Help for music only computer audio set up.

asim86

Hello everyone,

I am into changing my PC into purely music only set up.
I will be connecting it with sony32ex650 as d monitor, have a pair of old sony bookshelf speakers (SS-H502G) and norge 1515 integrated amp.I have been reading the forum articles bt I am really confused of wht to get/update.My budget is limited say @ Rs 10k max. I have been reading about ASUS Xonar U3 USB Soundcard. Is it worth giving a shot?Or sound card ?
One more querry - how do i connect my cpu to the Sony ex650 ?
I know a lot of people in this forum uses PC/laptop as music source.So plz help guys.

For connecting pc to tv you can use vga if it is available on tv or hdmi. If your pc has no hdmi then buy an entry level graphics card. Instead of sound cards also have a look at different dacs.

DAC @ 10K (I've not heard any) but if you can stretch to 20K then MF VDAC II is a good starting point. Or else Asus Xonar Essence ST/STX sound cards offer excellent value (I have not heard the ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card).

For TV as per above recommendations.

Also, keep in mind the SQ will depend on what format you are playing. Don't expect too much from MP3s (GIGO). If your music collection is in FLAC or other lossless variants then its fine.

Finally, use Foobar with WASAPI Event and these Foobar2000 equalizer presets.

i downloaded foobar with WASAPI. WASAPI is downloaded as a .dll file.What do i do with it?
Yes foobar rocks!!!!! thnks.

i downloaded foobar with WASAPI. WASAPI is downloaded as a .dll file.What do i do with it?
Yes foobar rocks!!!!! thnks.

Put it in C:\Program Files\foobar2000\components and restart Foobar. Then File > Preference > Playback Output Device = WASAPI. Improves SQ.

if you are looking for accurate sound at low budget then M-Audio Audiophile 192 (though old, but sill available) is a good bet.

you can also keep a look on some site (as i am new, not sure if i can mention them here) which sell second hand studio gear and ship to india!

my strong recommendation is for pro audio cards for stereo listening.... Audiophile 2496 is a good bet.

how good is it compared to asus xonar stx? have u personally used the audiophile 2496? the most important aspect of my music listening is clarity in bass as well the highs which u know like gets distorted at high volume.Thanks man for ur info.

how good is it compared to asus xonar stx? have u personally used the audiophile 2496? the most important aspect of my music listening is clarity in bass as well the highs which u know like gets distorted at high volume.Thanks man for ur info.

Actually the majority of human hearing is in midrange. So technically the midrange is the most important. But bass and highs are important too. Ideally all 3 should be balanced. Just go for a xonar d2x or st / stx and don't look back. Resale will be easier on them as well and so will warranty is ever anything goes wrong.

Get an ODAC. It probably will beat all the above mentioned options. its available pre-assembled for around 150$ from jdslabs. If you can figure out your own cabinet, it will save you 50$.

isnt FIIO USB DAC not worth (for the price atleast), I got E10 for 3500 and I swear there was a clear sound imnprovement ...... I listen on Polk Tsi 300 via Onkyo AVR with my laptop/desktop as the music source connected to this USB DAC.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back