Help! brand new Marantz CD5004 - "No disc" & "Error" issues

hi murali, i have the same no disc problem that my friend raghu had and i've already opened the player and cleaned the lens with a fine and gentle natural hair art brush. now am keen to see that picture of the cable that you had posted and attempt your solution before i go to the technician. but the pic is not available here. do you think you can post it?

Mate, hope it is not the saym to ditto praablum! Back then I had to ship the player back to MZ who checked & replaced the CD mechanism! Since then it has been flawless. Been playing tons of CDs these few years and it has performed admirably. I am now concerned about the dust that manages to sneak in somehow! Somewhere on the Marantz US site I read that the newer models have an "upgraded & reliable CD mechanism"! Does that mean the older models were a bit flaky?! Generally, Marantz was always known for very reliable CD mechanisms! Good luck with the player. Hope it is a simple fix and you are back to spinning the shiny discs again! Cheers.

i saw the blue band connector that murali wrote about and unplugged it, cleaned it and put it back but no luck. then i took it to a local mechanic who did wonders with two of my remotes. he took a look and said that there seems to be some problem in an IC in the board that supplies the power to the laser. he based this diagnosis on the fact that there was no light coming on at all in the laser and the CD assembly itself is not moving. so now i have given it to lakozy who i heard are good and reasonably priced but got a word of caution from them that if the problem is in the board then MZ might be my only resort. i heard some not so good reviews about MZ and i'm hoping that it doesn't come to that.

Got to know that the entire lens assembly, with the motors and gears, is kaput. It has since been repaired and the cost of parts and repair is 4.5k. will. Will collect it on Monday.

Sent from my PLK-UL00 using Tapatalk

Got to know that the entire lens assembly, with the motors and gears, is kaput. It has since been repaired and the cost of parts and repair is 4.5k. will. Will collect it on Monday.

Howz the player, post repair? Looks like mine is headed for the service center (Archana Electronics). Skips all over the place, backwards mostly, to previous track or repeats sections of same track. Opened it up & cleaned the lens (again), data cable contact pins, disconnected & reconnected the data cable, cleaned the sled motor steel rails.

Internet says the rails & gears are to blame for the "tracking" issue. Lube the rails and grease the gears. For all I know, problem could be anywhere now.

Damn, just when you think these are flawless you are reminded of flaky!

Do you think Pranati or Avis Electronics could fix it cheaply?

Re: Help! brand new Marantz CD5004 - "No disc" & "Error" issues

Pranati will but he will give it to you in your next janma. Avis is better.

Bumping this thread.
I have a Marantz CD5005 player under warranty till 15th August which has started intermittently skipping tracks on few copied CDs. I contacted Sollfege in Kolkata and they are charging me 1500 for home visit.
Note :The skipping occurs mainly on copied Moser Baer discs and not on original CDs till now. I haven't had the opportunity to test with all kinds of discs thoroughly yet.
Please let me know if the home visit charge is okay or not.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bumping this thread.
I have a Marantz CD5005 player under warranty till 15th August which has started intermittently skipping tracks on few copied CDs. I contacted Sollfege in Kolkata and they are charging me 1500 for home visit.
Note :The skipping occurs mainly on copied Moser Baer discs and not on original CDs till now. I haven't had the opportunity to test with all kinds of discs thoroughly yet.

Since it is still under warranty and you are from Kolkata, you can take your CD player to them for check-up. Why do you want to pay them 1500 bucks?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Bumping this thread.

1500 is not ok. Wait. Not sure if this helps but worth a try - make a copy of the same original CD onto another brand of disc like a TDK or Sony Supremas or Fuji and check if that cd also skips! If no, then something's up with Moser Baer discs. I read somewhere that different reflectance characteristics across brands could also trip your player up! Check as much as you without having to open up the player.

In my case, most CD-Rs play ok. The originals skip :D

The 5xxx models seems to be carrying some genetic problems :)

Internet says the rails & gears are to blame for the "tracking" issue. Lube the rails and grease the gears. For all I know, problem could be anywhere now.

Update: applied light sewing machine oil on the spindle motor and the laser mech rails! I think Silicon grease might be better but not sure if i can source it in Hyderabad! Checked the flex cable again and it is fine.

Caution: handle this cable gently, very gently! It is ultra delicate and can be broken easily!

Player *seems* to be ok now. No skips in the last 2 days on the earlier problematic CD-R's. Some factory pressed CDs skip but i am ok with that.

i think this skipping issue mainly occurring due to our climate & dust. have faced similar issues with almost all models of marantz that i have had.

lubrication with synthetic grease is good option, but application in very small quantity and in right places

i think this skipping issue mainly occurring due to our climate & dust. have faced similar issues with almost all models of marantz that i have had.

lubrication with synthetic grease is good option, but application in very small quantity and in right places

Could be, but not all cases involve climate/dust. Even the best cd mechanism skips and the strongest laser dies. Factor in the micro tolerances built into CD technology (CD height, focus, tracking, reading), it becomes hard to diagnose the problem.

Agree with you on the synthetic grease option. Especially, one with Teflon.

1500 is not ok. Wait. Not sure if this helps but worth a try - make a copy of the same original CD onto another brand of disc like a TDK or Sony Supremas or Fuji and check if that cd also skips! If no, then something's up with Moser Baer discs. I read somewhere that different reflectance characteristics across brands could also trip your player up! Check as much as you without having to open up the player.

In my case, most CD-Rs play ok. The originals skip :D

The 5xxx models seems to be carrying some genetic problems :)
Any place /site you can suggest from where I can buy these branded blank CDs? I tried ordering Verbatim discs from Amazon US but their shipping charges are high. I stay in Kolkata.

Any place /site you can suggest from where I can buy these branded blank CDs? I tried ordering Verbatim discs from Amazon US but their shipping charges are high. I stay in Kolkata.

Any place where computers & accessories are sold in Kolkata. In Hyderabad, we have Chenoy Trade Center (CTC) which is, literally, an underground electronics market full of small shops making big money. I bought all my CD-Rs there some years ago. Shouldn't be too hard to source them. Just ask around.

Or if you have Moser Baer blanks lying around, just make a new copy on them & check.

Hi rraghuram,

I had the same problem in my PM 5003 player after some 3 months of use, which was purchased from Singapore.

I also tried cleaning the lens but the problem was not solved, then I opened the CDP and sensed that the the ribbon cable connecting the CDP lens to the PCB was not connected properly, it had a play in it. So I tightened the same and the problem was solved.

But some time later after a month, the same problem occurred again, and this time I again found that there was play in the cable , so I removed the cable completely and fixed it by interchanging the ends. Since then the player has not had any problems.

My advise is that if it is under warranty don't open the cover, or inform the dealer before you do it.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali.

(Note : See picture below the cable is the one having a blue band on it)

Hi everyone,

Same "No disc error" with a brand new CD6006 :sad:
I have bought it online on a UK website while I live in France. It's gonna cost me a lot just to return it.
If it's really just a cable that needs to be reconnected, I could open it myself and plug the cable correctly. What do you think?
I do not see the "picture below", has it been removed?

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone,

Same "No disc error" with a brand new CD6006 :sad:
I have bought it online on a UK website while I live in France. It's gonna cost me a lot just to return it.
If it's really just a cable that needs to be reconnected, I could open it myself and plug the cable correctly. What do you think?
I do not see the "picture below", has it been removed?

Thanks for your help!

Hey rom123s! I think you should open it up and check the cable carefully. You can try reversing it, but do so gently. It is a thin, fragile cable which connects the drive unit to the "central" motherboard. You can't miss it.

In my case, the laser mech had to be replaced. For "good measure" the tech replaced the cable too!

Thanks for your quick answer.
Just so I know, if I open it up carefully , is it possible to prove it has been opened?
Are we sure there is a line in the warranty conditions that says we lose it if opened?

Envoy de mon Nexus 6P en utilisant Tapatalk

I have given it a try but no success, everything seems in place. The ribbon cable with a blue band on it in the middle seems fine and does not move (see the picture).
I have contacted my reseller and we will see..
a4dd762dfdefa74445aad2d982b22924.jpg

Envoy de mon Nexus 6P en utilisant Tapatalk

I did not read any of the post but I got the same error 3 months back. It was tracted to a minor crack in the plastic strip cable connecting the lens to the mother board. My model is Marantz cd- 5400. I got it replaced myself after getting the same for Rs.20/-. It's not more than 30 minutes job and requires some patience.

If there are no cracks in your cable then try removing the cables and clean the connectors with some isopropyl alcohol to remove any carbon built-up over time. Also a drop or two of isopropyl alcohol on the main board connector will do no harm. Clean them with a clean tooth brush .

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, I finally sent it back to my reseller who will provide me a replacement. But I keep your advice in mind in case of a another no disc issue

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back