Marantz SR6015 vs Cinema 50 vs Denon AVR

X man

considering AVR purchase. Confused between SR6015 (which is getting discontinued and hence much cheaper) vs. Cinema 50 - which is much more expensive. DTS X etc and Dirac compatibility are the main differences, beside 4 subwoofer flexibility that I wont use. Any suggestions or thoughts? I am used to Marantz (had SR6004 earlier) but should I consider Denon

considering AVR purchase. Confused between SR6015 (which is getting discontinued and hence much cheaper) vs. Cinema 50 - which is much more expensive. DTS X etc and Dirac compatibility are the main differences, beside 4 subwoofer flexibility that I wont use. Any suggestions or thoughts? I am used to Marantz (had SR6004 earlier) but should I consider Denon
The Cinema 50 is 3.23L - check out the Pioneer Elite LX-505. I’m using it an I’m very happy. It’s got 6 x 8K inputs, 120W x 9 channels and 11 channel processing, Dirac. The Dirac license fee is included in the price and for the Cinema 50 is an additional $350. LX-505 has an MRP of around 1.7, I paid 1.6 so it’s much more VFM compared to the Cinema 50 also. A friend of mine got the 6015 at 1.4 recently but I think the Elite is definitely worth the 20k difference

If the features & performance of the SR6015 suffices your requirements for now and a couple of years. makes sense to get it now at a good price and use the same.

You should check other options available in the market and also audition where possible. Which Denon model are you looking at?

considering AVR purchase. Confused between SR6015 (which is getting discontinued and hence much cheaper) vs. Cinema 50
Stick to the 6015 and save a bunch of cash. I am sure it can do 90% of what the Cinema 50 can do.
You do have DTS:X, the same number of amplifiers with identical power output, audio calibration software thats quite capable, 8K support (If this becomes a thing), just as many HDMI terminals (IN and OUT).

When it comes to Automatic calibration, you do it once, twice, maybe thrice (If you change a loudspeaker or add extra channels) and forget about it. I am not sure what Dirac can do better over Audyssey that would justify paying INR >300,000!

Other than refreshed aesthetics, I don't know what the Cinema 50 does better over the SR6015.

For what it's worth, iam using a 11 year old marantz SR6011. It has been driving my 5.1.4 setup reliably without glitches. It does atmos and 4k. Enough for me. Apart from the built-in heos streaming in the newer ones, I really can't think of a reason to change.

For the 3.23 L asking price of the cinema 50. I would rather buy the 8802A HT processor in the classifieds. And add external amplification. Now that would be a proper upgrade sound wise to what I already have.

The 6015 should suffice and may do at least 80% of what the Marantz Cinema 50 does. The extra money on the Cinema 50 may not justify the improvements. New models will come and go. Better to use the current model on hand as long as you can.
Even I am using an older Marantz 7011and don't find the need to upgrade atleast for a few years for my needs.

The Cinema 50 is 3.23L - check out the Pioneer Elite LX-505. I’m using it an I’m very happy. It’s got 6 x 8K inputs, 120W x 9 channels
Are you sure the Pioneer is 120W x 9 channels? I thought it 120W x 2 and more like 25-30Ws x 9, perhaps even lesser than that
and 11 channel processing, Dirac. The Dirac license fee is included in the price and for the Cinema 50 is an additional $350. LX-505 has an MRP of around 1.7, I paid 1.6 so it’s much more VFM compared to the Cinema 50 also.
The LX-505 is available for 1399 USD which comes to approx 1.15L so it cost approx 33% more in India it seems. :(

The 6015 should suffice and may do at least 80% of what the Marantz Cinema 50 does. The extra money on the Cinema 50 may not justify the improvements. New models will come and go. Better to use the current model on hand as long as you can.
Even I am using an older Marantz 7011and don't find the need to upgrade atleast for a few years for my needs.
Exactly... AVR's are like Victoria's secrets bikini models. They launch a new one every year with a few tweaks. But the things that really matter are still the same underneath 😝

Are you sure the Pioneer is 120W x 9 channels? I thought it 120W x 2 and more like 25-30Ws x 9, perhaps even lesser than that

The LX-505 is available for 1399 USD which comes to approx 1.15L so it cost approx 33% more in India it seems. :(
Yes sorry I mean it’s 120W x 2 channels - but that is the same as the 6015 or Cinema 50 spec of 110W x 2.

The LX-505 retails for $1699 ( https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-LX505-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B095PWX9G3 ) which is about 1.4L. I was ok paying the 20k premium or about 15% for local warranty etc.

Does anyone know the street price of Cinema 50? US price is $2500 so the 3.2L is almost 60% higher than US price

Yes sorry I mean it’s 120W x 2 channels - but that is the same as the 6015 or Cinema 50 spec of 110W x 2.

The LX-505 retails for $1699 ( https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-LX505-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B095PWX9G3 ) which is about 1.4L. I was ok paying the 20k premium or about 15% for local warranty etc.

Does anyone know the street price of Cinema 50? US price is $2500 so the 3.2L is almost 60% higher than US price
Iam not into HT anymore. But I find that prices in the west are heavily discounted the moment a new model is launched. So if I were in the market for one, I would patiently bide my time.

If the features & performance of the SR6015 suffices your requirements for now and a couple of years. makes sense to get it now at a good price and use the same.

You should check other options available in the market and also audition where possible. Which Denon model are you looking at?
Thanks, denon 3800 and 4800, worth considering vs Marantz?

Street price for Cinema 50

Thanks, denon 3800 and 4800, worth considering vs Marantz?

Denon is 70% movies & 30% music and its opp in Marantz. If you are already used to Marantz performance, you may not like the performance of Denon although manufactured by same company. Yamaha & Pioneer are 50:50 when it comes to movies & music. (Neutral). This is based on my experience using various brands and models over 2 decades. Audition if possible with your favourite movie clip or music using the same set of speakers with the dealer and you will know the difference.

How do AVR s compare to stereo amplifier for sound with the same speakers?

It depends on which AVR models. There are numerous threads over this forum where we have many debates on AVR vs AMP. My personal take is that if you have a high end powerful AVR, it will definitely give you a good stereo performance like you would experience using an integrated amplifier. Usually its the high end models that are built well with high grade components etc.

Denon is 70% movies & 30% music and its opp in Marantz. If you are already used to Marantz performance, you may not like the performance of Denon although manufactured by same company. Yamaha & Pioneer are 50:50 when it comes to movies & music. (Neutral). This is based on my experience using various brands and models over 2 decades. Audition if possible with your favourite movie clip or music using the same set of speakers with the dealer and you will know the difference.

It depends on which AVR models. There are numerous threads over this forum where we have many debates on AVR vs AMP. My personal take is that if you have a high end powerful AVR, it will definitely give you a good stereo performance like you would experience using an integrated amplifier. Usually its the high end models that are built well with high grade components etc.
I have a Harman Kardon AVR 240 - 65 Watts in stereo mode RMS. But it's well built, with high grade components and I do think it compares well with other amps. In fact I think that my Jamo S 60's are not matching it well.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/harman-kardon-avr-is-good-for-music.2009826/

"
I already started a similar thread in another forum, but I want to seek your advice since it's all about receivers here. So I have this pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7 (4-ohm, 150W, 86dB/W/m), and I want to upgrade to a better, more powerful amp. I tried some of the most well-known integrateds (mostly at home): Musical Fidelity M3i, Exposure 2010S2, NAD 375BEE, Rotel 1520, Naim Nait 5si...
Then one guy lent me an AVR 745 (a receiver from Harman Kardon) and although I was very skeptical about it, I took a chance. So I have been listening to this for a couple of days, with various genres of music and at various volume. The result is weird: this 5.1 receiver is really serious in playing music, and the sound characteristics are quite similar to the NAD. In fact I think it is only inferior to the Naim amp.
So the question now is: Am I missing something? Is this receiver supposed to do that well for traditional stereo music? I am not so sure even after listening to it, because 5.1 receivers are mostly for movies, games... and I just want a good stereo system. So should I keep this one?"

I have a Marantz 6013 since 2019 and have found no need to upgrade it. For the extra money on the Cinema series, you could use that to invest on a power amp. For me, the difference between onboard power amplification versus a dedicated power amp was simply substantial!

The only upgrade I would need, is to upgrade my room. It simply doesn’t have enough breathing space and needs room treatment.

Some of us spend fortunes on the equipment without spending on what really matters: the room. No more substantial equipment upgrades for me until I ‘upgrade’ my room.

Last edited:
I have a Marantz 6013 since 2019 and have found no need to upgrade it. For the extra money on the Cinema series, you could use that to invest on a power amp. For me, the difference between onboard power amplification versus a dedicated power amp was simply substantial!

The only upgrade I would need, is to upgrade my room. It simply doesn’t have enough breathing space and needs room treatment.

Some of us spend fortunes on the equipment without spending on what really matters: the room. No more substantial equipment upgrades for me until I ‘upgrade’ my room.
Could you please elaborate on dedicated power amp vs onboard power amp?

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 240 - 65 Watts in stereo mode RMS. But it's well built, with high grade components and I do think it compares well with other amps. In fact I think that my Jamo S 60's are not matching it well.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/harman-kardon-avr-is-good-for-music.2009826/

"
I already started a similar thread in another forum, but I want to seek your advice since it's all about receivers here. So I have this pair of Dynaudio DM 2/7 (4-ohm, 150W, 86dB/W/m), and I want to upgrade to a better, more powerful amp. I tried some of the most well-known integrateds (mostly at home): Musical Fidelity M3i, Exposure 2010S2, NAD 375BEE, Rotel 1520, Naim Nait 5si...
Then one guy lent me an AVR 745 (a receiver from Harman Kardon) and although I was very skeptical about it, I took a chance. So I have been listening to this for a couple of days, with various genres of music and at various volume. The result is weird: this 5.1 receiver is really serious in playing music, and the sound characteristics are quite similar to the NAD. In fact I think it is only inferior to the Naim amp.
So the question now is: Am I missing something? Is this receiver supposed to do that well for traditional stereo music? I am not so sure even after listening to it, because 5.1 receivers are mostly for movies, games... and I just want a good stereo system. So should I keep this one?"
I think it really depends on what you are looking for. If musical enjoyment is the goal, as it actually should be, then there is absolutely no reason why a AVR paired with reasonably easy to drive speakers can't acheive that. Especially considering the benefits of a well integrated subwoofer in the mix. In fact my most enjoyable system is the one I got way back in 2012. A pair of qacoustics concept 40's + some small 8 inch qacoustics sub driven by a modest marantz SR6011. It still sounds beautiful and very enjoyable with whatever I play.

However if you want to go beyond enjoyability and into what we call a Hifi sound, with the usual nuances like sound stage, imaging, seperatiion, depth,.... blah blah blah... Then the budget level AVR's I've played with couldn't cut it. Maybe the higher end ones or the pre+pro's can do it. But at that price level we can get 2 channel gear that can nail those things absolutely. So horses for courses I guess.

Could you please elaborate on dedicated power amp vs onboard power amp?
The onboard power amp is the power amplifier built in on the AVR. These usually claim exaggerated power ratings, usually with 2 channels driven. I rarely see an honest spec that says the power rated with all channels driven. The manufacturers specify the other way round - at one channel driven! I have not yet used an AVR to drive only one channel- maybe there’s a use case, I do not know. See how power ratings vary as shown in the pic. Which means, the AVR (if it doesn’t have enough power) is going to “struggle” to keep up with demanding action sequences that employ most, if not all channels, especially when you are going loud. Using a dedicated power amp, say, for L and R, gives better performance since the dedicated power amp (such as a Crown amp, not a skimpy one) would have a enough headroom (reserve power) when needed, before distortion sets in. But, if your room is small, a mid-level AVR should be sufficient enough. As I had noted earlier, bigger AV electronics need bigger rooms to shine. You could go ahead and get one, but you would be underutilising them.

Attachments

• 01F23B0C-F296-4A95-A280-1E42CF9866A7.jpeg
    01F23B0C-F296-4A95-A280-1E42CF9866A7.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 17
The onboard power amp is the power amplifier built in on the AVR. These usually claim exaggerated power ratings, usually with 2 channels driven. I rarely see an honest spec that says the power rated with all channels driven. The manufacturers specify the other way round - at one channel driven! I have not yet used an AVR to drive only one channel- maybe there’s a use case, I do not know. See how power ratings vary as shown in the pic. Which means, the AVR (if it doesn’t have enough power) is going to “struggle” to keep up with demanding action sequences that employ most, if not all channels, especially when you are going loud. Using a dedicated power amp, say, for L and R, gives better performance since the dedicated power amp (such as a Crown amp, not a skimpy one) would have a enough headroom (reserve power) when needed, before distortion sets in. But, if your room is small, a mid-level AVR should be sufficient enough. As I had noted earlier, bigger AV electronics need bigger rooms to shine. You could go ahead and get one, but you would be underutilising them.
thanks for your explanation!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back