headphone for samsung s3 without amp

swami

Hi,

Sorry for such an open ended post. I am utterly confused on what type/category headphones to buy. All I know is they should sound great and shouldn't be heavy on pocket. Also, second-hand (but good condition) from owners on this forum will do. I am kind of curious on over the ear (supraural?) and non-open back (so that less environmental noise and less leaks).

I will use mp3, flac, 24bit type of music files on S3 mostly. Other times mp3 on Ipod. Sometimes, I will want to connect to laptop directly or maybe via my denon (see signature below). Maybe, I would like to listen to TV during occasional latenight programs (not to disturb wife :D )

I auditioned Grado Sr60 and wasn't very happy
I listened to a beats (heavy price 18K or so) in a mall, and they were good
I currently own in ear (Senn CX 180 I guess)

My music genre is "extremely varied"

Please drop in your suggestions (really need them).
Thanks

My money for such usage would be on the Skullcandy Aviator. Driven very easily by my S3, also works great with my amplifier.
Goes for between Rs 10,000 and Rs 12,000 but Skullcandy's own outlets offer it at a 50 % discount (which isn't publicised or advertised).

Have you tried the JVC HA RX 700/900 twins ? they cost 50-70USD or so, and are generally considered VFM. Of course there are slightly better things at higher price points

rx900 is the way to go. low impedence and easy to drive.. hardly 70 $...
else sony xb500 or higher models..
senn.. (many of em )

skullcandy's are crap.. no offence to anyone..

for 10k you'd get bling of 5k and sound of 2k..

Ironhorse,
My humble two bits - have you even heard the Skullcandy Aviator? Don't go my impressions but here are 2 reviews by persons who know their headphones at head-fi and innerfidelity.
Having said that and despite owning the Aviator, even I wouldn't pay its full price but as I pointed out, it is sold at a 50% per cent discount by Skullcandy's outlets and at that price, it's a terrific bargain.

Ironhorse,
My humble two bits - have you even heard the Skullcandy Aviator? Don't go my impressions but here are 2 reviews by persons who know their headphones at head-fi and innerfidelity.
Having said that and despite owning the Aviator, even I wouldn't pay its full price but as I pointed out, it is sold at a 50% per cent discount by Skullcandy's outlets and at that price, it's a terrific bargain.

i havent heard the "Avaitors" however did hear as few of the models in IEM's and HP's. if you suggest that they are actually look i would definitely try to give them a listen as and when possible.

for 50% price if they are good i am gamble as i come with a open mind looking for good sound irrelevant of the make.. :)

the few low end ones gave me bad feeling.

Thanks for your responses. I've been quite occupied at work lately, would try to audition some of these as soon as I hit a mall/market. I'm in Delhi, do you know of any place where these are put up on demo? Or any forum member who can let me audition his headphones.

Also, if you can suggest a few more I'd love to try them too. Please advise.

Swami,
The Skullcandy Aviator I referred to is available for audition at Skullcandy's outlet at Great India Place in Noida - small kiosk on ground floor that has no large signage. Go have a listen. It's one of only two places I know where's it on sale at 50 % off, but again they may not be advertising or talking about the discount.
I keep pretty odd working hours but can try to let you audition my 'phones.
(Just for the record: I have no interests in the firm Skullcandy)

I purchased a headphone yesterday - couldn't wait anymore; and it was more of an instinctive decision than a rational one!

Auiditioned:
dr dre beats solo hd, studio
sony mdr xb 400, 600, 900, 920 and one more (22K around), MDR V55
UE (two models 17 and 19K)
Skull candy (a cheap model 4K or so)
Bose (some 8.5K model)
Could not audition skullcandy aviator as it was packed

from value for money point of view and my top expenditure level, I liked Bose, Sony v55

Purchased V55.

I will reserve my initial reactions in order for me to listen for a few days before making an opinion.

Anyone else has experienced MDR V55? please share experience/opinion.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back