HELP - 64 inch D8000 Plasma or . . .

illusion_99

Guys,

I am after a plasma for my living room. Preferred size would be 55 inches & above ONLY. Viewing distance shall be over 15 feet for sure. I have narrowed down on the following model

SAMSUNG PS64D8000FR (64 inch)

Best price that i have got is. Rs. 2,00,000/- with warranty.

Kindly suggest:

a) If the choice is suitable in that range
b) If it is a good deal
c) Any other alternatives/equivalent

As far as HTS is concerned i am looking at "onkyo hts 3400" considering a 25k (slightly flexible) budget ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers !!

I am told it will take another 8 weeks for the model to be available.. Only after that we should look at best prices and bundle offers.. Unless models are available we really can't talk of best prices... Samsung should be more willing to sell to us instead of us chasing them :)

Last edited:
Here are a few options. I'm more of a Panasonic fan after my friends buying them so here.
1. Check out the new Panasonic displays of 58" and 65" coz I here they are better than Samsung. The panasonic personnel for the western region are Vijay Rangarajan on 9987787513 or Varun Agarwal on 7738355732. I understand the 65" is atrociously priced so you may take the fact into consideration. I've given the option of dipslays since you are going in for a HTS anyways.
2. If the big screen is more for movies and if you can take the trouble of installing a projector go for the Panasonic PT-AE4000 coz its an amazing projector and a good motorized screen. In that price range its mind blowing for movies. Projector=Rs.1,30,000.00 (grey market) and Elite Motorized screen Rs.30,000.00 from Cinema Focus Chennai, Razak 09841035821. And then get a normal 40" Plasma TV for your DTH. (Rs.40,000)
Regards

1. Check out the new Panasonic displays of 58" and 65" coz I here they are better than Samsung.

Which model are you talking about ? how is it better than Samsung plasma? be specific, cause tomorrow i will post a reply stating that LG plasma is better than
KURO.:)

As for the OP, 64 inch D8000 is a brilliant plasma even at 2lakhs considering the fact a 64" vt30 will at least cost 50-75k more and also after Chad's latest direct comparison between the two this is what he said.

VT30
Slightly better blacks at 96HZ(not sure it will be stable), minimal judder, no dirty screen effect.

More reflective than vt25 and D8000, blacks on objects don't stand out.

D8000

better whites, more details, better colors, less reflective, better contrast, less graining image.

Slightly inferior blacks,Dirty screen effect only while running test pattern.

Last edited:
Which model are you talking about ? how is it better than Samsung plasma? be specific, cause tomorrow i will post a reply stating that LG plasma is better than

The Panasonic TH-58PF20U. Based on reviews from friends regarding PQ, and black levels compared to what is similar size samsung. I wanted to purchase a large format tv earlier and from the reviews on the net Panasonic scored over samsung. You're welcome to your opinions.:)

I am told it will take another 8 weeks for the model to be available.. Only after that we should look at best prices and bundle offers.. Unless models are available we really can't talk of best prices... Samsung should be more willing to sell to us instead of us chasing them :)

well i do have time before i shift to my new place ... its just that my architect wanted to be sure about the size and everything .... so 8 weeks would be wait worthy i guess for the D 8000 ... keep me updated if at all you do come across anything

Here are a few options. I'm more of a Panasonic fan after my friends buying them so here.
1. Check out the new Panasonic displays of 58" and 65" coz I here they are better than Samsung. The panasonic personnel for the western region are Vijay Rangarajan on 9987787513 or Varun Agarwal on 7738355732. I understand the 65" is atrociously priced so you may take the fact into consideration. I've given the option of dipslays since you are going in for a HTS anyways.
2. If the big screen is more for movies and if you can take the trouble of installing a projector go for the Panasonic PT-AE4000 coz its an amazing projector and a good motorized screen. In that price range its mind blowing for movies. Projector=Rs.1,30,000.00 (grey market) and Elite Motorized screen Rs.30,000.00 from Cinema Focus Chennai, Razak 09841035821. And then get a normal 40" Plasma TV for your DTH. (Rs.40,000)
Regards

Thanks for the reply and those numbers :)... I know Panasonic is renowned in plasmas but samsung for sure is catching up ... the projector is not for me as it would be mostly DTH and not much movie viewing

As for the OP, 64 inch D8000 is a brilliant plasma even at 2lakhs considering the fact a 64" vt30 will at least cost 50-75k more and also after Chad's latest direct comparison between the two this is what he said.

VT30
Slightly better blacks at 96HZ(not sure it will be stable), minimal judder, no dirty screen effect.

More reflective than vt25 and D8000, blacks on objects don't stand out.

D8000

better whites, more details, better colors, less reflective, better contrast, less graining image.

Slightly inferior blacks,Dirty screen effect only while running test pattern.

thanks for the comparison brother :) let me wait for the availability now and a sweet deal ... how about onkyo hts 3400 ? will it be a justified purchase with such an expensive plasma ?

I see many people in AVS forums complaining about the peeling of the outside layer in samsung D8000 plasma .Might want to keep that in mind if you purchase it.

I see many people in AVS forums complaining about the peeling of the outside layer in samsung D8000 plasma .Might want to keep that in mind if you purchase it.

Not read much of that. However, the brightness "pops" issues seems to all over that forum. It has become as hot a topic as Panasonic black level rise. Not necessarily that Indian models are affected by it but worth checking during demos.

No tv(panny,sammy) or tv tech(crt,plasma,lcd,lcd-led) r perfect...the billion dollar question is how good are u able to live with the issues & be still happy with it w/o returning it to co.....a proper detailed demo is thus a must for us as picky tv choosers!

Awww .. thats not good news :mad:

You should probably read it yourself.

No TV today is perfect and even the best of the flat-panels will have small issues.VT30 is reported to have some brightness and gamma fluctuation issues.

what matters is buying a tv which suits your preference, for me my Samsung plasma beats the shite out the more expensive Sony LCD we have at home so that gold for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJPI8-yPUyk

The Panasonic TH-58PF20U. Based on reviews from friends regarding PQ, and black levels compared to what is similar size samsung. I wanted to purchase a large format tv earlier and from the reviews on the net Panasonic scored over samsung. You're welcome to your opinions.:)

Panasonic TH-58PF20U is not a TV but a professional monitor, Initial Black level of top end Panasonic plasma will always have a minor advantage over Samsung plasma, but it is picture processing where Samsung wins, if you did read most of the reviews by professional calibrators you should be knowing this.After a year of usage both Samsung and Panasonic plasma will have same black levels.

Also i have both Panasonic and Samsung 50" plasma and i know how they look.

Last edited:
Best price that i have got is. Rs. 2,00,000/- with warranty.....As far as HTS is concerned i am looking at "onkyo hts 3400" considering a 25k (slightly flexible) budget ? Any thoughts ?

It is my personal opinion that there is a huge mismatch between the quality of value of the TV vs the quality of value of the HTS.

Cheers

+1, if you can afford a 2 lakh flatpanel then you can certainly go for a better sound system, onkyo 3400 is a very basic HTIB , gofor AVR and seperate speakers

Not read much of that. However, the brightness "pops" issues seems to all over that forum. It has become as hot a topic as Panasonic black level rise. Not necessarily that Indian models are affected by it but worth checking during demos.

Thanks Shaiju for your valuable inputs ... I shall certainly keep that in mind during the demo

No tv(panny,sammy) or tv tech(crt,plasma,lcd,lcd-led) r perfect...the billion dollar question is how good are u able to live with the issues & be still happy with it w/o returning it to co.....a proper detailed demo is thus a must for us as picky tv choosers!

well said .. i have a Sony Bravia 42 inch LCD now and i would perhaps classify myself as a basic user so i guess the positives of the D 8000 would easily over-shadow the negatives in my case atleast.

You should probably read it yourself.

No TV today is perfect and even the best of the flat-panels will have small issues.VT30 is reported to have some brightness and gamma fluctuation issues.

what matters is buying a tv which suits your preference, for me my Samsung plasma beats the shite out the more expensive Sony LCD we have at home so that gold for me.

YouTube - ‪Panasonic VT30 neoPDP 2011 Fluctuating Gamma / Brightness bug‬‏

totally agree... in the end it all boils down to personal preferences :) thanks for your feedback

It is my personal opinion that there is a huge mismatch between the quality of value of the TV vs the quality of value of the HTS.

Cheers

your feedback well noted ... i might as well use my old SONY HTS for the time being then and start saving for a better HTS ... what combination would you recommend in that case

+1, if you can afford a 2 lakh flatpanel then you can certainly go for a better sound system, onkyo 3400 is a very basic HTIB , gofor AVR and seperate speakers

your feedback well noted ... actually plasma would be used by the entire family but no-one else in my family is ok with high volume sound (especially in the living room):eek:hyeah:... which is sad :mad: so basically its just for me and even i would seldom use it coz i am gonna have a dedicated one in my room wherein i can pump up the volumes too :)

so i might as well use my old SONY HTS for the time being then and start saving for a better HTS for my living room ... what combination would you recommend in that case ?

Guys,

I had postponed my purchase but now i am finally moving into our new home by mid-March.

Please suggest if i should go ahead with the 64D8000. I am certainly keen in 60 + size only.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers,

Praveen.

There were two others who had bought this very same model between Sep -Nov of 2011 -you can search for samsung 64 plasma 8000 or some such similar keywords.

One of them complained about the peeling issue within four weeks of purchase and he returned it I think.

My previous plasma was the Samsung PS51C6500 and I am also interested in this particular model/size and contacted Samsung and the specific Plasma Support technicians but they couldn't give me any proper or relevant information.

I mentioned that if at all there was this issue, then it had been solved by the introduction of small spacers between the panel and bezel for heat dissipation and that had solved the issue in later batches from the factory but they never acknowledged the issue - leave alone talk about the solution. I think not many people are buying this model at this price and therefore they are merely ignorant of the issues and not trying to fudge it or bamboozle us .

I have not had success in Chennai Samsung Stores- you can let me know if you had better success with the Mumbai Samsung Stores.

This seems to be the one issue if at all and everyone seems to just love this particular model.

Sajjad4Joy has the 64D8000 and it looks menacing.
He is happy. Infact very happy. Talk to him.

Last edited:
Why not 50 to 55 Inch plasma for daily viewing and projector + screen + nstallation in rest of the budget??

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back