HDD Based Player

Your current config is decent.............My Comments:-
The processor is good , since it has Hyper threading it will be good for MKV /AVI, HD Rips as well as DVD Video. Do you want Blu Ray ? If yes then wait for sometime , atleast another 1.5 years to make the move to a quad core. It will also make BLU RAY drives common and cheaper by then.
Thanks! But I find video & audio sync problem (audio coming first) for 720p & above. Also, Iam using KM player and in superspeed mode. Some 720p files the video is not smooth. So, what would be the problem?

Thanks! But I find video & audio sync problem (audio coming first) for 720p & above. Also, Iam using KM player and in superspeed mode. Some 720p files the video is not smooth. So, what would be the problem?

Are you saying the video is stuttering while playback or is it getting stuck altogether after a while ?

This is a problem with codecs. If you use Vista, This is where you will get a very reliable codec package. Vista Codec Package Homepage (VCP). I have been using this package for some time and watching .mkv files is a breeze. The stutter you are getting is due to old Haali splitter or VOBsub.

For XP, KLite codec pack is good. These packages ensure that default windows media player is able to play all formats without having to install any additional media player.

This is a problem with codecs. If you use Vista, This is where you will get a very reliable codec package. Vista Codec Package Homepage (VCP). I have been using this package for some time and watching .mkv files is a breeze. The stutter you are getting is due to old Haali splitter or VOBsub.

For XP, KLite codec pack is good. These packages ensure that default windows media player is able to play all formats without having to install any additional media player.

Currently, I have windows XP with service pack 2 installed with matroska codecs (combined community codec pack - CCCP) installed. I will try installing K-lite codec pack, but for this should I uninstall the existing CCCP?

Last edited:
Currently, I have windows XP with service pack 2 installed with matroska codecs (combined community codec pack - CCCP) installed. I will try installing K-lite codec pack, but for this should I uninstall the existing CCCP?

Yes , I think when u try and install K lite , it will itself ask you to uninstall CCCP. Here is what i use to do when I had a HT machine. I used to install KLite and then would use Cowon Jet Audio for playback. You can also use Media Player Classic if you want !

Hi,

Try using VLC player ( VLC media player - Overview ) its a freeware and the best player. You can play any file and I hope it resolves all the problems. You can even select your audio streaming to spdif, 5.1 , stereo etc (If your MB supports).

Thanks

Ya,i was abt to say that,Vlc is a very good player.
Do not play ur vids in jet audio,particularly the HD vids,will lag for sure.
Instead play em in ur VLC,which can handle any type of file and codec.

Also speaking of the computer config,i would recommend you to change the graphic card to more recent one which can support HDMI,The ATI hd 2600 is a good choice as it also provides you the HD audio drivers for improved sound.
or you can also go for the 8800 gt which is a very good card.
You would also need a decent sound card,probably like sound blaster from creative.

Vj

Thanks! guys for your valuable inputs. I tried uninstalling the CCCP and installed K-lite. But the now the playback has become worse. I again uninstalled all and installed VLC, here playback was fine for the first 5 seconds and then video stuck.

I uninstalled everything and installed KMP player, and set to "superspeed" mode. As mentioned earlier the playback was not normal but little slow motion with audio delay.

As Vj box said, I think upgrading the graphics and dedicated sound card should give considerable improvements. But as I said earlier, my system is having AGP slot, so pls suggest me an AGP based ATI card that has HDMI output. Also if possible, how much would it cost from mid to high end card in AGP series with HDMI.

Thanks!

It is just an indication that your codec package has become corrupted. Un-installing is not going to be any help. The biggest culprit here is CCCP package. They do bundle in VOBsub and Haali alongwith AC3 filter, their execution in putting all these things into windows is not very great. Presently your system is a mish-mash of codecs and players. Messy situation indeed.

Magic,
AGPs are kinda obsolete now,as we have all the MBs with PCI express and we also have the SLI based boards.
So also think over this,whether u would also need a MB upgrade.

Vj

I had the same problem with KM Player (audio-video mismatch). I installed CoreAVC Pro (coreavc.com) and made it the video codec in KM Player. That solved the problem. You can get the trial version and see if it works. Hope this helps.

Raj is right. CoreAVC player should sort out problems. D/L trial version and PM me if you need serial.

Hi guys, thanks for the info. I will try installing after proper format so that all the junk gets cleared my system and I will let you know.

Thanks!

Hi guys, thanks for the info. I will try installing after proper format so that all the junk gets cleared my system and I will let you know.

Thanks!

Before buying a graphics card be very careful. For example if you buy a 8800 GT , you will have to buy an smps to support the high end card's to go with it . Besides 8800 gt needs a separate power source diretly from the SMPS. So you may end up buying a cooler master/corsair along with the Graphics Card . However HD 2600 was the last graphics card from ATI series which does not require a separate power source from the SMPS. It draws all its power requirements from the Motherboard itself. You do need a PCi express 16x slot however.

I really dont know why ur HT machine is stuttering . I myself had a 2.8 HT for nearly 2.5 years and it was great .When i upgraded (Heating issues with HT) to a core 2 duo 2.13 around 2 years back , I could not see any noticeable performance jump even while encoding dvd to divx . For me my 2.8 HT was Damn Fast ! Stuttering could also be due to the Graphics Driver.
Upgrade to the latest Graphics driver and give it another try.

If nothing works then reinstall windows and then try it again ! Please take up backup of all data before formatting Windows ! Best of Luck

Before buying a graphics card be very careful. For example if you buy ................................. Please take up backup of all data before formatting Windows ! Best of Luck

Thanks for the info! but HTPC I feel more like a PC sitting next to my home theatre and LCD with Keyboard & Mouse. Is there any software like we see in PS3 (linux based) for media operation using simple user interface.

A P4 2.4 just about barely has the capability to decode 720p mkv's in real time which is why you are experiencing av sync issues (video decoding notkeeping up with decoding in real time)

Frankly, a full blown HTPC is simple enough and cheap to build for starters
Of course, sky is the limit when you start looking around for accoutrements that make the experience more complete.

I decided to bite the bullet and did a complete overhaul of my archaic AMD 64 3200+ (marginally better than your 2.4 P4) when I faced the same issue

The base components are cheap enough and a new Core 2 duo processor, memory and motherboard will not cost much

However, once you are done with that, you may want to get yourself a good media center style casing, a keyboard/mouse combo like the logitech dinovo
mini and a decent universal remote like the logitech harmony to complete the exercise

here are a few pointers to get you started:
HTPC building guide for Dummies!!! - Guides and Tutorials - TechEnclave

Budget HTPC - Done - PC Peripherals - TechEnclave (last page has pics)

http://www.techenclave.com/show-off/for-my-eyes-and-ears-only-110525.html?highlight=htpc (With pics again)

Last edited:
A P4 2.4 just about barely has the capability to decode 720p mkv's in real time which is why you are experiencing av sync issues (video decoding notkeeping up with decoding in real time)...............................here are a few pointers to get you started:
HTPC building guide for Dummies!!! - Guides and Tutorials - TechEnclave

Budget HTPC - Done - PC Peripherals - TechEnclave (last page has pics)

For my eyes and ears only - Show-Off - TechEnclave (With pics again)

Thanks for your links, it has enlightened my knowledge towards HTPC. Iam going through these and will surely come to conclusion soon. Thanks once again to all guys!

Thanks for your links, it has enlightened my knowledge towards HTPC. Iam going through these and will surely come to conclusion soon. Thanks once again to all guys!

You are always welcome . Please dont hesitate to put forward more questions.

Seeing your interest in HTPC all I can suggest is that if you are going for a complete overhaul then you can do it in steps. Acording to me the way of doing the same would be :-

Trade in your old PC and in exchange get the following basic stuff:-

1)a new mobo ( quad core compatible)
2) Core 2 Duo/ Amd processor
3)Retain your old dvd drive
4) I really dont know what HDD you have but if it is decent then retain your old HDD . Mind you the new mobos have 8-12 sata ports and only oe ide port. So if you have an ide hdd pls select a mobo which has alteast one ide out.
5) a new cabinet - HTPC cabinet/Simple but elegant looking cabinet sych as iball baby series
6) Wireless Keyboard / Mouse
7)3 GB DDr2 800mhz ram

Total Cost around 12K

Thats it. Let your onboard graphics memory do all the processing. Connect to your lcd via vga cable.

Second Step:-

1) Buy a decent graphics card
2)Buy a decent sound card
3) Buy a remote

Total Cost around 12k

As for the simple interface go for a windows vista hp installation . The windows media centre interface is simple and easy to use.

You are always welcome . Please dont hesitate to put forward more questions......................................4) I really dont know what HDD you have but if it is decent then retain your old HDD . Mind you the new mobos have 8-12 sata ports and only oe ide port. So if you have an ide hdd pls select a mobo which has alteast one ide out.
..........................Thats it. Let your onboard graphics memory do all the processing. Connect to your lcd via vga cable.
..............................As for the simple interface go for a windows vista hp installation . The windows media centre interface is simple and easy to use.

Thanks for the additional inputs. I have 160 GB Seagate (SATA). Actually I don't want to disturb my existing system. I will assemble a dedicated HTPC using your inputs and other info given. Regarding Windows Vista HP installation - where can I get? I have Vista Ultimate edition which Iam not installed due to less system config.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back