GTX 980 or GTX 1060 for gaming?!

TheSeeker

Hello all,

i have a PC thats been lying idle (& with a few problems to boot!) that i have to revive for general use and gaming. it has an MSI N580GTX Lightning III GPU, which i'd sell off. wanted to know if GTX 980 would be a better buy than GTX 1060 or not (without counting the power-consumption factor). the PC has:

Asus P8-Z68 V-Pro motherboard
Intel i7-2600k processor
Corsair TX750 PSU
CM HAF-X cabinet

from here, GTX 980 seems to be better.

TIA!

Hello all,

i have a PC thats been lying idle (& with a few problems to boot!) that i have to revive for general use and gaming. it has an MSI N580GTX Lightning III GPU, which i'd sell off. wanted to know if GTX 980 would be a better buy than GTX 1060 or not (without counting the power-consumption factor). the PC has:

Asus P8-Z68 V-Pro motherboard
Intel i7-2600k processor
Corsair TX750 PSU
CM HAF-X cabinet

from here, GTX 980 seems to be better.

TIA!

I believe GTX980 is a better performing card that 1060. I do also believe that 1060 is a upgraded version of 960 only. Still its behind 970 or 980.

IMHO.

I have a GTX 970 myself, and it holds up very well even today for most games, up to 1080p. I have not felt the need to upgrade for gaming, but I will certainly be upgrading for HTPC usage, especially H.265 and 4K.

Guess it will come down to what gaming you intend to do, but more specifically resolution especially with 4K being all the rage these days.

PS: I have been a hard-core PC gamer in the past, but these days I mostly use the PlayStation.

thanks all. cant spend on the 1070. have a tight budget. even the 980 i'd be buying would be a used one.

Then get the 1060 6GB. It's almost the same performance and has much better newer architecture and an h.265/vp9 hardware encoder decoder. It'll have a longer life. Maxwell (970/980) is worth buying only if really really cheap.

Then get the 1060 6GB. It's almost the same performance and has much better newer architecture and an h.265/vp9 hardware encoder decoder. It'll have a longer life. Maxwell (970/980) is worth buying only if really really cheap.

IMO 1060 is way to go, go for 6GB only if you r 4k Gaming, else 3GB is enough for all other needs.

IMO 1060 is way to go, go for 6GB only if you r 4k Gaming, else 3GB is enough for all other needs.

4k? You are kidding right? Even a 1080 can't hold a steady 60fps in every game at 4k.

I'd be surprised if a 1060 6GB holds 60fps even at 2560x1440 in GPU intensive games like Deus Ex.

Ofcource 1060 can't get 60fps@4k, however considering he is tight on budget, 1060 is best VFM card he can get which can run games at medium settings.

I am suggesting based on reading reviews, correct me if I am wrong.

I myself ordered 1060 3GB as I will be playing 1080 only.

Go for 1070 if budget allows rather than 970/980

thanks gentlemen....am less inclined to buy a 1060 as i found the 980 to be more powerful. whichever the card, i prefer to buy it used. i've created a request for the 980 now. if i get good offers, fine. else will look for 1060. 4k gaming not needed for now.

I am little late here on thread, but Have you compared prices of GTX 980 vs 1060 vs 1080
I suggest you do that mate.
i think 1060 will be better in terms of overall price & performance.
Price of zotac Amp edi. 1060 6gb card @ 25k while 980 Asus OC 4gb @ 55k.
Its huge difference mate. you are getting additional 2gb card memory in 1060. which is useful in all new games, to avoid bottle neck situations.

If you actually wanna spend more just get 1080 for full performance, and same price as 980 but additional 4gb more, that means it is gtx 1080 8gb. why not consider that if you are just going for 980.

And guys except few titles that only released on ps and xbox i dont think console would be good choice over pc. Graphics of pc always beats.

Also forgot to add that, the 980 will use more power, in future if you go for SLI even, you might need to upgrade your psu + for example if you purchase 4gb 980. then you will have to get 980 with same vram. in Nvidia you cant mix and match with different vram with same gpu series. Not only that you will still be having 4gb and not 8gb.

To avoid that issues mostly you should get decent gpu with higher vram.

thanks @nkchokshi. i wont be spending more. if i get an offer for a used 980 within 20k, good. else will look for a 1060. not aiming for sli in future.

thanks @nkchokshi. i wont be spending more. if i get an offer for a used 980 within 20k, good. else will look for a 1060. not aiming for sli in future.

Hello also check AMD 480 as well. It's more over same performance as 1060 but in same or lesser price it has 6gb and 8gb options in vram. Also get Asus or MSI make, from my experience zotac, sapphire are don't perform well as they ment. I have gtx 760 amp edition from zotac and 7970 OC Asus. Asus never crashed unexpectedly, or gave any strange errors, even build quality is far better then zotac. Still upto you, best luck.

Hello also check AMD 480 as well. It's more over same performance as 1060 but in same or lesser price it has 6gb and 8gb options in vram. Also get Asus or MSI make, from my experience zotac, sapphire are don't perform well as they ment. I have gtx 760 amp edition from zotac and 7970 OC Asus. Asus never crashed unexpectedly, or gave any strange errors, even build quality is far better then zotac. Still upto you, best luck.

thanks. i will check some reviews. i have a zotac 750ti in my HTPC. but havent used it for gaming.

hello everyone...

not getting any offer for a 980, i paid for a new (but without warranty( zotac 1060 mini 6gb card. however later read that rx480 is better at dx12 games. now am wondering whether once 1060 is delivered, should i sell it off outright (its a sealed box) and look for an rx480, or even wait for a 980 some more, or use the 1060.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back