HD projector

GeorgeO

Folks

I am looking at upgrading my projector, and would appreciate suggestions about specific models able to do HD is what I am looking for.I plan to get it from the US in a container with stuff being shipped for someone.

Any suggestions welcome.

Also, I will need to look at selling off my older Panasonic PT100AE projector, which has hardly been used.It's an older generation model, and what kind of price can I expect for this? A ballpark range will be useful to know.

Thanks

George

If you can live for some time with present PJ and not in a hurry for upgrade,wait for a while so that market can be flooded with 3D(Full HD) compatible projectors..:) So there is no need to look back atleast for the next 5 years or so. All the present PJ were with HDMI 1.3x and itz worth waiting for 1.4x.
:)

As Srini has told, if you need both 3D and FullHD, better to wait for some more time, as options are currently limited and very pricey. But if you dont need 3D, then there are some options to look for

1) Panasonic - PT-AE4000U
2) Epson - Home Cinema 8350
3) Optoma - HD20
4) Vivitek - D95x series

5) JVC - DLA-RS25 > $4000
6) Sharp - XV-Z17000 > $4000

Buying projector from US is better choice. If it can be carried personally, it is all the more good.

If you can afford better go for full HD. Also consider the cost of replacement bulb as one of the key factors in deciding the projector. If possible get a replacement bulb when you purchase the projector.

I finally pulled the rigger on an Optoma HD 20, thanks to Santhosh and also on a 106 inch diagonal Da Lite manual pull down screen. Both ordered from the US. Once it is up and running I will put some of my older gear up for sale.

Bulb

I think cost of a replacement bulb for most of them would near about be same based on price line of projector.

It is better not to go for the replacement bulb at time of buying the projector, because in most cases the bulb would be required after at least 3 years so why store for such huge period and then cost of electronic items keep coming down. Furthermore after 3 years there will be so many new models of projectors with better technology and there could be a change in our interest, life style etc.

It is indeed better to go for a full HD projector provided other gadgets and related of the home theatre are of higher range. :)

V.

Buying projector from US is better choice. If it can be carried personally, it is all the more good.

If you can afford better go for full HD. Also consider the cost of replacement bulb as one of the key factors in deciding the projector. If possible get a replacement bulb when you purchase the projector.

Agree with Vinay on the same, with the fast changing market always better to hold on extra bulb purchases as by the time you actually need one the pricing would be lower. Secondly you may not go for changing the bulb and may change the PJ itself to a newer model.

I recommend Optoma projector ( I own Optoma HD 73, which is fantastic ).If your screen size is less than 120 inch, go for 720p projectors.

I finally pulled the rigger on an Optoma HD 20, thanks to Santhosh and also on a 106 inch diagonal Da Lite manual pull down screen. Both ordered from the US. Once it is up and running I will put some of my older gear up for sale.

Hey,
thanks for the info....
could you let me know from where did u buy this in US. Was it online?

and what price did u get both these items?

cheers,

If your screen size is less than 120 inch, go for 720p projectors.
There is a substantial difference in picture quality between 720p and 1080p even in sizes much smaller than 120 inches. Actually as long as you are watching from a reasonable distance (1.5 - 2.3 x picture height), the benefits of 1080p start becoming evident from 50 inches onwards.

+1 to Sanjay. Viewing distance key in making this decision.

IMO, if you'd like a large screen (say 135 inches) and would like to watch it from 10 to 15ft, you need a 1080p projector and 1080p content. If you are gonna watch the same 135 inch screen from 30 feet, there will not be much difference between 720p and 1080p.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back