Help in building HTPC/Server

NEO : the price quote for the 1 TB harddisk is a bit too high.
As of today in bangalore the cost is approximately 6500/- for 1 TB Seagate SATA Disk..

open this link Computer Warehouse Online - Build your PC yourself and dropdown the box for Harddisk and see the prices. Even though these are not the most accurate prices, the prices in SP road a tad bit cheaper...

i guess things are much costlier from where you are enquiring.

Just thought u should know about it

Regards,
Prashant

EDIT INFO : -- In fact on the same link check for the 1.5 TB disk which is approximately 8500 /-

I just called a Nehru place dealer (delhi) i know, says seagate SATA 500 gigs HDD: Rs. 2850
So getting 2*500 gigs at Rs. 5700 is cheaper as well as a better idea. Unless he starts ripping bluray discs to these drives, 1 TB is enough for 100's of audio-cd->flac album storage and a few hundred DVD rips.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Loads of questions to be asked my computer guy.

The break up of the cost of the conifg .
Pricing :
Cpu and motherboard : Rs 37000/=
Graphic card Rs : 20000/=
Blu ray Burner : Rs 9000/=
Cooler master with 650 watts : Rs 9000/=
3 Gb DDR3: Rs 15,000/=
1 TB HDD : Rs 10000/=
Wireless kb mouse : Rs 2000/=
Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 : Rs 15000/=

@vortex, bhaskie approx how much would the processor & MOBO as suggested by you cost?
will it be able to take frequent internet downloads & may be a bit of gaming at times??

If any body is intrested may be we can import the thermaltakes stuff as it does seem to be available in India.Min 6pc required.

Thanks again.
Regards.

Our suggested mobo and processor combination should cost you less than 10K. Let me give you a perspective. Then you can decide how you want to build your HTPC. For me, one of the biggest needs from a HTPC was for it to be silent. That is the reason why I refrain from playing movies or music straight from its DVD drive. I rip content off the disc onto the hard drive before playing it.

Now if you install a video card there are the twin issues of noise and heat coming up. Your HTPC must be a workhorse rather than a race horse. Speed is not as important as is dependability and ability to work for long hours without break. Installing a high end video card sometimes means that you will have a big component within - most probably occupying your PCI Ex slot. You will need to keep in mind that the sound card you are looking at is also a PCI EX solution. Some mobos have a space layout problem with this. The Gigabyte does perform a nice job of this and I think this would be OK. But your noise and heat quotients would definitely be affected by installing a display card.

This will be a factor if you use the HTPC as a pristine music source. If this is not your need and it is going to be for movies and gaming, I would say go ahead and get any display card you want. If it is for music, I would suggest avoiding the display card and building another system for your gaming needs - if your time and budget allow.

I just called a Nehru place dealer (delhi) i know, says seagate SATA 500 gigs HDD: Rs. 2850
So getting 2*500 gigs at Rs. 5700 is cheaper as well as a better idea. Unless he starts ripping bluray discs to these drives, 1 TB is enough for 100's of audio-cd->flac album storage and a few hundred DVD rips.

I would agree with this anyday.

Plus getting a portable 1 TB drive is also an option. Even that should cost about 8K only.

Our suggested mobo and processor combination should cost you less than 10K. Let me give you a perspective. Then you can decide how you want to build your HTPC. For me, one of the biggest needs from a HTPC was for it to be silent. That is the reason why I refrain from playing movies or music straight from its DVD drive. I rip content off the disc onto the hard drive before playing it.

Now if you install a video card there are the twin issues of noise and heat coming up. Your HTPC must be a workhorse rather than a race horse. Speed is not as important as is dependability and ability to work for long hours without break. Installing a high end video card sometimes means that you will have a big component within - most probably occupying your PCI Ex slot. You will need to keep in mind that the sound card you are looking at is also a PCI EX solution. Some mobos have a space layout problem with this. The Gigabyte does perform a nice job of this and I think this would be OK. But your noise and heat quotients would definitely be affected by installing a display card.

This will be a factor if you use the HTPC as a pristine music source. If this is not your need and it is going to be for movies and gaming, I would say go ahead and get any display card you want. If it is for music, I would suggest avoiding the display card and building another system for your gaming needs - if your time and budget allow.

great post! HTPC and gaming workhorse does not go together so well. whats the point of getting a huge display card and a large mobo and a large chassis when HTPC can do with a micro-atx with a pci-express and good 790G mobo + xonar d2x. getting a large chassis will look ugly as well (IMHO)

There are fanless display cards available. These dont make sound. Though you might not get the latest display cards in the fanless version.

There are fanless display cards available. These dont make sound. Though you might not get the latest display cards in the fanless version.

Very true. However, the presence of a display card powerful enough to play today's games will give rise to enormous rise in heat within the cabinet. To offset this you may have to install additional fans which in turn give rise to higher noise levels - which are eminently avoidable in the case of a HTPC focussing on hifi music.

Hey! Guys had a long chat with my computer guy.

The config that he had given was due to my words 'Great HTPC' & he agrees that such a high config is not required.

The graphics card is an add on to the Xonar 1.3 to further improve on the Video?

The HD is expensive as it has a 32Mb cache memory & that particular WD model is one of the best. The high cache memory is required for continous streaming of video & better multitasking.

The processor can def be downgraded to quad core or comparable?

But eventullay the config will cost 50k+
Thanks
Cheers

I still dont agree with your computer guy on the components. If you have a Xonar HDAV why do you need the display card for? It all depends on whether you are going to use this rig as your main gaming machine as well.

Hey! Here's a basic HTPC config.

ntel core2duo E8200 2.66 Ghz with 6 Mb Cache Memory
4 Gb 800 Mhz Kingston Memory
500 Gb Sata II 3Gb/Sec HDD
LG 6X Blu ray Writer / HDDVD Reader
VIP/Umax Horizontal HTPC Casing
Wireless Keyboard Mouse Logitech
Realtek 8 Channel Sound Card with SPIDF out

Rs 37,900/=

HI Neo,

this looks like a good config/cost.

btw.. just a hint that to completely utilize 4GB of RAM, you would need to use x64 version of windows... the 32 bit versions cannot take more than 3 GB..
hope you are aware of this ....so if you are planning to use x64, then see for the drivers if they are all available for 64 bit version....

had a bit tough time to get 64 bit drivers for my M-AUdio card, unfortunately the drivers for the x64 was still in beta phase none-the-less it worked..!!

Hey! Here's a basic HTPC config.

ntel core2duo E8200 2.66 Ghz with 6 Mb Cache Memory
4 Gb 800 Mhz Kingston Memory
500 Gb Sata II 3Gb/Sec HDD
LG 6X Blu ray Writer / HDDVD Reader
VIP/Umax Horizontal HTPC Casing
Wireless Keyboard Mouse Logitech
Realtek 8 Channel Sound Card with SPIDF out

Rs 37,900/=

Neo, you dont need the Core2Duo with 6 MB cache or the 4 MB RAM. Not if you are going to use this as a HTPC per se.

I would instead splurge out on a sound card. A HTPC can be economically yet powerfully built using the AMD X2 processors. If you do want to go with an Intel, go for the lowest Core2duo - somewhere around 5000 bucks.

Also with the AMD, I know the Gigabyte solution takes care of FUll HD Video. With the Intel you have got to check on that.

I think in this budget, you can easily go for 2 seperate machines. One for htpc and another server for your vmware work. For all you know, you might save some money also.
It will also help in logical seperation between work and pleasure. Also a lot of requirements are at odds. HTPC needs a small sleek cabinet, your server will be better off in a good large cabinet, where you will have more options.
An htpc is better off with either xp, or xp mce. Your server will probably be win2k3 or some linux etc.

HTPC config. you dont need more than this.
2.4 GHZ cpu dual core <3000
2GB RAM. More is a waste, anyway 32 bit xp cant use above 3 gb. around 1000 bucks
good mother board with a decent on board video card, with dvi/hdmi output, and bit perfect spdif output that can be used by the av receiver. You can later add a good sound card if not satisfied with this. Around 5-6k
Wireless network and adaptor - 3000
wireless kbd mouse 2000
500 gb hdd 32mb cache. btw There is just a 50 bucks difference between 32mb and 16mb cache. 2800
A good htpc cabinet. 7000

Total - around 25k. That leaves you with 75k for your server.

Thats it.

Y'day I purchased the components for my HTPC from SP Road.

Price List:

AMD 64 X2 5200+ : 2850/-
Dual core processor with 2.7Mhz. For an HTPC this is snake oil. Since i am planning to use it as my secondary PC along with my laptop (for some browsing / downloading using VM) cum MediaServer, i chose this one.

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP - rev 2.1 : 4700/-
AMD 780 chipset (ATI HD3200) is considered to be better than the Nvida 8200 in several reviews for HTPC use.
Gigabyte is having 3 mobo versions using the AMD 780G chipset (rev 1.0, 1.1, 2.1). Rev1.0 was having some heating problems which got rectified in rev 1.1 by adding bigger heatsinks in its northbridge and southbridge section. Except that, there is no change other than rev 1.0. Rev2.1 is having the same architecture as rev1.1, along with AM3 controller support for DDR3 memory (thru' a simple BIOS upgrade). Compared to Asus, GB has the better PCB architecture and audio chipset (Realtek 889a compared to 883) along with extra features that an HTPC requires (eg. I believe, in Asus, the max memory that can be assigned for graphics is 256MB where as GB supports 512MB @ 500Mhz as default that can be overclocked to 900Mhz for even better performance, 855Mhz is the best overclocked speed as per one review on this mobo for Gaming and Bluray movies)

One drawback I found was both digial and analog audio doesnt work at a time. I was planning to make my 5.1 receiver to 7.1 (5.1 thru' digial out to receiver and 2 back surrounds from analog to a normal amp). I need to find out some alternative for that.

2GB Transcend 800Mhz : 1050/-
Better use 800Mhz (depends on the processor used), 5200+ is having 800Mhz bus. Also you need to have 2 sticks to make use of the Dual channel option (not required for HTPC purpose)

500GB Seagate (32MB) HDD : 2850/-

Local PSU 500w (Solitiare) with 28A in 12V : adjusted in the total bill
A 300w (60% of the 500w : actual power handling of almost all local psu) power supply handling is more than enough to handle the above config. along with 2/3 IDE/SATA devices. Also GB 2.1 supports 16 USB devices, we can use them for adding more devices using converters. Incase if you are planning to use another graphics card for hardcore gaming, then you may need to upgrade to some solid state psu. Another option would be to use another normal psu for handling all devices except the mobo), some DIY effort is required.

Total : Finally rounded to 12500/- (inc. tax) after a lot of bargaining (12800/- to 12500/-)

IMO the above config is some what reasonable considering the purpose : powerconsumption ratio.

I took from Computer Zone (Ankit also agreed to give the same for 12.5K)

Cabinet : custom build (DIY) - yet to be made. Need to experiment the sound dampening inside the cabinet

Game Controllers (for occasional gaming) : yet to be purchased

BluRay Player : yet to purchased (prob. later, once they are affordable)

Last edited:
cmsajith, as good as the realtek audio solution is on this motherboard, it is by no means better than the audio circuitry used even in a entry level receiver or integrated amp.

The analog out option would best be used when you use a dedicated sound card. Good luck with the rest of the HTPC building endeavour!

@vortex, I am also telling the same thing. Thats why I was looking for a mobo with both the digital and analog o/p. I was planning to use my 5.1 Receiver's DAC for 5.1 thru digital o/p and for the remaining back 2 surrounds, use the analog out from realtek to get a 7.1 setup. But i think none of the mobos will enable digital and analog audio at a time. Any other workaround..?

@vortex, I am also telling the same thing. Thats why I was looking for a mobo with both the digital and analog o/p. I was planning to use my 5.1 Receiver's DAC for 5.1 thru digital o/p and for the remaining back 2 surrounds, use the analog out from realtek to get a 7.1 setup. But i think none of the mobos will enable digital and analog audio at a time. Any other workaround..?

cmsajith, I am afraid this is exactly what I was trying to advise against. You would be hard pressed to find a motherboard whose onboard sound can beat your Receiver's DAC and/or sound reproduction capabilities.

If you wish to use analog output from your computer, a quality sound card needs to be used.

For a music only computer, that can be placed in the living room, close to the avr - do you guys suggest intel atom? Can we save some electricity here?

regards

It is possible to have analog and digital outs simultaneously. This is easily doable in XP and used to need a driver update in Vista. Just google and you will get the links.

The problem is trying to send out the rear surround channels out of the analog outs. This is IMHO not possible unless you somehow decode the 7.1 audio through an application and then filter only the surround channels. This will surely add noise to the analog outs as well as maybe delay/latency issues which might screw up your 7.1 experience. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here!

You also need to look up Virtual Audio Cable Home Page and see if that might help in the case.

BTW how are you planning to amplify the rear surrounds even if you manage to achieve the above? :)

Cheers!
Bhaskie

Atom cpu is good, chiset is not advanced - if you want to play DVDs tomorrow it will sweat to play 720p forget 1080p. Then if you want to upscale SD videos nd apply post-processing it will break down in tears and plead with you about all the back-breaking work you are imposing on it. Just kidding :lol:

Also for music pc please please use very expensive smps with active power factor correction to avoid bad harmonics in power supplied.

The Corsair 400cx can be had for Rs 3200/- . It is also 80Plus greenpower certified meaning it will not waste electricity it pulls that much.

I would suggest the dual core BE-4050 AMD cpu 45nm process with 1MB cache ( normal is 512 per core) for low TDP.

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back