Inverter for Gaming PC.

v1k

Hi guys,

Im planning to buy a inverter to support my Gaming PC. I already have a Inverter from Luminous which is 850va and it does not support my PC. The technician also brought the 1000kva and 1500kva inverters and both did not support my PC. We also directly connected the inverter to the PC and tried . It still did not work !! Please help me with the setup, im looking for a inverter that supports home appliances like lights, fans, TV and my PC too.

Inverter Specs: Luminous EcoVolt 850va/ tried 1000kva& 1500kva.

My Gaming PC Specs:

PSU: Coolermaster 650W.
Processor: AMD 8320 FX.
GPU: MSI 970 GTX.
Memory: 16gb.
HDD: 1 TB.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean when you say the inverter did not support your pc? Did the inverter not take your PC's load? Or the switch over time was too high and the PC got switched off when the inverter switched to battery ?

I was also about to ask the same question :) .....what do you mean by "does not support my PC".. ?

I use the Eco Volt (it is pure sine wave). Supports my PC, my music rig, and a couple of rooms lights and fans, and my entire network and NAS, switch, etc.

On occasion I've used it straight for 10 to 15 hours and it never ran out. On one particular occasion my PC was encoding Blu-ray rips and running at full steam (an i7) and typically Blu-ray encoding takes 15 hours (2 pass). It ran for over 10 of those hours on the Luminous without any issues.

What do you mean when you say the inverter did not support your pc? Did the inverter not take your PC's load? Or the switch over time was too high and the PC got switched off when the inverter switched to battery ?

Yes the Inverter did not take the load of the PC. IN another instance when i connected the inverter directly to only the PC and nothing else, even then it did not take the load of the PC.

I use the Eco Volt (it is pure sine wave). Supports my PC, my music rig, and a couple of rooms lights and fans, and my entire network and NAS, switch, etc.

On occasion I've used it straight for 10 to 15 hours and it never ran out. On one particular occasion my PC was encoding Blu-ray rips and running at full steam (an i7) and typically Blu-ray encoding takes 15 hours (2 pass). It ran for over 10 of those hours on the Luminous without any issues.

Even the technician was also surprised to see the inverter not taking the load of the PC. He said it will easily take the load. Do you switch to the UPS mode while using the PC or just the normal W-UPS mode?

(an i7) and typically Blu-ray encoding takes 15 hours (2 pass). It ran for over 10 of those hours on the Luminous without any issues.

15 hours!!! :eek: wooouu ...........even at 2 pass, man a bit OT but not sure what parameters you were using, but ripping n encoding main movie with DTS-Core track @ around 5-7mbps bitrate does not take more than 2 hours single pass, 4 hours with 2 pass at the most. Even If I rip and encode with full DTS MA track with 10+mbps bitrate (main title) with 2 pass will not surpass 6-8 hours .... this is with i7 2600K 16 GB Ram ......:)

Last edited:
15 hours!!! :eek: wooouu ...........even at 2 pass, man a bit OT but not sure what parameters you were using, but ripping n encoding main movie with DTS-Core track @ around 5-7mbps bitrate does not take more than 2 hours single pass, 4 hours with 2 pass at the most. Even If I rip and encode with full DTS MA track with 10+mbps bitrate (main title) with 2 pass will not surpass 6-8 hours .... this is with i7 2600K 16 GB Ram ......:)

Same specs but I'm referring to HEVC i.e. X265 encoding. X264 will take same time for me like 4-6 hours.

BTW, I encode at 4.37 GB, used to burn on DVDs, not anymore, but still the size I stick to.

Get an UPS for your PC , going by your spec a 1Kva APC BR1000G is great. Even if you have over clocked that thirsty Piledriver FX or the low power consuming Maxwell based GTX 970 you won't need more than that. 1kva returns 650 watts and your PC even if over clocked won't reach 550 watts.
But you will need an ups an inverter's reaction time is not as quick as an ups' to support a brown or black out,in any of the brown or black scenario your pc will BSOD and shutdown. So UPS it is. Now who gave you the idea of running a PC on inverter?

Last edited:
Same specs but I'm referring to HEVC i.e. X265 encoding. X264 will take same time for me like 4-6 hours.

BTW, I encode at 4.37 GB, used to burn on DVDs, not anymore, but still the size I stick to.

Oh haven't tried on H.265 ... My PC is used as an ESXi server as of now.., so probably won't be abe to test that anytime soon .... but I am planning to purchase a new beast in next 6 months or so, will do all my new fresh testings on that ... :D

Last edited:
Oh haven't tried on H.265 ... My PC is used as an ESXi server as of now.., so probably won't be abe to test that anytime soon .... but I am planning to purchase a new beat in next 6 months or so, will do all my new fresh testings in that ... :D

HEVC takes a long time... anywhere from 5-8 hours for a single pass. The PQ though is definitely improved over H264 for the same file size. Put another way you can get the PQ of a 4 GB rip in 1.5 to 2 GB or get the PQ of an 8 GB H264 in a 4 GB H265.

They claim 50% improvement in compression and from what I've seen, I can agree with those claims.

I just don't have the time to re-rip and re-encode all of my movies, but PQ is definitely tempting.

Yes I agree, H.265 has proven its worth, it mainly shows its benefits on 4K resolution. For regular 1080p, H.264 is more than sufficient. I dont have many BDs to actually encode them for my library, I just do it for fun .. :) , benchmarks and experiments.. :) ...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back