HELP.. free HDMI cable that came with Oppo was broken by LG service people

max123_ind

I was out @ work and those people came to wall mount the TV @ the wrong time (they wither come before or after the time that they give you), my sister was there .. they supposedly pulled the TV without disconnecting the and the HDMI cable broke.... :mad:

they said it's their fault and that they will replace it... it's a good 6 feet cable right? I'm thinking of asking for a Monster cable to replace it (or get me the same free one that comes with Oppo). Is Bandridge also good enough? How much worth will the free Oppo cable be?

MORAL OF STORY
-----------------
Do not allow ANY service/technical/moron personnel to touch your equipment when you are not @ home (instruct people at home to not allow them to even see anything when you are not in). Even when they are in and you are supervising, even if you feel the urge to visit the restroom **hold it** until they leave. It could well be a lifesaver to your equipment and/or components.

Last edited:
This can happen many times when half knowledged people handly the system.
If you get a decent Branded cable from LG,you can accept it as it can be better than oppo cable(which can be local?)

such service guys shld be banned :mad:..... bro please check if the ports are not disturbed......

Don't think that they will replace it with any good branded ones, anyway you can still demand for it and you might need to make a few phone calls to the higher ups in the service center to get it done.

Do not allow ANY service/technical/moron personnel to touch your equipment.

64714-slap.gif
- Yellow is you.

Always distrust sales and service guys. A dichotomy I can never understand is how people who never own/use such equipment can give such qualified advice.

The guy who mounted my TV was a rare exception. He really cared about what he was doing, took his time, checked and double checked everything with a spirit level, took care of the wall paint and TV finish. It was a pleasure.

The guys who brought my TV the first time couldn't install the stand because they didn't know which screw went where. I ended up doing it myself... now don't get me talking about the mess the Aquaguard service guy made...

The Oppo bundled HDMI cable is top notch quality. I seriously doubt a Monster HDMI cable would be as good. Monster HDMI cables are genrally quite crappy, atleast the lower end ones.

All HDMI cables (more or less) give the same output quality. I really don't think this is something to get upset about.

Monster cables which I had bought from America when I had bought my PS3 cost some obscene amount ("gold plated" :lol: ), and I can switch it with the one that came free with my DVD player, and I can't tell the difference.

All HDMI cables (more or less) give the same output quality. I really don't think this is something to get upset about.
Actually that is not quite true. It depends on the requirements of the installation, ie. how much data, at what bit rate and color depth over how much distance the cable is required to carry.
Monster cables which I had bought from America when I had bought my PS3 cost some obscene amount ("gold plated" :lol: ), and I can switch it with the one that came free with my DVD player, and I can't tell the difference.
Monster HDMI cables are infamous for being way over priced and a total rip-off. In any case if just connecting a small tv (32" - 50") with a HD set-top box (1080i 30fps) pretty much any cable will do and perform the same.

The picture quality doesnt change but if you are the connect and forget type it makes sense to invest in something good.

Yes the signal is digital and quality is good, but the quality of connectors wires, coating is bad, over time they deteriorate and things will start to break off or you may have loose connections..

Im not saying costly cables are good. Im saying that good quality and bad quality DO exist in hdmi cables and even a 200rs cable can be good quality. You have to look and depend on your judgement.

Try this... turn on 12 bit ( also mentioned as 36 bit on some equipment) on your player and try playing 1080p 60hz on it, nine out of 10 the cheap cables wont play it, a high speed hdmi cable(moderately expensive) will do the job though.

Well most of the users wont even bother to do this, and why go to such high lengths to spend on just a cable, just depends on each and every persons requirement, for the masses the regular ones do just fine. Personally i feel users spend too much time on buying expensive stuff, and equipment but spend very few on calibration. Where a good calibrated equipment would give better output than the ones using expensive cables and gadgetry without any calibration.

Well most of the users wont even bother to do this, and why go to such high lengths to spend on just a cable, just depends on each and every persons requirement, for the masses the regular ones do just fine. Personally i feel users spend too much time on buying expensive stuff, and equipment but spend very few on calibration. Where a good calibrated equipment would give better output than the ones using expensive cables and gadgetry without any calibration.
You are absolutely right about people not spending the time or money on calibration, but remember the chain is only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

I calibrated my display with spyder tv pro & the sound system with an spl meter and avia. The discussion here was whether the cable made any difference at all for any practical purpose!

Last edited:
Try this... turn on 12 bit ( also mentioned as 36 bit on some equipment) on your player and try playing 1080p 60hz on it, nine out of 10 the cheap cables wont play it, a high speed hdmi cable(moderately expensive) will do the job though.
Absolutely right. Except I'd like to add that at times even 'expensive' cables fail at this. Thus price in itself is no guarantee of a good cable. Monster HDMI cables are known to have failed this test. Bottom line, stay away from Monster. :)

Last weekend I went to Croma store nearby.. they had a Panasonic one (short) and the only other options I had was a Logitech one (rupees 1549 - this is HDMI1.2 - I Later checked on Logitech support website). Finally I bought the Bandridge gold plated one which is 6.6 feet for 1299 (MRP is 1999)... Oh well.

Bandridge is good, Profigold from bandridge is better, I have two bandridges and 8 profigolds.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back