Hello from a speaker builder

siddharthdas

Hello all, I am Sid from Bangalore. I have spent the last 10 years building speakers. I started with Linkwitz's and JohnK's design and then began to modify them with different crossovers, drivers, baffle shapes. My last project was a modified an LX 521.4. Now I am about to modify it further to get ultra low distortion plus a different aesthetic. As it turns out, I keep a large inventory of parts, and so can also either help others build linkwitz's or my designs.

Hello all, I am Sid from Bangalore. I have spent the last 10 years building speakers. I started with Linkwitz's and JohnK's design and then began to modify them with different crossovers, drivers, baffle shapes. My last project was a modified an LX 521.4. Now I am about to modify it further to get ultra low distortion plus a different aesthetic. As it turns out, I keep a large inventory of parts, and so can also either help others build linkwitz's or my designs.
Hi,

Do share some pics of your projects and your workspace.

DIY section will be our home here!
hope to see each project as a new thread :).

Welcome siddharthdas , do you have a blog or website ? would love to see what local DIY scene is like. Who knows one day I would want to get some Horns built :)

Welcome to the forum. Just curious, what took you so long to be part of HFV :). Lot of people would benefit from your knowledge here

Welcome @siddharthdas We definitely could get your know-how on speaker design and fabrication. We would like to see your recent projects.

Welcome @siddharthdas We definitely could get your know-how on speaker design and fabrication. We would like to see your recent projects.
Hello @kratu, will share my LX 521.4 when I get a moment. Here are some form a modified Orion 3.3 I had built ages ago. For a DIY project in India I was rather pleased with the finish I was able to achieve.

Attachments

• HFV2.jpg
    HFV2.jpg
    919.4 KB · Views: 63
  • HFV1.jpg
    HFV1.jpg
    1,016.3 KB · Views: 64
Welcome siddharthdas , do you have a blog or website ? would love to see what local DIY scene is like. Who knows one day I would want to get some Horns built :)
Alas not @powerslave but I will probably build one with my next megaproject coming up soon - 5 way open baffle project with 18 drivers and FIR filtering. Again - time! hopefully I'll manage to tale out enough for the build.

Hello @kratu, will share my LX 521.4 when I get a moment. Here are some form a modified Orion 3.3 I had built ages ago. For a DIY project in India I was rather pleased with the finish I was able to achieve.
That speaker build looks professional. It looks better than a DIY project. It would be nice to see some wood finishes as well.

That speaker build looks professional. It looks better than a DIY project. It would be nice to see some wood finishes as well.
Well credit for fabrication goes to an amazing NID trained product designer, Saleem bhatri, who has a machine shop and who custom fabricated stuff like the copper screws you see on the baffle + Fali Davar, painter par excellence. Both from mumbai, circa 2010. We achieved world class finish, perhaps better than 50lac to 1 Cr speakers from revel/focal and the lot. Sound most certainly a league higher. Although that’s easy to accomplish once one understands sounds - uniform dispersion. Low distortion. Enough headroom. Linear phase crossovers. Good crossover deign. Oddly it takes quite the engineer to pull all of that off - not to mention rather infuriatingly expensive to do so.

Well credit for fabrication goes to an amazing NID trained product designer, Saleem bhatri, who has a machine shop and who custom fabricated stuff like the copper screws you see on the baffle + Fali Davar, painter par excellence. Both from mumbai, circa 2010. We achieved world class finish, perhaps better than 50lac to 1 Cr speakers from revel/focal and the lot. Sound most certainly a league higher. Although that’s easy to accomplish once one understands sounds - uniform dispersion. Low distortion. Enough headroom. Linear phase crossovers. Good crossover deign. Oddly it takes quite the engineer to pull all of that off - not to mention rather infuriatingly expensive to do so.
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.. Wishing that we all will learn from each other. :)
I agree with all what you said regarding the design process.. just not with the infuriatingly expensive part. One can do good crossover design with FIR filtering and linear phase crossovers with free resources like equalizer apo running on a PC and a decent sound card.. or so has been my experience.. Have a look at this project of mine if you are interested:

This is one of my DSP active speaker configurations:
img_20221118_225719-jpg.1110876

Crossover
1670664043183-png.1118335

System measured polar responses out to 180 degrees (Nearfield+ gated farfield)
1670664059671-png.1118336

1670664114456-png.1118337

Measured impulse and step responses in room
wavecor_mid_3way_linear_phase_impulse-jpg.1118466

I implement crossover + driver passband linearization EQ combined and baked into 64K tap FIR filters and use the convolver in EQ apo to get the above results.. :)

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.. Wishing that we all will learn from each other. :)
I agree with all what you said regarding the design process.. just not with the infuriatingly expensive part. One can do good crossover design with FIR filtering and linear phase crossovers with free resources like equalizer apo running on a PC and a decent sound card.. or so has been my experience.. Have a look at this project of mine if you are interested:

This is one of my DSP active speaker configurations:
img_20221118_225719-jpg.1110876

Crossover
1670664043183-png.1118335

System measured polar responses out to 180 degrees (Nearfield+ gated farfield)
1670664059671-png.1118336

1670664114456-png.1118337

Measured impulse and step responses in room
wavecor_mid_3way_linear_phase_impulse-jpg.1118466

I implement crossover + driver passband linearization EQ combined and baked into 64K tap FIR filters and use the convolver in EQ apo to get the above results.. :)
@Vineethkumar01 - lovely! a definitive case here for getting together to experience our creations. Is there a group of people who do this in the city?

@Vineethkumar01 - lovely! a definitive case here for getting together to experience our creations. Is there a group of people who do this in the city?
Thank you.
I have heard that many experienced DIYers and FMs on this forum with some very nice systems are there in Bangalore.
However, I only know very few people here..
Most of the help I get in building these systems, I get from some experienced people on diyaudio forum.

Regards
Vineeth

Alas not @powerslave but I will probably build one with my next megaproject coming up soon - 5 way open baffle project with 18 drivers and FIR filtering. Again - time! hopefully I'll manage to tale out enough for the build.
Interesting. I used to own the Audio Artistry Beethoven speakers designed by Linkwitz. Was easily among the finest speakers I have owned.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back