hello - I'm Rav (based in Melb, Australia)

gx502

Hi,

my name is Rav based in Melbourne, came across your forum whilst doing some hifi web browsing.

I like rock/pop music, and my system is a modded SL1210, with AVi amplifier, and Dynaudio speakers. My digital sources are a heavily modified Sony CDP, and also a MacBook->TerralinkX2-> TriVista21 DAC.

Sitting on the bench I have a Linn LP12-Akito, a Rega RB-1000 arm, SME-IV arm, Ortofon Kontra-B. I was planning a project around my old Linn, but somehow lost interest/direction. Also my Technics is making me very happy, and its currently running a DL301-II, I will probably run the Ortofon cart on my SL1210, when I get bored with the DL301.

Here is a pic of my Technics, I am very proud of it :)

5311604717_9dc1185f19_z.jpg

I posted in one of the turntable threads, where someone said that the SL1200 was a DJ deck, this was not its original purpose, and I felt compelled to clarify this ;)

Best wishes, and I will keep reading this forum for what I may learn from it.
Rav

Hey Rav,

Could you post a few details on the mods you've made to your Technics? And is that an Ikea Lack it's sitting on? What are the differences you hear between the stock TT and the modern one? Would love to know.

Also, are you the same Rav who posts on ecoustics?

Hey Rav,

Could you post a few details on the mods you've made to your Technics? And is that an Ikea Lack it's sitting on? What are the differences you hear between the stock TT and the modern one? Would love to know.

Also, are you the same Rav who posts on ecoustics?

Hi,

yes I did post on ecoustics a long long time ago, when i first thought about doing something with my old LP12, but that was a few years ago (2007-ish?). Since then I kind of lost faith/direction, and have accumulated some exotic spare parts during the process (RB1000 and SME-IV !!!)

On the SL1200, the mods I have done are:

-Isonoe footers (really worthwhile, cleans up sound immensly).
-Mike New bearing (expensive, but oh so worth it. Totally transforms the sound, adds a lot of life, provides massive improvements in separation of individual strands in the music, and totally detaches the music from the noise floor. Also massive improvements in detail retrieval and transparency, whilst remaining musically in-tact)
-Jelco SA-750D arm + Soundhifi arm-board (I think the SA-750D adds more weight and scale to the sound, and despite being a heavish arm, seems to be quite forgiving and works well with many cartridges, has oil damping)
-Timestep PSU (don't really know exactly what this does in isolation, since it was implemented simultaneous to the arm fitment. I think it further cleans up the sound if I had to take a guess)
-KAB damper (I was using the KABUSA damper prior to fitment of the Jelco. Strongly recommend this part if using the stock arm, its a massive upgrade.)

At the end of the mods process, I am very happy with the result. I think I have a deck that is competitive with off the shelf stuff turntables, and the process was fun too. Also, I really like the presentation that I get with the finished deck, its a very weighty sound, has great perceived accuracy and neutrality, and an excellent sense of drive. But overall in terms of where you can go with a SL1210, I think my deck is mid-level, but I am happy here. (Now looking to buy some more LPs)

Yep that is an IKEA Lack table, seems to work well enough. I don't have funds to spend at the moment on dedicated supports. But the LACK seems fine, since due to its light weight I don't think it stores much energy. Its the best I can do at the moment.

kind regards
Rav

Welcome aboard!

The dj thing must come from the confusion of the technics sl1200 mkII which was favoured by many turntablists!

Back