of the audio world. I might look at brands like Leviton, Hubbel etc which many audio freaks have had success with.

Had recently browsed below-mentioned site and shortlisted a few. I had saved the links, but now the links are dead:(:

Receptacles

From my research, found this receptacle from Hubbel to be of great performance and value:
Hubbell HBL5362I 20 Amp 125 V 5-20R Duplex RECEPTACLE - eBay (item 290290350972 end time Aug-11-10 21:15:33 PDT)

One question I do have is whether these can be used in India as these are rated 110V. Not sure if we can use these in India.

Dear Saikat
Will despatch cable tom for sure. U give it to someone else when u get something better.

Thanks a lot and will do Dinyaar.

Dear Saikat
Lastly we (a few buddies & me) did this a year ago. Got all the stuff we wanted and each terminated the cables himself. It worked out beautifully but we made a few disties unhappy.

Which connectors did you get?

I need some VDH D 102. Planning to fly down to Singapore buy the cable and come back. Will work out cheaper that way. :lol:

@santhosh: It was a pleasure meeting you too. Buddy two receptacles that have received good reviews are the Hubble 8200/8300 and the Hubbell 5362. Check out audiogon forums for more details.

Last edited:
Saikat, if you are indeed going to Singapore, do get me the Beldens you told me about. I am badly in need of an interconnect.

Saikat, if you are indeed going to Singapore, do get me the Beldens you told me about. I am badly in need of an interconnect.

Titus, i was joking about the prices here.. :p

One very kind gentleman has offered me some of his cables to listen to for the time being and I have been using his cables. If you want the Belden's I will send them to you.

I wont mind some Furutech type plugs. I am only visiting the forum for a few mins once in a few days due to other priorities so If anybody is interested, sync up with Santhol, as we can decide.

Santhosh I hope you wont mind fronting this.

Cheers

@santhosh: It was a pleasure meeting you too. Buddy two receptacles that have received good reviews are the Hubble 8200/8300 and the Hubbell 5362. Check out audiogon forums for more details.

We have been looking at the same Audiogon thread then:)
AudiogoN Forums: What exactly does "Hospital Grade" mean?

Saikat, can't seem to find any non ebay-sellers selling these. Also, is it alright to use these with 220V as their spec says 110V?

List so far:
1) Receptacles (Hubble/Leviton)
2) Furutech connectors and IEC
3) VDH D 102 interconnect cables
4) RCA connectors
5) Kimber SBAN banana

@Santosh, gobble: we need the model of receptacles and furutech connectors as well as numbers.

@ iaudio: Sent you a pm

Last edited:
List so far:
1) Receptacles (Hubble/Leviton)
2) Furutech connectors and IEC
3) VDH D 102 interconnect cables
4) RCA connectors
5) Kimber SBAN banana

@Santosh, gobble: we need the model of receptacles and furutech connectors as well as numbers.

@ iaudio: Sent you a pm

Saikat

I thought you found the other cables more to your linking - amongst all that we tested? Or is bringing out the midrange more important in your setup?

I liked the other one but cant remember its name - what was it?

Regards

I am tempted by the Chord SilverScreen speaker cables sold directly by Chord UK website.

If anybody wants, we can buy multiples of 2/3/5/7 meter unterminated pair (only sold in these lengths) and ship to my UK borderlinx address. (They do not accept international address)

The price per 2m pair is coming to GBP24 @6pounds per meter.

Cheers

Last edited:
Saikat

I thought you found the other cables more to your linking - amongst all that we tested? Or is bringing out the midrange more important in your setup?

I liked the other one but cant remember its name - what was it?

Regards

You mean the Straight wire? Wait for a couple of days and see how much you like it on your system; before deciding on the Chord.

You mean the Straight wire? Wait for a couple of days and see how much you like it on your system; before deciding on the Chord.

Yeah straight-wire was good. The chord is a speaker cable not an IC.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back