Harbeth Compact 7 ES3 v/s ATC SCM 19

my gut feel from your current system,..if you like the Quads so much..you may just prefer the harbeths..
One very important thing for harbeths when you hear is that they should be heard placed on an Open Frame stand and NOt a regular stand. they are designed as LOssy cabinets and any stand that cannot dissipate the energy will give them a bloated and slow sound.

Thanks Arjun....Will keep that in mind when ordering/making the stands....I think i will go for the Harbeths only as i have read there are significant improvements from the 7 ES2......

I am getting a demo pair of the Compact 7 ES3 for 1200 GBP which is the latest version beig the MK3.....I am also getting a brand new ATC SCM 19 for 1375 GBP....I love both the speakers but am inclined towards the Harbeths as I cannot change my amplifier now and Harbeths do not seem very fussy ..... However the ATC SCM 19 is also a superb speaker with fantastic bass although the Harbeths have a to die for mids.....
I do not know what to do and I need help from fellow members who have heard both.....

My musical preferences are Jazz, electronic ambient, 80s ...... I have heard both the speakers and can live with either.... Unfortunately I am not getting a VAT refund in the UK ....

Suggestions please.....

I missed that statement in bold. Interesting that you have heard both and like both:). In such a case I think you should stick to what your heart says. I can see it leaning towards Harbeth;) which is a good situation to be in because you dont want to spend on Amp and source right now. Harbeth will do just fine with most amps and sources. As far as doing justice to some particular genre, I think they are not very finicky about genres, sounds equally fine with Jazz and Rock (Classic). I even heard some Metallica on it and it didnt sound out of place or tune.

Thanks Abhi for your feedback....it was great talking to you yesterday and helped clear out all the doubts...Have decided on the Harbeths and hope they reach me in good condition....

Would love to hear your setup whenever I am in Bangalore....

Thanks Abhi for your feedback....it was great talking to you yesterday and helped clear out all the doubts...Have decided on the Harbeths and hope they reach me in good condition....

Would love to hear your setup whenever I am in Bangalore....

How are you getting them shipped to India?

Have requested my brother in law to carry with him....Since he is travelling with his wife and 2 kids, 32 kgs should not be much of a problem.....
Have my fingers crossed ....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back