Hello all you streamers out there....

MadMaxStreams2023

Hi! Just saw this forum as I was searching for info on my new Raspberry Pi streamer with Inno-maker dac. I love the convenience...but have a few issues...
If I put the volume slider on the Volumino software I'm using to full right, I get a distortion that kinda sounds like analog overmodulation along with bit dropping kinda thing. Like when you listen to 4 bit audio...that ringing-ish noise. When I take the volume slider down to 3/4, the distortion seems to go away. I wonder if I loose anything in the digital domain using the internal volume slider or do I have other problems. Is it ok to drive at 3/4 and not 100%? Is it like when you tell the doctor that it hurts when I touch here and he says "Don't touch that then". Oh well...any help or other software options will help. Also, feel free to move this post to a more appropriate thread....
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi! Just saw this forum as I was searching for info on my new Raspberry Pi streamer with Inno-maker dac. I love the convenience...but have a few issues...
If I put the volume slider on the Volumino software I'm using to full right, I get a distortion that kinda sounds like analog overmodulation along with bit dropping kinda thing. Like when you listen to 4 bit audio...that ringing-ish noise. When I take the volume slider down to 3/4, the distortion seems to go away. I wonder if I loose anything in the digital domain using the internal volume slider or do I have other problems. Is it ok to drive at 3/4 and not 100%? Is it like when you tell the doctor that it hurts when I touch here and he says "Don't touch that then". Oh well...any help or other software options will help. Also, feel free to move this post to a more appropriate thread....
Thanks,
Jeff
Sometimes the software volume control actually takes it beyond 100%. What you can do is the following.

1. Launch the terminal.
2. In the terminal window run the following command
alsamixer

It will show you your DAC connected to the RPI (see screenshot below). You can select the up/down arrow key to select 100% volume. Do you get distorted sound when you set the volume using alsamixer?

1700277164763.png

Thanks,
Jeff
There is an option to disable the internal volume control in Volumio. Try that and see if the output distorts.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

If the post / response to you helps in any way, use the 'Like' button which is located at the right hand bottom of the post. This helps to build up positive reputation for the FM (Fellow Member).

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back