Hello to ALL

abhraneel

Hello ALL..
I've joined this forum as i've been following the reviews/issues in this site from quite sometime. Infact the reviews posted here have helped me to buy a second hand HMV turtable yesterday at just Rs. 1250 from Seethaphone, Bangalore..The problem is i am not aware of the model no. and secondly it has been not functional after i tried it to connect to my onkyo amplifier (though i could faintly hear the songs i was playing without the amplifier)..i'd request all gurus to help me out..cheers!!!!

hi abhraneel welcome to hifi vision . the question which you have asked is very vague . try posting some pictures of your purchase may be then we could help you out .

If you are able to hear the sound faintly, it might mean the TT is alright. Is the sound coming from the speakers or from the cartridge? If sound is from speakers, it might mean that you are using it without a phonostage. If not it might mean your connection to the amp is incorrect. Just a guess based on your post. More info will help us troubleshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi yezdian, santosh...i am attaching 2 pics of the TT i purchased...i guess this might help you to come up with the model no...secondly, the sound which i was able to hear, was from the cartridge, and i did connect the correct wires of the TT to the amp as i could hear the music coming out of the amplifier speakers...however, when i switched off the power(i didnt move the cartirdge arm for stopping the TT and rather switched off the power), the TT stopped running...thinking of going to seethaphone again for repairs...any solutions/advices?????...cheers..

Last edited:
Hello ALL..
I've joined this forum as i've been following the reviews/issues in this site from quite sometime. Infact the reviews posted here have helped me to buy a second hand HMV turtable yesterday at just Rs. 1250 from Seethaphone, Bangalore..The problem is i am not aware of the model no. and secondly it has been not functional after i tried it to connect to my onkyo amplifier (though i could faintly hear the songs i was playing without the amplifier)..i'd request all gurus to help me out..cheers!!!!

Hello there, welcome to the world of vinyl. Your HMV turntable can help you make a decent start down the vinyl road.

I assume your turntable is a stand alone turntable and does not have an inbuilt amplifier. Also, since it is HMV, assume that your turntable is fitted with a ceramic cartridge with a flip stylus. Another assumption is that when you place your pick-up on the record, you hear can hear the music faintly, when you keep your ear near the stylus of the record player.

If you hear the music when you keep your ear near the stylus when the record is playing, it would mean that your record is being played, but your leads to the amp or the cartridge itself is not working. If you're hearing the faint sound in through your amp and speakers, check what input you've connected your turntable to. If you have the old ceramic cartridge, it should play on any amp with an auxillary input. If your turntable is fitted with a magnetic cartridge, you'd need a phono preamp between your turntable and your amp.

As mentioned by the other forum members, the information posted is too vague for me to provide a direct solution. If you are not that familiar with the jargon associated with turntables, a picture of your turntable and a picture of the cartridge with stylus would be of great help.

Thanks.

Hi yezdian, santosh...i am attaching 2 pics of the TT i purchased...i guess this might help you to come up with the model no...secondly, the sound which i was able to hear, was from the cartridge, and i did connect the correct wires of the TT to the amp as i could hear the music coming out of the amplifier speakers...however, when i switched off the power(i didnt move the cartirdge arm for stopping the TT and rather switched off the power), the TT stopped running...thinking of going to seethaphone again for repairs...any solutions/advices?????...cheers..

WoW, its nice to see this TT after so many years. I remember this one as a kid. I used to go with my parents to a record store and they had this player.

Does it have a stereo cartridge or mono cartridge. The cartridge was ceramic with a sapphire flip stylus (could play microgroove records on one end and 78 rpm records with the other). If your amp has a regular input (auxillary, cd, tape, etc) you should be able to just plug it in and listen (not with great quality though). On doing so, if you dont hear any sound, please check if the cartridge has been changed (wont work if its a magnetic cartridge and would require a phono preamp). If the cartridge is still the original, you may need to check the wiring from the cartridge, right through the arm and to your cables down to the amp. If this is fine and you still dont hear sound, your cartridge may require a change....all this assuming the stylus is in ok condition.

All the very best!!

I think that model has an in built amp. Please look for speaker out or volume control on the turntable. The cartridge may be ceramic and will not give you sufficient sound if connected to phono of your amp
kuruvilajacob

Hello ALL..

You will need a pre amp before sending it to your receiver because turntable produces very very low current !!

Just came back from getting the TT repaired...it was just a small mechanical snag and the tehnician rectified it within minutes...what amazed me is that the technician, Raju, a man in his early forties could tell the problem before he actually opened the TT...he worked with Philips for 16 years and knows in and out about TTs...now playing songs from SHAAN and 9 more discs to go...it's gonna be a good ggod night tonight..:)

Thanks to all of u...

Great to know this abraneel, enjoy your vinyl baptism. The HMV will give you a great start. You're also on the right track, its good to start with something simple and upgrade later. With Vinyl, its very important to get very familiar with the format, how to use it, how to store it, etc before you dive into more complex stuff. All the very best.

Hi Guys,

If this thread is still open & read, the player in question is HMV fiesta-popular. Its a ceramic cartridge idler driven mono player with a small inbuilt amplifier with 33,45 & 78 rpm speeds. I believe speakers came as a set with this model. It has output only for speakers & no line out. Has volume & tone controls (with on/off switch) as audio adjustments. it is a simple set up & easily serviceable, in case needed. Good luck with your player & enjoy the analog format.
Cheers!!

HI saket,
This model also plays 16 RPM discs but haven't seen any available here in Bangalore. No speakers came alongwith it and it doesn't have any volume/tone controls. I have taken the phono output and have connected it to my onkyo HTS. It plays good music, have tried with a few brand new LPs also. It requires frequent oiling of the mechanical parts otherwise the speed of the motor diminishes.
Thanks for your comments.
cheers..

HI saket,
This model also plays 16 RPM discs but haven't seen any available here in Bangalore. No speakers came alongwith it and it doesn't have any volume/tone controls. I have taken the phono output and have connected it to my onkyo HTS. It plays good music, have tried with a few brand new LPs also. It requires frequent oiling of the mechanical parts otherwise the speed of the motor diminishes.
Thanks for your comments.
cheers..

Hello,
No Volume control? Thats' a shocker because your player looks like one of the later versions of HMV Fiesta and should date back to late 70s or even early 80s. Anyway, you've found a great way of connecting your system. Just curious about the phono output. Doesn't the phono out gives you less of bass & excess treble?
About 16 RPM discs, yes they are a rarity. I believe it was mostly used for speech audio , mainly as speech-lessons for those suffering with vision problems. SO you might not find any musical 16RPM disc.
Hey, by the which new LPs you are playing these days?
Keep spinning...
cheers!

Hey, can anyone suggest me a good performance speaker set up under 15k for my philips 832 stereo turntable?

hi saket...due apologies for the delayed response...i got myself a new denon dp 29f two days back...have been playing couple of new LPs which i got from flipkart (rockstar, bob marley - legend), rest are all old numbers by RD burman, SD burman, Manna Dey....
cheers..
abhraneel..

Hello,
No Volume control? Thats' a shocker because your player looks like one of the later versions of HMV Fiesta and should date back to late 70s or even early 80s. Anyway, you've found a great way of connecting your system. Just curious about the phono output. Doesn't the phono out gives you less of bass & excess treble?
About 16 RPM discs, yes they are a rarity. I believe it was mostly used for speech audio , mainly as speech-lessons for those suffering with vision problems. SO you might not find any musical 16RPM disc.
Hey, by the which new LPs you are playing these days?
Keep spinning...
cheers!

Hello Abhraneel,

First of all, congrats for the new turntable. So, tell us about the player...i mean the sound quality, build quality and do you use your onkyo HTS for it? How much difference in sound from your old player. I am asking this because your old player had a ceramic cartridge and denon has a magnetic one. SO was interested in knowing exactly how much difference one can make out. Please share your experience with us.
By the way, I got 1942 A love story, DDLJ, DTPH, KKHH, Kal ho na ho, sufiaana, KKKG from flipkart. PLaying on my philips 633 & 832. Looking to buy a used entry level or mid level technics...lets see. about your old vinyls, i am a fan of oldies and have a fairly good collection of old vinyls. RD, Kishore & Rafi my favs.
Have great listening with your denon. COngrats again.

Thanks & regards,
Saket.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back