HDMI "Mode not supported" error.

John

Hi folks,

Got a 32-feet HDMI cable. I connected it to a Samsung Plasma 42" TV today at a friend's place with a Philips DVD player. Would not work. Error says "Mode not supported." Googling about it brings out similar problems with Samsung TVs.

Anybody know whether it points to a "defect" of the cable per se? Or an issue specific to Samsung. Won't be able to test out the TV with another TV quite right now. Any inputs most welcome.

Got a 32-feet HDMI cable. I connected it to a Samsung Plasma 42" TV today at a friend's place with a Philips DVD player. Would not work. Error says "Mode not supported."
Anybody know whether it points to a "defect" of the cable per se? Or an issue specific to Samsung. Won't be able to test out the TV with another TV quite right now. Any inputs most welcome.

32 feet HDMI is a bit dicey and needs cable of high quality. Having said that, it is best to remove the culprits one by one, - the TV, DVD Player and finally the cable.

By saying 'Won't be able to test out the TV with another TV ', I am assuming you wont be able to test the cable with another TV. But fist eliminate that both the TV and DVD player are working with another cable. Get a cable for a short while from another friend, the TV dealer, or from the cable dealer. If both the TV and DVD player work with a short run cable, then the fault lies with the cable, right?

Also ensure you have all the settings on the TV and the DVD player right.

Cheers

Cheers

Hi folks,

Got a 32-feet HDMI cable. I connected it to a Samsung Plasma 42" TV today at a friend's place with a Philips DVD player. Would not work. Error says "Mode not supported." Googling about it brings out similar problems with Samsung TVs.

hi, is the plasm full HD or 720p , make sure the DVDP is set to the right output ,if the DVDP is sending out 1080p signal and if the tv is only 720p ,the error msg

Sounds like you are trying to display a resolution that is not supported by the TV or there could be a handshaking issues with the TV (this is due to the implementation of the HDMI protocol by the manufacturers). Few things to check this.

To Ensure correct resolution :

1. Use a composite cable to connect the DVD to the TV first and check the HDMI settings in the menu as well as the resolution of the picture.
2. Make sure it is set it to a compatible one such as 480P, 720P or 1080i or P depending on what your TV supports.
3. Reconnect the HDMI and see if it works.

Handshaking Fix (this happens mostly with STBs):

1. First, turn off both the DVD and the TV; then:
2. Turn on the TV followed by DVD after about 5 secs
3. Conversely, turn on the DVD and then the TV after 5 secs

This is not a Samsung only issue as much as it is a setting issue. I have seen this on Pana, LG TVs as well. Let us know if this works.

Hi folks,

Thanks to one and all. Turned out to be a defective cable. Got it tested in a Sony showrooms with multiple displays and DVD players.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back