Headroom

Vivek Batra

Hi Guys

I am going to place an amp order tomorrow which is Class A integrated that churns out 30 WPC at 8 ohms 60 at 4 ohms. Something just came to my mind is headroom.

What I understand about headroom is, the difference between the power an amp can produce and the power asked from the amp. The extra power amp has is "headroom" and more the headroom, better it is.

If at all times I need say 20 WPC then I have headroom of 10? Say amp B that gives 100 WPC at 8 ohms and the asking is same 20 WPC, has more headroom? 8 ohms.

I know there are tube amps that with as low as 8 or 10 wpc and they can handle the load very well.
It means they do not have sufficient headroom at all?

Should I consider this as an important factor?

Thanks.

Last edited:
your particular speakers work well with low powered tube amps. I don’t think you have to worry about headroom with that amp. Class AB theoretically gives you even more headroom but that extra power is likely at a lower sound quality level.

your particular speakers work well with low powered tube amps. I don’t think you have to worry about headroom with that amp. Class AB theoretically gives you even more headroom but that extra power is likely at a lower sound quality level.
With my little to no knowledge, I am bit nervous before making a big purchase. :( hence my queries.

Hi Guys

I am going to place an amp order tomorrow which is Class A integrated that churns out 30 WPC at 8 ohms 60 at 4 ohms. Something just came to my mind is headroom.

What I understand about headroom is, the difference between the power an amp can produce and the power asked from the amp. The extra power amp has is "headroom" and more the headroom, better it is.

If at all times I need say 20 WPC then I have headroom of 10? Say amp B that gives 100 WPC at 8 ohms and the asking is same 20 WPC, has more headroom? 8 ohms.

I know there are tube amps that with as low as 8 or 10 wpc and they can handle the load very well.

Thanks.
your speaker may not need more than 5 W..everything else is headroom for you !

Hi Guys

Thanks.

Hi vivek :)

If we are comparing a 30 w class A amp and a 100 w class A amp, then the 100 watter will have greater dynamic headroom.

Amp specs are still very shady. If you need 10W of power, and you are getting a 30W class A amp, then I must say....you have all the power you ever need.

I have a 100W class A power amp from krell. This was built 40 years back...and it properly spanks my more expensive and more powerful on paper amps. Hope this helps...

Hi vivek :)

If we are comparing a 30 w class A amp and a 100 w class A amp, then the 100 watter will have greater dynamic headroom.

Amp specs are still very shady. If you need 10W of power, and you are getting a 30W class A amp, then I must say....you have all the power you ever need.

I have a 100W class A power amp from krell. This was built 40 years back...and it properly spanks my more expensive and more powerful on paper amps. Hope this helps...
Sorry for some missing info in my question. I am comparing 30 WPC Class A to 120 WPC Class AB.

A 30W Pure class A draws the entire power for 30W output and what it cannot use to drive the speaker, gets converted to heat
A 100W AB, depending on its Class A Bias , will draw only that lower power and when there is need for more power will draw the extra power as needed

Thats the reason a Pure Class A is effortless in driving and can seem to have more headroom since the power is all there instantly

But again, Your speaker is more than 96dB in sensitivity..I doubt it will need more than 5W so the 30W is as good as a 100W all other things being equal

Hence instead of wattage, what you need to see is which amp does the 1W output better than the other than the headroom since thats what you will be listening to 90% of the time !!

A 30W Pure class A draws the entire power for 30W output and what it cannot use to drive the speaker, gets converted to heat
A 100W AB, depending on its Class A Bias , will draw only that lower power and when there is need for more power will draw the extra power as needed

Thats the reason a Pure Class A is effortless in driving and can seem to have more headroom since the power is all there instantly

But again, Your speaker is more than 96dB in sensitivity..I doubt it will need more than 5W so the 30W is as good as a 100W all other things being equal

Hence instead of wattage, what you need to see is which amp does the 1W output better than the other than the headroom since thats what you will be listening to 90% of the time !!
Good explanation arj. I read something similar that Class A amp have larger capacitors that keep the power in reserve and the power is available instantaneous.

Thanks to ALL for educating me on this.

Good explanation arj. I read something similar that Class A amp have larger capacitors that keep the power in reserve and the power is available instantaneous.

Thanks to ALL for educating me on this.

Hi again vivek :)

If it's any consolation. My 100W class A krell though huge in size....just spanks my class D 190w devialet as well as my 160W parasound halo integrated when it comes to drive power. It has the best bass slam I've ever heard and a very very sweet mid range and treble. If you don't want to go fully tubed, then class A is the closest to that magic. Please don't hesitate...take the plunge :D

There is a linear performance range for amplifiers and within this range is where amplifiers perform best. The more you crank up the amp heavily to drive your speakers, the more chances are that you're driving it outside it's linear performance range. So, yes, headroom is important.

If it's any consolation. My 100W class A krell though huge in size....just spanks my class D 190w devialet as well as my 160W parasound halo integrated when it comes to drive power. It has the best bass slam I've ever heard and a very very sweet mid range and treble. If you don't want to go fully tubed, then class A is the closest to that magic. Please don't hesitate...take the plunge :D
Just few hours more :)

Hi Guys

Thanks.

I would say that do not over-complicate your hobby/requirements. Luxman is a very renowned brand. If you (in rarest of the cases) end up not liking it, you will have to the LEARN to like it.

So finally buried all the confusions and inhibitions and took the plunge. :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back