Hello All : Searching for a suitable LCD.

multifaced

Dear All,

i reached here from Google, while searching for a suitable LCD..

i started my search sometimes back and converged on Samsung LA40B530. the dealer offered me a price of 58000. that was within my budget. later i went to E Zone.. they too offered me the same price, also the sales person asked me why should i need a series 5 full HD tv because HD ready is good enough within 40" size. and he said the price of LA40450 is around 46k. there is some difference in price !!. and he put this two tvs side by side. with same settings he gave one BD signal to them . honestly, i could not find much difference other than a slightly better blacks in B530. then i got confused and came back without making a purchase.

i also saw LG-42LH70YR (scarlet 2) . liked it but dont want to go beyond 40" because my viewing distance is 7-8 feet.

Even Panasonic LCDs too looks good. but not sure how their service is.. the sales guy said the pano panels are made in Japan. all others are from Korea

So brothers.. please advise me.. Pour your wisdom down on me like raindrops.

Hi welcome to HiFiVision.

Many say FHD (1080p) makes sense only from 40-42" and upwards. But if you sit closer while watching FHD content, say at 4-6', it will make a difference.
So why settle for a poorer resolution TV now when you can have more options later?

Moreover, 32" may ideal for you. 40" will be little too big at 7-8' and the majority of SD content may not look great at that distance, it may hit your eyes.

If you are going to watch majority of HD content then it's OK to go for 40" FHD.

I'm using a Panasonic 32" LCD and its good for all kinds of content. It's great in terms of PQ and also in terms of VFM.

You can also check out the Panasonic PV8, it's a Plamsa TV at 42" and costing around 43-45K.

Sony is good, but a bit expensive compared to others.

8 feet is perfect for a 42" HD ready display and more than enough for a 42" Full HD display, as per THX's formulae.

Do consider 42" plasmas (HD Ready) like the Samsung A410 (which I own), the A450 (or the new line of B430 and B450). You can also consider this forum's favourite budget plasma, the Panasonic PV8.

Pictures between Plasma and LCD are a matter of preference and lighting conditions (brightly lit room = LCD, controllable lighting = Plasma). I prefer the plasma pictures, but Plasma has two drawbacks, one is image retention and the other is the power consumption, neither of which have really bothered me very much (I've had a plasma for about 10 months), but it's worth keeping in mind.

If your heart is set on LCDs of course there are tons of good options including the ones that you have checked out and the models from Sony. If you personally don't believe that the difference between Full HD and HD Ready is enough to pay the extra amount, then don't! However, do try this comparison in different places with different sources, don't reach a decision with one test.

Dear All,

i reached here from Google, while searching for a suitable LCD..

i started my search sometimes back and converged on Samsung LA40B530. the dealer offered me a price of 58000. that was within my budget. later i went to E Zone.. they too offered me the same price, also the sales person asked me why should i need a series 5 full HD tv because HD ready is good enough within 40" size. and he said the price of LA40450 is around 46k. there is some difference in price !!. and he put this two tvs side by side. with same settings he gave one BD signal to them . honestly, i could not find much difference other than a slightly better blacks in B530. then i got confused and came back without making a purchase.

i also saw LG-42LH70YR (scarlet 2) . liked it but dont want to go beyond 40" because my viewing distance is 7-8 feet.

Even Panasonic LCDs too looks good. but not sure how their service is.. the sales guy said the pano panels are made in Japan. all others are from Korea

So brothers.. please advise me.. Pour your wisdom down on me like raindrops.

Thanks a lot mates..

from your comments and other posts i think i need to make a comparison based on SD content or any dish TV content under similar settings (i know that even the settings are same different TVs behaves differently) . also i will visit a Panasonic brand shop to see their options, because only few models of Panos are on display in normal shops. i will let you know my findings and action soon :)

have a nice day ahead...

well for ur viewing distance u can go for a HD ready tv,SD content will look better on a HD ready tv.
btw panasonic doesn't sell lcds tvs above 37inch.

adder, they do make 42' LCDs. please see this link..

VIERA Plasma TV & LCD TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India

intresting but not easy to find in showrooms.but they don't make the panels,since the IPS alpha doesn't manufacture 42inch size lcds. IPS Alpha Technology, Ltd. : Products ,they mostly are using LG panels in 42inch.also in the link shown u can see the native contrast of the lcds which is quite low compared to the sony and samsung and even sharp models.

hi, The debate between Plasma and LCD is never ending. I too did a lot of study and finally zeroed on Panasonic 42 inch Plasma PV 8D. However, my wife insisted that I should go along with the trend of most of the people buying LCD TVs. During that time, new Samsung 5 series Tv LA40 B530 was releasd into the market. I liked the TV and bought it. But the horrible experience I had to go through after I bought Samsung TV has totally shattered my confidence in all the LCD TVs, leave alone Samsung. My brand new TV has a severe backlight flickering problem and the picture keeps going off every 10-15 secs! Though the company has promised to replace the defective set, it is yet to materialise ( already one week passed since i have submitted the invoice to the company). Please read my blog on the subject in this forum to fully understand the problem.

Hence I suggest, avoid going for LCD Tvs. if u still decide on LCD TVs, pls pls dont go for Samsung... Ithas such a poor production quality control!!!:mad:

Last edited:
hi, The debate between Plasma and LCD is never ending. I too did a lot of study and finally zeroed on Panasonic 42 inch Plasma PV 8D. However, my wife insisted that I should go along with the trend of most of the people buying LCD TVs. During that time, new Samsung 5 series Tv LA40 B530 was releasd into the market. I liked the TV and bought it. But the horrible experience I had to go through after I bought Samsung TV has totally shattered my confidence in all the LCD TVs, leave alone Samsung. My brand new TV has a severe backlight flickering problem and the picture keeps going off every 10-15 secs! Though the company has promised to replace the defective set, it is yet to materialise ( already one week passed since i have submitted the invoice to the company). Please read my blog on the subject in this forum to fully understand the problem.

Hence I suggest, avoid going for LCD Tvs. if u still decide on LCD TVs, pls pls dont go for Samsung... Ithas such a poor production quality control!!!:mad:

I am sorry to hear about this. But such rare instances can happen to anyone and any product.

It is not correct to suggest NO for LCD or Samsung, because of your one-off bad experience.

one of my friends too was searching for a TV. and he took a sudden decision and finalised on Sony 37S400A LCD for 59k. the PQ is fine with HD signals but with SD, its horrible. not sure the set is properly tuned or not. its nothing comparable with Panny or even LG plasmas.

when i started my thread my mind was full of LCD. but after lot of studies and auditions now i m with Plasma. (thx to you guys) still i didnt get enough time to finalise on anything because of some unexpected travels. anyway this weekend i am going to Panasonic brand shop and LG gallery to see the latest models. :)

i will tell you my experience then.

I am sorry to hear about this. But such rare instances can happen to anyone and any product.

It is not correct to suggest NO for LCD or Samsung, because of your one-off bad experience.

+1 to that, i can dig up many such incidents from sony to pioneer kuros,so that doesn't mean they are all bad.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back