Hello from Chennai, I guess high quality audio comes at premium prices

I contacted the Beyer india subsidiary in bangalore before buying my DT880 Premium. He said in any defects (unlikely as these are still hand assembled in Germany), he will replace it with a new one - no questions asked.The person I spoke to seemed rather straightforward and no nonsense.
Hope I find that person and pray beyer wont cause issuse even though i handle it carefully

I'd suggest you do some research before you get into.DT770 is on the brighter end of the spectrum, DT880 is linear and DT990 is bass heavy. If you can afford the DT880, I'd suggest that over the rest.Also Beyers go best with an OTL Tube amp. I personally use a DarkVoice 336SE and it sounds wonderful.
I did some research comparing dt770 pro with audio technica ath-m50x, Sennheiser HD598,Beats and i have to say im much satisfied with dt770. Also you say it's on the brighter side, Can i do EQ adjustments in the amp or softwares ? The e10 has bass boost analog with it. dt880 is on my budget (25k max) but i have to compromise on the DAC/Amp like buying Fiio e10 for time sake. dt990 is out of my budget and i don't like bass heavy HP's. Also the DarkVoice 336E is a good tube amp but also out of my budget too (Rs.43,500)

The fiios and similar amps are really designed for low impedance headphones and may not match well with a 250ohm or 600ohm Beyer. You need something that has the capability of large voltage swings without distortion.
How about i get a 80 ohm dt770 pro ? Will impedance make a difference in dt770 pro like 250 ohms ? I saw that Fiio e10 can power upto 150 ohms and i have short-listed that with the 80 ohm dt770 pro

Edit: The best headphone overall to get from the Beyer Range is the T90. It does 95% of what the T1 does at less than half the cost.
Out-of-budget , T90 is 56k and T1 is 123k :sad:

Need your opinion
DA

How about i get a 80 ohm dt770 pro ? Will impedance make a difference in dt770 pro like 250 ohms ? I saw that Fiio e10 can power upto 150 ohms and i have short-listed that with the 80 ohm dt770 pro

Need your opinion
DA

Eq adjustments can always be done to tailor the sound to your liking but every eq loses something from the original signal. Personally I hate eq.

The lower impedance Beyers don't sound as good as the higher impedance ones. The biggest difference is in the Bass region where the higher impedance cans are much more tight.

Hello, thank you for the reply. well, what would you do if you want to change the ear - cups or having to repair the headphone. I'm from chennai and i saw a beyerdynamic dt 770 dealer in bangalore only. How long is the warranty ? and if any case of problem, can i post send the headphones to the dealer in bangalore and will they repair and post-send to me back ? (I dunno how much to trust them).

I'd suggest you do some research before you get into. DT770 is on the brighter end of the spectrum, DT880 is linear and DT990 is bass heavy. If you can afford the DT880, I'd suggest that over the rest. Also Beyers go best with an OTL Tube amp. I personally use a DarkVoice 336SE and it sounds wonderful.

+ 1 to what Reignofchaos wrote above.
also read this.. DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm vs DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm
will help youo decide on which one..the 250Ohms seems to be a safe option

you can buy replacement pads off ebay as well

BTW check the prices on Amazon.in and see if you can go for it. its less than 19K there.

Patience always pays here in this hobby ;) . maybeyou could buy an entry level portable DAC/Amp for now and wait for a good deal on a used one which might pop up in the future. it is usually worth the wait

Last edited:
DA,
Assemble a rig that is matched properly. No point buying good HPs that are hard to drive and getting an incapable amp.
It is like putting racing tires on a Maruti 800.
FiiO specs output power at 32 ohms. Could not find any other impedance rating. Get HP within amp range or get an amp matching HP.

Cheers,
Raghu

DA ill second what Raghu said above .

Regarding the DT880 , they are usually pretty easy to drive and i have used my 990 250 ohm directly from my iphone and it sounds very good though plays lower in volume. so my gut feel is any amp should drive the 25 and 250 Ohms. the 600 though would need a good amp

These days I have plugged it directly into my Headphone out from my iMac and its really good ( i dont listen much to audio on it these days)

just google out amp requirements and you should get an idea about it

Eq adjustments can always be done to tailor the sound to your liking but every eq loses something from the original signal. Personally I hate eq.The lower impedance Beyers don't sound as good as the higher impedance ones. The biggest difference is in the Bass region where the higher impedance cans are much more tight.

Yea i too want to hear as much as natural sound from the music produced as it is. No extra effects. However, I read that Fiio recommend e10 to be used for max headphone impedance of 150 ohms. On the contrary, i read members are fine with dt770 pro 250 ohms and e10 DAC or even with dt880

Need your opinion
DA

Patience always pays here in this hobby . maybeyou could buy an entry level portable DAC/Amp for now and wait for a good deal on a used one which might pop up in the future. it is usually worth the wait

Yea, thts what i've been thinking members. Due to budget, For time sake ill use a e10 DAC and later upgrade to darkvoice tube amps in the future. Now, im almost convinced that dt 770 pro 250 can be used with e10. The reason I'm so keen on e10 is that i saw an offer for 3200 used one online.

Assemble a rig that is matched properly. No point buying good HPs that are hard to drive and getting an incapable amp.FiiO specs output power at 32 ohms. Could not find any other impedance rating. Get HP within amp range or get an amp matching HP.

Raghu sir, what do u recommend. 32 ohms version or 80 or 250 for the dt 770. I have almost zeroed on beyerdynamic due to closed type which i am looking for & the natural sound quality. m50x improves vocal, hd598 is open type and beats is just bassy in my opinion. How about the dt 880, a member mentioned it's neutral (that is what I'm looking for). Need ur opinion

Regarding the DT880 , they are usually pretty easy to drive and i have used my 990 250 ohm directly from my iphone and it sounds very good though plays lower in volume. so my gut feel is any amp should drive the 25 and 250 Ohms. the 600 though would need a good amp

You are convincing me more and more my friend ;D

Need your opinion
DA

Raghu sir, what do u recommend. 32 ohms version or 80 or 250 for the dt 770. I have almost zeroed on beyerdynamic due to closed type which i am looking for & the natural sound quality. m50x improves vocal, hd598 is open type and beats is just bassy in my opinion. How about the dt 880, a member mentioned it's neutral (that is what I'm looking for). Need ur opinion
DA

I have not heard any of the cans shortlisted by you or other FMs. Until you hear them yourself you cannot decide whether they are "neutral" or "warm" or "bright".
I have only one pair of headphones (Panasonic RP-HTF890); well it officially belongs to my boy. No idea how it compares to other models.
As far as headphone amps, there are 2 at home worth mentioning:
  • Marantz PM7001 IA's headphone out - not a good pairing at all; good detail and all but lean bass, and listening fatigue sets in within 10 mins
  • Schiit Fulla - On this combo, I can listen to music to extended periods of time (about 1 hour is my limit; after which I compulsorily take a break)
    Crisp bass, good detail and not fatiguing
You need to look for what the amp can drive at different HP impedance. Many manufacturers publish this data; Schiit definitely does.
As I have said earlier, I am not a headphone fan; I do have the luxury of a 2-ch setup and empty home when I listen to music :D

BTW, FiiO E10K does not seem to have pre-out, it says line out; typically volume control does not work on line out.
So for future integration you will be relying on the IA or active speakers volume pot.

My advice, do some more research (online and definitely physical) before putting your money down.

Cheers,
Raghu

Schiit Fulla - On this combo, I can listen to music to extended periods of time (about 1 hour is my limit; after which I compulsorily take a break)
Crisp bass, good detail and not fatiguing

Fulla Schiit is indeed full-of-good. The dac amp costs me 8k online. Read their website and it says supports upto 300 ohms so hows the d770 250 ohm paired with fulla schiit ? they both come exactly 20k so im budget satisfied :D .Saw the reviews and pretty liked it. I need your opinion on this

Regards
DA

If you can source it from US. Cheaper by 30%
I have paired it with 50 ohm cans

AS you said, i'll buy the DAC 1st and then take it with my laptop music to audition as much as headphones as possible before going for the one which suits me. I read different sound signatures and wow i guess i need some hard work to find that one headphone for me

Is this a good DAC+Amp to begin with ? It has max 300 impedance , enough to power any 250 ohm headphone. Can this power mid-range to high-end headphones like Hifiman He400s, Sennheiser HD650 and Hd800 ? I'm think about whether this is future proof or now

Regards
DA

AS you said, i'll buy the DAC 1st and then take it with my laptop music to audition as much as headphones as possible before going for the one which suits me. I read different sound signatures and wow i guess i need some hard work to find that one headphone for me

Is this a good DAC+Amp to begin with ? It has max 300 impedance , enough to power any 250 ohm headphone. Can this power mid-range to high-end headphones like Hifiman He400s, Sennheiser HD650 and Hd800 ? I'm think about whether this is future proof or now

Regards
DA

Shoot them an email. Schiit tech support is very fast in responding
-Raghu

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back