Has anybody tried this solution I found in Internet

Donivlapog

I read in a couple of reviews (needle in a haystack to pull the exact location) that a HT consultant has saved a lot of money for his customer wrt the following scenario.

Customer wants to have a 11.2 set up done upgrading from a 5.2. The customer believes he must sell his 5.2 channel current AVR and place an order for Denon 11.2 ch 6700. But the HT consultant makes him buy a Denon 3700 and has his current AVR plugged in as power anp from the pre outs of 3700 and gets an optimum 11.2 saving the customer a few lakhs. Is this a viable solution?

It can be done. However, you will be connecting one pre-amp to another and not one pre-amp to a power amp which might result in a bit of distortion. I have connected a DAC into a tube pre which in turn I connected to my AVR via the analog input. I could not hear audible distortion even with the tube pre at full volume. So, yes, it can be done. Would be simpler to sell the old receiver and get a power amp instead though for the 3700.

Last edited:
It can be done. However, you will be connecting one pre-amp to another and not one pre-amp to a power amp which might result in a bit of distortion. I have connected a DAC into a tube pre which in turn I connected to my AVR via the analog input. I could not hear audible distortion even with the tube pre at full volume. So, yes, it can be done. Would be simpler to sell the old receiver and get a power amp instead though for the 3700.
I understand that tube pres have a bit of hiss by default , due to the high voltages of the tubes(also depends on the quality of the tubes ). It is mostly audible when you press your ear to twitter.
Is it not the case for you ?

I understand that tube pres have a bit of hiss by default , due to the high voltages of the tubes(also depends on the quality of the tubes ). It is mostly audible when you press your ear to twitter.
Is it not the case for you ?
I connected the tube-pre (a very entry level Fx-Audo DP-02 with JAN 5654W tubes) back to the chain to check this. At -15 Db with nothing playing and in pure direct, there was no hiss. At 0 Db there was a audible hiss when ear is pressed to tweeter. When music is playing, it is not noticed.

I connected the tube-pre (a very entry level Fx-Audo DP-02 with JAN 5654W tubes) back to the chain to check this. At -15 Db with nothing playing and in pure direct, there was no hiss. At 0 Db there was a audible hiss when ear is pressed to tweeter. When music is playing, it is not noticed.
Thanks for this observation.
In my case , the new old stock BEL ECC83 preamp based on the Dynaco Pas3X circuit do generate some low hiss which is audible (from 1 feet distance from twitter ) but constant at all volume levels (it doesn’t increase with the volume gain ). It’s not audible at all when music is playing.
After speaking with the preamp designer as well as diff audio engineers what I was told was these being high gain tubes this much of hiss will be there (something that’s verified from forums as well ).
It seems ECC83 from Mullard or Telefunken might have lower noise , but costs are prohibitively high.

Anyway apologies if I went OT.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back