HD DTH comparison: Excellent article on Digit site

Hi..

Am using airtel hd with my Yamaha HTiB.

I feel the PQ is very good. And service wise, so far no worries.

When it comes to Sound quality, iam really not satisfied.

I connected the STB through an Optical cable for surround sound because it doesnot have passthrough HDMI feature.

After connecting through optical cable, Iam getting the Dolby digital surround sound as mentioned in the Signal Info. All the details are not audible clearly in the surround sound. Only the surround sound is supported but not the clarity which we get in bluray rips or any other DVDs.

Can anyone share their experience, if they are facing the same problem with their airtel HD STB?

I agree with you PhaniKumar. I have started using a 5.1 system since last Monday only and I really feel that the 5.1 surround sound quality on Airtel HD is NOT up-to the mark. (Even earlier while using Stereo system also, I felt the quality is really screwed.
Lot of unnatural sounds can be observed, specially in rear speakers.

Well...if you would like to have more details on this, I would recommend to go through the detailed analysis of DTH Audio on a DTH specialized forum "SaveOnDish". A user 'prankey' has provided great details about the messy audio on Airtel and TataSky.

As I said in my previous reply I have opted for videocon D2H HD....

while doing the audio quality testing last week I observed that there are two settings in D2H those are stereo and HomeTheater audio output.

I tried multiple time to switch between those and observed that ...:
1. you could feel good theater effect for channels like HBO star movies etc.
2. You may not feel that for rest of movie channels

but there is a certain difference between these two settings and hometheater setting is good. I was watching Fast Furious series and Die Anather Day on those two channels and I could hear good theater effect sounds from my Yamaha-471. Although it may not be 5.1 dolby etc but looks to be having some sort of audio encoding or atleast they are transmitting the Audio as it is which comes from original HBO signal..

Any comments ......?
Any specific guidelines to check if it is 5.1 dolby .....?
one i know is that my HT should recognize it as Dolby.....any thing else ....please educate .....

hi! true hd hasn't arrived here has it? anyone please tell which dth provider will give the 2012 olympics in hd and ipl cricket in hd?

2012 Olympics will be broadcast by ESPN Star if I'm not wrong. So, it should be expected to be broadcast on ESPN HD. All the providers providing ESPN HD, will carry it.

As for IPL HD, last year Tata Sky had provided Set Max HD for the duration of the IPL. Not sure which DTH providers will provide it this year.

hi! true hd hasn't arrived here has it? anyone please tell which dth provider will give the 2012 olympics in hd and ipl cricket in hd?

True 1080p hd is very rare. Only a few ppv channels in us/europe are having true hd

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

I agree with you PhaniKumar. I have started using a 5.1 system since last Monday only and I really feel that the 5.1 surround sound quality on Airtel HD is NOT up-to the mark. (Even earlier while using Stereo system also, I felt the quality is really screwed.
Lot of unnatural sounds can be observed, specially in rear speakers.

Well...if you would like to have more details on this, I would recommend to go through the detailed analysis of DTH Audio on a DTH specialized forum "SaveOnDish". A user 'prankey' has provided great details about the messy audio on Airtel and TataSky.

I would suggest you guys reallign the dish, bcoz I did that few months back and I do get good sound for HD channels, specially, start movies, star gold HD, start plus HD, colors HD, discovery HD etc

but do note that these are highlky compressed dolby signals so it cannot be compared to bluray or mkv files, the sound is a bit thin, but you can tune your AVR to get the max out of it, its better than DHT like videocon and reliance who doesn;t provide 5.1 dolby at all and just fool the customers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back