Help and suggestions required for selecting a home theatre projector.

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

I am planning to buy a projector as part of my home theatre setup and since this would be my 1st projector I would really appreciate some help and suggestions on what projector to buy.

The room size is 12 X 12 feet. Thus-

Throw distance-
About 9-10 ft.

Viewing distance- About 9-10 ft.

Usage-

Movies- Blue ray rips and SD movies.

TV- Ocassional viewing, cricket matches etc.

Can also ocassionally connect to Laptop.

I saw Sony ew7 (720p) projector in action and the quality was awsome. Also I did see one panasonic projector which wasnt even 720p and was connected via VGA and still the quality was very good.

Thus I have decided to buy a 720p projector
and save on some bucks since even viewing distance is not much and content played might not be 1080p.

So 1st I have to decide which projector I should buy- LCD or DLP?

I have read the forums and it seems there is no clear winner as both technologies have their + and - points.

I would most likely be sourcing the projector from UK so which HD ready projector would you suggest for my usage?

Please let me know if you need any more specific details.

Regards

Projector World

Many congratulations for getting into the projector world, the ultimate way to watch a movie in your den.

I think the viewing distance is too small, after the seating arrangement it could drop further by about 2 feet, basing at 7-8 ft.

There are members who advocate the idea of watching from a closer distance that is a another story that maybe they do not have a larger length room. If one had a larger room length, it would be any one's guess what they may or would go for.

It is a great idea to watch the rips instead of buying or renting blue ray's, as these rips are the way to go forward especially when downloading is as good as legal keeping in mind that the Internet companies are advocating openly that their speed is such, 20 movies can be downloaded in a day, and not to forget the media player companies advocating their players, and the number of threads on forums for media players, so this is nothing short of a myth or wrong guidance that it is not wise to discuss on a forum about down loadings and related, for which even Ana Hazare will agree.

I think it is better to go for a projector which are the leaders in home cinema, like Optama, Panasonic, Epson, etc.

It is likely not to be a good idea to go for a 720P, especially when rips of 1080P are easily available for downloading and the best of armoury in terms of media player and related.

I think both projectors in LCD or DLP could be fine, it depends which one appeals to one's eye, etc. On the other hand that is a another story that there are some members who say that so and so technology is better keeping in mind that they have just installed or some may not even have a projector, so i wonder by which basis they are able to conclude which is the right technology. It seems they arrive at a conclude by mere reading on the forums, so this is sure not the way to show a green or red flag.

Further there have been a member who was at the verge of buying a projector but pulled back due to budget issues which was fair enough and now when someone wants to buy a projector in another thread he says projector is no good with unfounded and misguided reasons, and he goes further to say that a tv is the way to go forward for watching a movie.

The moral of story is simple, to read between the lines very carefully for what is being advised etc.

There is our forum member Mandeep, you can request him for a full fledged 3 demo's, to get more ideas to what one can expect in getting a video source via projector.

V.

Last edited:
The viewing distance might not decrease from 9-10 ft as the room is 12 X 12.

I am more inclined to buy a 720p because I saw it in working and was very much satisfied with the quality and it would cost cheaper thus making it easy to buy an extra lamp in future once I have used the old one.

I am going to South Africa on 2nd June. Would it be a good idea to get a projector from there? But for that I would have to make the choice fairly quickly on what model should I buy!

Can you suggest some good HD ready projectors to consider?

In 2005, I was also on the lookout for projectors. I had pretty much decided to abandon the idea of a large plasma in favour of the PJ. I spent two months on this page and its subpages!!!!!!

Top 10 Home Theater Projectors

I went into pros and cons of various projectors and technologies. I took all apparent advantages and disadvantages of projectors in general. Ultimately, I settled for Panasonic PT-AE700E, a 720p LCD PJ, that I purchased for 1044 in UK. I paid another 80 (under the x-ray scanner) to the customs who was demanding Rs. 20k as duty. To this day, I never regretted the purchase. If there is any, it is that that the PJ is not 1080p. But I know that I could not have afforded 1080p PJ in 2005 which were 3000+ at that time.

To answer your queries:

- DLP or LCD: Do not spend sleepless nights on the topic. Visit the above page and you will find recommendations.
- stick to 1080p PJ and you will cry once only
- check the price of the ceiling mount in UK and India and buy where cheaper
- since your room is 12x12, assuming the height to be 9', buy a 30' HDMI 1.3 cable also for ceiling mounted projector

I have used a Mitsubishi 1024 X 768 projector and connected a Blu Ray Player Y Cb Cr to the D sub connector of the projector (you need a special cable for it which you can make also) and watched 720p rips and the quality was quiet good......much better than DVDs.........:cool:)

I have read elsewhere also that HD66 is one of the top selling models. I would surely check that. By any chance can you suggest something in LCD technology also?

Regards

I am myself looking for a suitable 3LCD 720p projector as I am not keen on getting DLP. But unfortunately no suitable new ones seem to be available. 3LCD world has become 1080p now :)

As suggested by vinay contact mandeep on this forum, he has dedicated home theater room with optoma projector and is based in mohali/chandigarh, plus he will let u know various aspects of two technologies,

sukhjit

1080p

If you will see projector of 1080P, you will be more satisfied and moreover you need to respect the easy download opportunities available for prints in 1080P. :)

Further it is quite some time that terrorism has not taken place in Kashmir, which in turn will mean that is due very soon and maybe on larger footing. :sad:

So what i am saying is that it is quite some time 1080P was launched and the time is not far when 1440P and further will beam, in such a situation you will be in a odd world of 720P and moreover the newer version of downloads could be much better and the 720P projector may not be able to cope up with. :licklips:

About the extra lamp, cost is near about going to be the same for most of the standard projectors while that is a another story that by the time your lamp dies or gets into coma, it will be the far year 2016, and at that time to search for a 720P projector lamp will be like looking for a alien, if this is not enough there will be other issues too. :eek:

It seems South Africa, may not be a good place to source the projector due to higher cost and the availability factor for newer models. :sad:

V.

I am more inclined to buy a 720p because I saw it in working and was very much satisfied with the quality and it would cost cheaper thus making it easy to buy an extra lamp in future once I have used the old one.

I am going to South Africa on 2nd June. Would it be a good idea to get a projector from there? But for that I would have to make the choice fairly quickly on what model should I buy!

Last edited:
Its always a good idea to buy a compatible extra lamp within an year of buying a projector. This way you will not be "forced" to upgrade when first lamp dies out and compatible lamp is not available at that time.
I feel you should make your own decision on whether to go for 720p or 1080p based on your own judgment based on your own personal preference and available viewing environment.

The typical lamp life is 2000 hours. I purchased my Panny PJ in 2005. It has done 750 hours till now. Granted that I was nearly abroad for a year in between but your PJ use will not be more than 2 hours every day.

From my own experience, I will tell you that watching TV on PJ will be painfull or rather bothersome. PJ is best suited for movies. And how many movies are you going to watch everyday?

Good luck! I picked up an HD 20 recently. I think UPS is essential for long bulb life-the power down sequence involves a fan blowing air on the bulb, and if power fails then this doesnt happen.

congrats on the purchase. no TV can come close to the experience of projector. I have 50" plasma samsung 50C6500. I haven't got my projector setup as yet. I am missing it too much. 50" doesn't cut it when you can get 100" with the projector.
Yes there are some limitations like setup complexity (one time) and ambient light, but when you get to watch it in the right condition, the experience is great.
I got my wii setup last night and playing tennis on TV is just too underwhelming compared to the exp on projector.

congrats on the purchase. no TV can come close to the experience of projector. I have 50" plasma samsung 50C6500. I haven't got my projector setup as yet. I am missing it too much. 50" doesn't cut it when you can get 100" with the projector.
Yes there are some limitations like setup complexity (one time) and ambient light, but when you get to watch it in the right condition, the experience is great.
I got my wii setup last night and playing tennis on TV is just too underwhelming compared to the exp on projector.
Very true as anm said. That is why, I don't even have a flat panel TV as yet.

It was a wise step to abandon the idea of a large television, i too had ordered, but withdrew at the last minute, it was like surviving the crocodile attack.

I too had worked on trying to watch movies via projector, i had to wait for about 2 years, before i went ahead, my inclination had come way back in 90's, when i used to be invited to watch movies before the release, those were called trial rooms, and they were in basements.

It is indeed wise to import the ceiling mount with projector, as the mounts available in India are horrible looks wise which i have come across, that is a another story that one will use a fan hook and related as mounting, i shall say that this is pure humiliation to the projector's beauty.
;)

V.

In 2005, I was also on the lookout for projectors. I had pretty much decided to abandon the idea of a large plasma in favour of the PJ. I spent two months on this page and its subpages!!!!!!

To answer your queries:

- check the price of the ceiling mount in UK and India and buy where cheaper

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back