Help : Cleaning of LPs affected by termite mud

To add: while I recommend wet soaking to soften dirt, please do understand that if the label gets wet too and stays wet for longer periods, its colour can run, especially when rubbing it with cloth to dry the label. So avoid wetting the label as far as practicable. If it gets wet unintentionally, wipe it dry ASAP. There is very little chance of the label peeling off or the colour running if dried immediately, since the labels are hot stamped during pressing. Do not let it remain wet for long.

I have used RO filter water with Amway Car wash/ Jhonson Baby Shampoo to wash dirty records and that worked nicely.

Recently I took my records for a VPI clean from a Kolkata dealer. Amazing effect.

Heard that Luxor NANO works well on ACDs. How should that work on EP records. I have a huge collection of EP and SP records and I do not find it reasonable for a VPI clean.

I cleaned three records today with mixture of 1.Distilled Water 2.Surgical Spirit 3.Liquid Detergent( Ezee). Here are the results.

1.Before
U8Frmk.jpg

1.After
fib7KF.jpg

SPzYLS.jpg

2.Before
stUYDB.jpg

2.After
TWvisu.jpg

AIYrGH.jpg

3.Before
OpF35b.jpg

3.After
naHZTC.jpg

In original, it is looking more clean than in the images due to flash light.

Ran the cleaned records on my Phlilips player. Though the player is not in very good condition still it is running somehow. After few minutes of play, I saw very fine dirt have came out of the grooves, which I cleaned by a soft brush. I suppose the tracks are almost clean now. The problem is, I have a Samsung Home Theatre System and it has only AUX Input, there is no Phono Input. I suppose it requires a Pre-Amp or can I still run with the AUX Input of the Samsung Amp ? Please suggest.

My idea is, I will test with the existing set up and if the cleaned records will sound good, than will buy a better Turntable and upgrade my system later.

I have done and have been quite successful. I use RO ( Reverse Osmosis) water and mild liquid detergent . I make a lather, foam in a small 1 litre bucket of RO warm water and 2 table spoon of mild liquid detergent. Using a very very soft horse hair bristle brush, I apply the foam circle wise, while trying to avoid the printed label in the centre. I do it both sides of the vinyl and keep it wet for around 15 minutes.This will loosen the mud that has integrated in the groves. After this I re brush clock wise and anti-clockwise in a circular motion, till I feel that 80% result was visible. After this I dab with a very soft Turkish towel, both sides. I then use a hair drier and blow dry from a distance of 1.5 feet to 2 feet. The last process is surely needed. I have a spare stylus, so I run the record entirely once till I can see that the stylus has residues from the grooves. Another 10% success is seen. Frequent playing of records will eventually clean the muck from the grooves

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back