HDMI ?? quality advantage over component video ?

square_wave

1. Apart from the fact that HDMI can carry video and audio in the same cable, does it have any advantage over component video cables when it comes to picture quality?

2. Do some DVD players output the new hdtv resolutions like 720p/ 1080i / 1080p etc only via the HDMI and not component video ?

3. Do some plasma/lcd only accept these new hdtv resolutions like 720p/ 1080i / 1080p etc only via the HDMI and not component video ?

4.Any other picture quality related issues apart from convenience with HDMI I should be aware of ? I read somewhere that upconverted video cannot be output through component etc..

Because of some copyright law in some devices its against AACS upconverting over analogue component connections like in the xbox 360.

Last edited:
1- hdmi is all digital just like your dvd player and your t.v/projector. component is analogue. with your hdmi your chain is full unadulterated digital.
not that you can really tell one from the other! also equal quality hdmi cables are cheaper than component.

2- not any that i have come across or heard of. maybe rare models or cheaper brands.

3- nope. (same as above)

4- with component I notice i can make more adjustments to the picture quality than with hdmi. also hdmi systems have that wretched hdcp nonsense going on nowadays so make sure source and display are both compatible.
not true, upscaled dvds can be displayed via component video.

like someone said, hdmi is A.D (after digital) and component is B.C (before computers).

k

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back