HD Ready Plasma or Full HD LCD

true, more pixel density of Full HD will always be an asset to your TV, in my view anything above 32 inch should be Full HD....

avfactor - HD ready is usually inferior to full HD LCD.

What HD ready typically means it the TV is capable of playing HD signals (720p/1080p etc) but the catch is the display resolution of the screen could be 720 or even lower - it depends on the model/manufacterer and we dont have standards for it.

So my suggestion would be to wait for the full HD.

Have experienced both plasma/LCD 46 screens, plasma guess does produce better black levels and has some + points. But LCD sure is coming very close. The things in favour of LCD would be the longer life (LED driver back panels) and lower energy costs compared to plasma and is a bit less fragile than plasma.

Yes panasonic is the best with plasmas.

Best wishes.

Guy,
I saw a panasonic plasma 46" on the demo. But according to Pana website there is no 46" model mentioned!!!! am i missing something? The sales guy doesn't know the model :mad:

It may be 46U20 which is rare but still available. It is a 2010 model. If you are interested in it start bargain from very low say 30K. Remember that it does not have USB. But it is full HD

Guy,
I saw a panasonic plasma 46" on the demo. But according to Pana website there is no 46" model mentioned!!!! am i missing something? The sales guy doesn't know the model :mad:
hey where u had the display and at what price in chennai, kindly pass on please.
with media player on hand someone like me may not bother about the usb at all

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum but I have read a lot in the forum and am convinced there are very knowledgeable members who could help me out.

I am planning to buy a TV (42"). I will mostly watch TATA Sky SD or downloaded movies. Watching distance will be around 8 ft.

I had decided for panasonic plasma P42U30D (which was Full HD) but since it is not available I thought P42X30 may be considered (but is HD Ready). Is there real difference in PQ of both the TVs.

Considering the above please advise if P42U30D is worth waiting or P42X30 may be purchased to save money. Or should any Full HD LCD TV be considered over P42X30.

Hi, I am happy you made the right choice to go for plasma over LCD. But got a bit confused on the selection of tvs. Panasonic make the BEST plasmas..................only in their hi end models. The reason being panasonics ground breaking technology of neo pdp panels only found in V,G,S series and not U,X series. Hence it makes sense to buy a pan plasma only if you are getting the neo pdp models. Try to source the 42V20, that would be your best best. IT is the best 2D tv in the market. If unable to source it, then look at Samsung plasmas. Their entry plasmas are a lot better than the pan U/X series for the same price.

Regards

Sure.

With the help of this forum I came to conclusion that for TATA Sky SD & downloaded movies, 42X30 is the TV for me but Blasto has suggested that D450 is better than X30. I am a little confused now between X30 & D450. Can somebody clear the confusion.

As i have earlier stated, pan X series is the bottom of the line..........the samsung D450 is more superior in every way, rest assured go for the D450. Only go for pan if you can source the V20.

As i have earlier stated, pan X series is the bottom of the line..........the samsung D450 is more superior in every way, rest assured go for the D450. Only go for pan if you can source the V20.

i completely disagree with you. Pan x30 @32.5k is worth buying. I have this model, so can say very confidently that this is good buy at this price point. HD ready Plasma is anyday better than Full HD LCD. why spend more money on samsung when you almost same/better PQ. Both are HD ready TVs. other little differences doesnt matter as long as you consider TV as idiot box, dont have very high expectations.

i completely disagree with you. Pan x30 @32.5k is worth buying. I have this model, so can say very confidently that this is good buy at this price point. HD ready Plasma is anyday better than Full HD LCD. why spend more money on samsung when you almost same/better PQ. Both are HD ready TVs. other little differences doesnt matter as long as you consider TV as idiot box, dont have very high expectations.
Samsung 43D450 for 34k is better choice than X30.Leave aside better PQ, extra inch makes it more VFM at 34k. So spending extra 1.5k is totally worth.

Samsung 43D450 for 34k is better choice than X30.Leave aside better PQ, extra inch makes it more VFM at 34k. So spending extra 1.5k is totally worth.

r we missing something...?? what about the warranty....??
3yrs for panny is a no brainer....;) plus build qaulity wise panny beats samsung.....

r we missing something...?? what about the warranty....??
3yrs for panny is a no brainer....;) plus build qaulity wise panny beats samsung.....

Ya if one consider 3 years warranty its good. But on the other hand D450 has better PQ, +1inch, better SD upscaling ,better USB formats playback. So onecant say X30 is more VFM or vice versa. Its upto to individual whether he wants extra warranty or better PQ.

Ya if one consider 3 years warranty its good. But on the other hand D450 has better PQ, +1inch, better SD upscaling ,better USB formats playback. So onecant say X30 is more VFM or vice versa. Its upto to individual whether he wants extra warranty or better PQ.

actually better PQ also varies from person to person.......as i personally like the natural PQ of panny X30 rather than a bit unnatural PQ of samsung.....so everything except the warranty varies from person to person......coz i guess everybody wants better warranty on any electrical appliances now-a-days....;)

Sorry, don't agree, i saw d450 and x30 side by side on numerous occasions, d450 is clearly inferior....image crispness and colors were more vibrant in x30, and on d450 images look grainy if u look close, with same source input....(1024x768 resolution in d450??why sammy do that)although i have to say blacks of d450 are better than x30.....but overall x30 delivers interms of colors and image crispness, also x30 is brighter(whites are white and not grey as in d450)....anyways buying decision depends on individual taste...

51d450 is a disaster...hd ready..51 inch....through dvd input i checked...grains...bad...i had almost bought d490...luckily i got opportunity to play same 720p dvd rip on it and was saved of making a blunder...

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Samsung-PN51D450-Plasma-HDTV-Review.htm

panasonics plasmas are superior...its just that the prices and slim factor of D450 and D490 are SO TEMPTING that folks are getting confused among them...btw..yes x series are bottom of line...yes...samsung plasmas are more value for money...

Last edited:
Sorry, don't agree, i saw d450 and x30 side by side on numerous occasions, d450 is clearly inferior....image crispness and colors were more vibrant in x30, and on d450 images look grainy if u look close, with same source input....(1024x768 resolution in d450??why sammy do that)although i have to say blacks of d450 are better than x30.....but overall x30 delivers interms of colors and image crispness, also x30 is brighter(whites are white and not grey as in d450)....anyways buying decision depends on individual taste...

i do agree.....

agree, if your observation and expert reviewer's observations match and expert reviewer's inferences are favorable to the model, and you like what you see, go for it!:)

Reviews can help as starting point in your search. But finally you need to believe your eyes. Ultimately you will be watching TV with your own eyes, not with reviewer's eyes.

51d450 is a disaster...hd ready..51 inch....through dvd input i checked...grains...bad...i had almost bought d490...luckily i got opportunity to play same 720p dvd rip on it and was saved of making a blunder...

Samsung PN51D450 Plasma HDTV Review - TelevisionInfo.com

panasonics plasmas are superior...its just that the prices and slim factor of D450 and D490 are SO TEMPTING that folks are getting confused among them...btw..yes x series are bottom of line...yes...samsung plasmas are more value for money...

Both X30 and D450 in 42" has 1024x768.
X30 delivers in terms of colours and D450 in terms of blacks?? Are you sure you haven't reversed?
And Yeah, Whites are grey in samsung (In all plasmas)

Also, Did you play the DVD using the same player? Grains are not inherent to the TV but to the signal most of the times.

yup, sorry just checked x30 is also 1024x768....
now actually i am even more in favor of x30!! with same resolution better PQ.
- same demo videos i saw on both models....clearly blacks better in d450(the black bar - cinema scope and the darkness of the scene almost blendened with the bars...but in x30 the black bars were a bit washed out(like in leds)
(check the below review for numbers)

- but yes, colors in x30 seemed to be more vibrant(checked the settings...normal enough)..whites were more white...in just one glance at both the panels you can distinguish....

just for the records-
"Horrendous resolution issues" is what the editor of televisioninfo commented about 51d450..these guys use scientific, standardized and advanced tools to review..have numbers to back everything...they are unbiased as well...
How We Test TVs - TelevisionInfo.com

hence, their observations hold "little" bit more value than ours...
i was surprised to see how accurate and spot on, they were when i actually compared it with what i saw....
- same dedicated dvd player with normal dabbang dvd with hdmi connnection hence the signal would be good, but in 51d450 its was pixelated, you gotta have a viewing distance of 15 feet! to not to notice it..
Samsung PN51D450 Plasma HDTV Review - TelevisionInfo.com

the resolution is too low for the tv 51 size, its a disaster.. in this model...43 inch d450 is still decent enough tough i have to agree...because these flaws are less visible due to smaller size....

Both X30 and D450 in 42" has 1024x768.
X30 delivers in terms of colours and D450 in terms of blacks?? Are you sure you haven't reversed?
And Yeah, Whites are grey in samsung (In all plasmas)

Also, Did you play the DVD using the same player? Grains are not inherent to the TV but to the signal most of the times.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back