Hello from Chennai, I guess high quality audio comes at premium prices

This is a beginner question so dont get me wrong.Just for time being, I gonna use only my jogging headphone Sennheiser px-80 headphone as output and use an int. amp with inbuilt DAC and then think of a bookshelf speaker.Is there an Integrated amp that has inbuilt DAC with headphone output 3.5mm jack so i can connect my headphone with it ?

If it's only for headphones, then you can consider a DAC with headphone amp. It is more common, and also available at a budget from the likes of SMSL. I have 2 SMSL DACs that are priced around $60 and $150, and both of them also have an inbuilt headphone amplifier. The SQ of the DACs is also very good.

The Chromecast Audio will also function as a DAC and amplifier, and also as a source/transport and give you a ton of free content from multiple sources around the world.

HiFiBerry also has multiple budget solutions for DAC and amplifier.

I researched some online, can you tell me please name some of IAC's with DAC & Headphone output ?

Regards
DA

Hmmm ...
Digital music equipment curve is advancing faster than analog components.
So look for bargains in analog IAs. People are always upgrading their entry level setups and you will find some good equipment on the forum or outside.
There is a Yamaha A-S500 for sale from Chennai itself; definitely worth a look and listen.
Get a simple IA, maybe add a simple DAC and the buy a set of speakers.
You can lug your amp for speaker shopping.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hmmm ...
Digital music equipment curve is advancing faster than analog components.
So look for bargains in analog IAs. People are always upgrading their entry level setups and you will find some good equipment on the forum or outside.
There is a Yamaha A-S500 for sale from Chennai itself; definitely worth a look and listen.
Get a simple IA, maybe add a simple DAC and the buy a set of speakers.
You can lug your amp for speaker shopping.

Cheers,
Raghu

I'm just confused and lost. All i have is my laptop with foobar2000 installed.Done a lot of optimization for audio. I listen with my sennheiser PX80 portable speakers with onboard DAC realtek HD audio driver. I'm now listening to 24-bit/96,000Hz studio quality FLAC audio files with average files sizes of 100+ MB.

I know that my current system doesnt support that file quality. Mr.Raghu or any other members please tell me the best and economical way to get that true experience of that 24/96 FLAC files. I just feel like i wanna go Head-Fi first and then move on to Hi-Fi as money flows in. Suggest me ideas

Regards
DA

FLAC/ALAC/MP3/etc are archival formats not recording formats.
If you rip CDs that are distributed in 16/44.1 into 24/96 FLAC you are simply bloating the file with useless information.
Yes there are hi res download sites that one can pay a premium and buy music.
If you are the kind to do torrent D/Ls how are you sure it is studio quality? I have heard 24/96 recorded from vinyl, allegedly, that sound like crap; see what I am getting at?
If you are paying premium for hi res music, stop for a while and divert the funds towards music equipment and then restart purchases towards your hi res collection.

For recording purpose you need 24 bits and higher sampling rates. The sound engineer has some leeway to fiddle around during the mixing stage.
For playback, 16/44.1 is good enough. FLAC/ALAC/other lossless formats are required to preserve the information in case you want to cut a CD again.
MP3s will have already lost the info during trans-coding/ripping.

FB2K on laptop can decode 16/44.1 or 24/96 or 24/192 and eventually push it to the onboard DAC (realtek as you claim) or via USB to an outboard DAC/Amp.
If going head-fi route, look at USB DACs or DAC/Amps from SMSL/FiiO/Schiit/AudioQuest, to name a few.
If you can plan your purchase, look for a pre-out from outboard DAC for future integration into an active desktop system or conventional 2-ch system.
Fix your budget first. This will dictate your wiggle room.

Cheers,
Raghu

FLAC/ALAC/MP3/etc are archival formats not recording formats.
If you rip CDs that are distributed in 16/44.1 into 24/96 FLAC you are simply bloating the file with useless information.
Yes there are hi res download sites that one can pay a premium and buy music.
If you are the kind to do torrent D/Ls how are you sure it is studio quality? I have heard 24/96 recorded from vinyl, allegedly, that sound like crap; see what I am getting at?
If you are paying premium for hi res music, stop for a while and divert the funds towards music equipment and then restart purchases towards your hi res collection.

For recording purpose you need 24 bits and higher sampling rates. The sound engineer has some leeway to fiddle around during the mixing stage.
For playback, 16/44.1 is good enough. FLAC/ALAC/other lossless formats are required to preserve the information in case you want to cut a CD again.
MP3s will have already lost the info during trans-coding/ripping.

FB2K on laptop can decode 16/44.1 or 24/96 or 24/192 and eventually push it to the onboard DAC (realtek as you claim) or via USB to an outboard DAC/Amp.If going head-fi route, look at USB DACs or DAC/Amps from SMSL/FiiO/Schiit/AudioQuest, to name a few.
If you can plan your purchase, look for a pre-out from outboard DAC for future integration into an active desktop system or conventional 2-ch system.
Fix your budget first. This will dictate your wiggle room.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello, thanks for the info. I download most of the music from torrents as im saving money for the components. I dunno whether they are really that quality but FB2K lists them as 24/96 1000kbps flac files each 80mb average. Also I'm not into recording sir, just wanna listen to some good music.

Can you please tell me some good beginner audiophile headphone that can gimme good sound isolation. I saw audio technia ath m50x and i liked it to paired up with fiio e10k headphone amp with DAC. Like you said this is for some time and after that ill use my e10k dac and connect it an int. amp. with bookshelf speaker into a hi fi system in future. Can you suggest me better headphone + amp/dac combo that make full use of 24/96 flac music? My budget is 20k but extendable

Regards
DA

Oh for 20K you can put together a very decent head-fi setup. I am not a headphones guy, so will let other knowledgeable FMs chime in.
What do you mean "I saw audio technia ath m50x and i liked it to paired up with fiio e10k"?
Listening is the key here; blind buy based on some review doesn't always work out to your liking.
Most headphone DAC/Amps can do 24/96 including FiiO E10K. Make sure the DAC/Amp can drive the "cans" you choose.
ATH-M50X at nominal 38 ohm seems to be well within FiiO's output power drive range.

Disclaimer: I have not not heard this combo or either one of them separately.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you plan to go head-fi, I would recommend against ATH-M50X, I have ATH-M50 and sound signature is similar for both the headphones. No doubt its a good headphone but it is heavy on bass side and price is inflated in india, there are better headphones available. Senn HD598 is good entry level headphone with amazing soundstage and clarity, and it keeps coming on sale on amazon.in for 7-8k, keep a lookout for that.
Other way would be to go for an IEM if you are comfortable with those. For starters Hifiman RE-400 is one option which is regarded neutral and highly revealing so it will also give you an idea about recording. It normally sells for 5k.

Disclaimer: I own above 3 and I prefer HD598 but looking for an upgrade now. :)

If you plan to go head-fi, I would recommend against ATH-M50X, I have ATH-M50 and sound signature is similar for both the headphones. No doubt its a good headphone but it is heavy on bass side and price is inflated in india, there are better headphones available. Senn HD598 is good entry level headphone with amazing soundstage and clarity, and it keeps coming on sale on amazon.in for 7-8k, keep a lookout for that.
Other way would be to go for an IEM if you are comfortable with those. For starters Hifiman RE-400 is one option which is regarded neutral and highly revealing so it will also give you an idea about recording. It normally sells for 5k.

Disclaimer: I own above 3 and I prefer HD598 but looking for an upgrade now. :)

Great infos! I'm not a fan of extra effects like bass boost and I'm the kind of person who hates very low freq sound (sub-woofers) ,it's just my taste of music and I'm more into natural re-production, clarity and detail in the music so please tell me if HD598 is worth it. Anyone ?

The best option is to buy an o2 odac combo with sennheiser 5xx series dynamic headphones.

Norge is good but instead of the Boston try the elac b5.later you can try DIY amps for less than 10000 bucks with much better sound quality.

Used kits like the yamaha s100 on the forum is also good.

The best option is to buy an o2 odac combo with sennheiser 5xx series dynamic headphones.
Norge is good but instead of the Boston try the elac b5.later you can try DIY amps for less than 10000 bucks with much better sound quality.
Used kits like the yamaha s100 on the forum is also good.

Hello , I'm have decided to go Head-Fi setup only due to my budget constraints . I have a budgt of 25-30k for my Head-Fi setup so please suggest a good audiophile headphone & DAC/Headphone Amp. combo within this price range

I've searched o2 udac but it's too costly with import duty. Suggest something cheaper please. How is Fiio e10 DAC+Amp ? Also how is beyerdynamic dt 770 headphones ? I need your help in this please

Regards
DA

Within a few posts your budget went from 20K to 30K. Quicksand dude! Fix the budget.
Cheers,
Raghu

Within a few posts your budget went from 20K to 30K. Quicksand dude! Fix the budget.
Cheers,
Raghu

What can i do, i dont wanna compromise on my 1st head-fi. So till now what i have come to conclusion is
1) Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 80 ohms - Rs.13,500 /-
2) Fiio e10k DAM+Headphone amp - Rs.10,500 /-

Altogether coming to 24k close .I want noise isolation, natural sound and good soundstage when compared to the hd558 , i liked this better as per the research i did online. Whats ur opinion on these.

Regards
DA

Also look at ATH-M50. Similar price range to Senn 558.

I researched about these products too but personally think beyerdynamic dt 770 pro is better because i want closed headphones for noise isolation but the 10 meter cable length is a downside. Also im thinking about how the aftersales support will be with beyerdynamic dt 770 pro. Need ur opinion

Regards
DA

I researched about these products too but personally think beyerdynamic dt 770 pro is better because i want closed headphones for noise isolation but the 10 meter cable length is a downside. Also im thinking about how the aftersales support will be with beyerdynamic dt 770 pro. Need ur opinion

Regards

DA

I have had the DT990 for more than 8years now and it's good . Dt770 is very good and if possible do try the DT880 as well based on you budget . I am not sure if you need after sales as long as you get warranty to take care of any defect .
The long cable is really not an issue . If you are brave enough you can do a minor surgery and upgrade the cables in a future date as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the DT990 for more than 8years now and it's good . Dt770 is very good and if possible do try the DT880 as well based on you budget . I am not sure if you need after sales as long as you get warranty to take care of any defect .
The long cable is really not an issue . If you are brave enough you can do a minor surgery and upgrade the cables in a future date as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, thank you for the reply. well, what would you do if you want to change the ear - cups or having to repair the headphone. I'm from chennai and i saw a beyerdynamic dt 770 dealer in bangalore only. How long is the warranty ? and if any case of problem, can i post send the headphones to the dealer in bangalore and will they repair and post-send to me back ? (I dunno how much to trust them).

Hello, thank you for the reply. well, what would you do if you want to change the ear - cups or having to repair the headphone. I'm from chennai and i saw a beyerdynamic dt 770 dealer in bangalore only. How long is the warranty ? and if any case of problem, can i post send the headphones to the dealer in bangalore and will they repair and post-send to me back ? (I dunno how much to trust them).

I contacted the Beyer india subsidiary in bangalore before buying my DT880 Premium. He said in any defects (unlikely as these are still hand assembled in Germany), he will replace it with a new one - no questions asked. The person I spoke to seemed rather straightforward and no nonsense.

I'd suggest you do some research before you get into. DT770 is on the brighter end of the spectrum, DT880 is linear and DT990 is bass heavy. If you can afford the DT880, I'd suggest that over the rest. Also Beyers go best with an OTL Tube amp. I personally use a DarkVoice 336SE and it sounds wonderful.

The fiios and similar amps are really designed for low impedance headphones and may not match well with a 250ohm or 600ohm beyer. You need something that has the capability of large voltage swings without distortion.

Edit: The best headphone overall to get from the Beyer Range is the T90. It does 95% of what the T1 does at less than half the cost.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back