Marantz cinema 50 vs pm7000n for 2ch music

Venkyrenga

I am getting both Marantz Cinema 50 AV receiver and PM7000N integrated amplifier for the same price. But in the USA the cinema 50 is more than double the price of 7000n. So it is a huge discount on cinema 50 here. I will be using it only for 2 channel audio though. Going by the specs cinema 50 is definitely better as it has 110 WPC compared to 60 WPC. But some told me that even the less expensive integrated amp will sound better for 2 channel music compared to an expensive av receiver as it is made specifically for that. I am unable to decide here. Can you guys shed some light on this?

I am getting both Marantz Cinema 50 AV receiver and PM7000N integrated amplifier for the same price. But in the USA the cinema 50 is more than double the price of 7000n. So it is a huge discount on cinema 50 here. I will be using it only for 2 channel audio though. Going by the specs cinema 50 is definitely better as it has 110 WPC compared to 60 WPC. But some told me that even the less expensive integrated amp will sound better for 2 channel music compared to an expensive av receiver as it is made specifically for that. I am unable to decide here. Can you guys shed some light on this?

If using AVR for 2 channel output, it will sound good. I use a SR6011 for 7.1 at my place but when i hear music at stereo mode, it sounds really great. Audyssey helps here.....my settings for audyssey is FLAT and not reference....this is my experience...lets see what other FMs share

If using AVR for 2 channel output, it will sound good. I use a SR6011 for 7.1 at my place but when i hear music at stereo mode, it sounds really great. Audyssey helps here.....my settings for audyssey is FLAT and not reference....this is my experience...lets see what other FMs share
Very true, I experimented with 2 channel on the Pioneer AVR in Pure Direct mode. Its supposed to output 95 watts - 2 channel driven at 8 ohms (US rating). Sounded very good for music quite contrary to what we believe (integrated for music and AVR for music).

+1 for Cinema 50: it will allow you to expand options in the future.

Hmm, my post was deleted so let me try to be clearer this time.

I am getting both Marantz Cinema 50 AV receiver and PM7000N integrated amplifier for the same price.
Something not right here. If you are purchasing the above from authorised dealers in India, the Cinema 50 will be twice or more than the PM7000N. So am guessing that you are getting it either second hand or from an unauthorised dealer or it's a re-furbished product. If you are getting it second hand from someone you know, no issues but with the other two, please do your homework before purchasing.

Since you are getting both of them at the same price assuming that there is nothing wrong with the Cinema 50, then the Cinema 50 is a steal at that price. If you are purchasing the Cinema 50 because it has more watts than PM7000N then don't because the PM7000N will play as good as better than the Cinema 50 and for the most part, it will last longer than the Cinema 50 (generally speaking) as it has less parts that can get damaged. Most AVRs will give problems after a few years, especially the HDMI boards.

Hmm, my post was deleted so let me try to be clearer this time.
Not only yours but many others also, nothing out of the ordinary was mentioned or advised from what I read except probably the price of the cinema 50 which might have triggered the action.

From where you are getting the Cinema 50 at the same price of PM7000N, if you don't mind sharing? Also is it a new one or used one?

I find it very hard to believe that both are being sold at the same price. Since the Cinema 50 will be much more expensive given the extra components + software licensing charges.
Pls be cautious and make sure that it is with official warranty and brand new from wherever you are getting it from at that price.

Not only yours but many others also, nothing out of the ordinary was mentioned or advised from what I read except probably the price of the cinema 50 which might have triggered the action.
Agree. If a Cinema 50 is available for a good price with official warranty and gst bill, I would like to also get one then!

Hi all, sorry for the misinformation. I just checked with the dealer he mistook CD 50n price for Cinema 50.

He is still offering it at a great price even though it's considerably more than pm7000n. I might get it for my 2 channel just so I can utilise the extra features and power. All reviews say the music sound quality is excellent and very close to 40n.

Of course, you can use a AV Receiver to listen to 2 channel stereo. I have done that myself when I had the Marantz SR 7010 with me. The sound quality was quite good for my tastes and my listening levels.

But let me put some numbers for thought.

Lets say, the Marantz Cinema 50 costs 2,50,000. Now, this receiver has 9 channels of amplification among various other bells and whistles. This brings down the cost of the receiver for two channels to around 40,000 or less. Which means that you are using an amp costing 40,000 rupees to drive your Elacs. This could very well work as the Elacs will sound good at this quality of equipment. And yes, there are cost benefits of mass production with the AVRs when compared to two channel.

Now, don't you think that a two channel amp costing around 40000 will also sound as good or better than the receiver in two channel stereo as it is designed specifically for the purpose ?

Of course, you can use a AV Receiver to listen to 2 channel stereo. I have done that myself when I had the Marantz SR 7010 with me. The sound quality was quite good for my tastes and my listening levels.

But let me put some numbers for thought.

Lets say, the Marantz Cinema 50 costs 2,50,000. Now, this receiver has 9 channels of amplification among various other bells and whistles. This brings down the cost of the receiver for two channels to around 40,000 or less. Which means that you are using an amp costing 40,000 rupees to drive your Elacs. This could very well work as the Elacs will sound good at this quality of equipment. And yes, there are cost benefits of mass production with the AVRs when compared to two channel.

Now, don't you think that a two channel amp costing around 40000 will also sound as good or better than the receiver in two channel stereo as it is designed specifically for the purpose ?
I think there is something wrong with your calculation. When a 9 channel avr plays in a 2 channel mode, the rest 7 channels of amplification don't remain unutilized they are all directed to that 2 channels in use. Only the ports remain unutilized. So I am only paying extra for the connectors and ports.
So a 2.5 lac avr should sound as good as a 2 lac stereo amp.

When a 9 channel avr plays in a 2 channel mode, the rest 7 channels of amplification don't remain unutilized they are all directed to that 2 channels in use. Only the ports remain unutilized. So I am only paying extra for the connectors and ports.
So a 2.5 lac avr should sound as good as a 2 lac stereo amp.
Not correct. The 7 channels will remain unused. I suggest that you look for information on AVRs and stereo amps from reliable sites on the net before you do your purchase.

Audioholics would be a good place to start.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier

Not correct. The 7 channels will remain unused. I suggest that you look for information on AVRs and stereo amps from reliable sites on the net before you do your purchase.

Audioholics would be a good place to start.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier
In that case why does the WPC increase as we reduce the no. of channels? And why do avr manufacturers always mention only their 2 channel rating in their specs?

To my understanding manufacturers mention only 2 channel rating because there are only two power supplies in an avr which is split into more incase we are using more channels.

Last edited:
In that case why does the WPC increase as we reduce the no. of channels? And why do avr manufacturers always mention only their 2 channel rating in their specs?

To my understanding manufacturers mention only 2 channel rating because there are only two power supplies in an avr which is split into more incase we are using more channels.
Read, browse, research. You will find answers to all your questions and more.

Don't buy equipment before that as you will end up putting your money in the wrong place for the wrong reasons.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back