Help in getting bypassed sound from FTA stb to samsung 40f5100

Amansingh

Guys i have some fta set top box. When i bypass eac3 sound from stb connected to samsung led 40f5100, tv does not give the audio. However when i connected stb to yamaha avr i got the sound from avr, which confirms that stb is outputting/bypassing sound. Is there any solution to play bypassed sound on samsung led. I do not want to connect stb to avr directly because for the obvious reason of chance of damaging the avr hdmi board.
So guys pls help me getting sound on led tv? Or is there chance that my led do not support this functionality

You should explain your setup more. Are you connecting the STB to the TV and then TV to the AVR? In that case, it likely won't work for E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) unless your TV supports HDMI ARC (it doesn't seem like your model does, but please correct me if I'm wrong), you're using a cable that supports HDMI ARC, and your AVR supports DD+ (it seems like it does).

You should likely be able to play the sound through the TV speakers itself since your model seems to support DD+.

I do not want to connect stb to avr directly because for the obvious reason of chance of damaging the avr hdmi board
Please share some other pieces of electronics wisdom you have. I'd love to hear them. Your AVR is in way more danger of going bad by the 220V A/C current from the wall than an HDMI cable with 5V.

You should explain your setup more. Are you connecting the STB to the TV and then TV to the AVR? In that case, it likely won't work for E-AC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) unless your TV supports HDMI ARC (it doesn't seem like your model does, but please correct me if I'm wrong), you're using a cable that supports HDMI ARC, and your AVR supports DD+ (it seems like it does).

You should likely be able to play the sound through the TV speakers itself since your model seems to support DD+.

Please share some other pieces of electronics wisdom you have. I'd love to hear them. Your AVR is in way more danger of going bad by the 220V A/C current from the wall than an HDMI cable with 5V.
I have connected stb to tv via hdmi. Also connected avr to tv input. My tv does not support arc and i neither want it.

Now the thing is if i bypass eac3 from stb which is connected to tv input via hdmi, the tv doesn't produce any sound (which as per my understanding should work, correct me if i am wrong).
Then if i connect my stb to avr input(through bypassing), the avr produce audio. I believe, this removes the doubt that there cud the problem the stb bypassing.
Now coming to the previous and main question, why doesnot my tv decodes and produce sound? Please help me in this regard. is there something to do with compatibility or my tv simply does not support eac3?

Now coming to my wisdom, i have read many times here in this forum that it is better to not connect stb and avr via hdmi as it cause damage to hdmi board.

My tv does not support arc and i neither want it.
Why would you not want ARC/eARC? It's the only way to play Dolby Digital plus, DTS HD or any high resolution codecs.

Now the thing is if i bypass eac3 from stb which is connected to tv input via hdmi, the tv doesn't produce any sound (which as per my understanding should work, correct me if i am wrong).
No, it should not work. EAC3 can only work either through direct HDMI in, HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC. It won't work over optical for example.
Then if i connect my stb to avr input(through bypassing), the avr produce audio. I believe, this removes the doubt that there cud the problem the stb bypassing.
Correct, the problem is your TV and not the STB.
Now coming to the previous and main question, why doesnot my tv decodes and produce sound? Please help me in this regard. is there something to do with compatibility or my tv simply does not support eac3?
Your inbuilt speakers on TV do work with E-AC3 input, right? Your TV should support decoding E-AC3 as far as I see on the specs page. Try using the TV's inbuilt audio rather than doing passthrough to at least get to that stage, then we can go further debugging it.

What you want the TV to do is to pass through AC3(Dolby Digital) transcoded from E-AC3 if you're using optical as the way of connecting TV and AVR. If you're using 3.5 mm jack, then you need to convert it to 2-channel PCM signal. Your TV's sound output settings should have these options.
Now coming to my wisdom, i have read many times here in this forum that it is better to not connect stb and avr via hdmi as it cause damage to hdmi board.
That seems like complete nonsense to me. Your AVR is designed to handle way more power than what a puny HDMI cable can provide. HDMI is a data protocol and doesn't have much power in it, so physical damage by connecting to a bad source sounds impossible from an electronics viewpoint.

Modern HDMI ports are very foolproof and your STB did get HDMI certified so it won't send very high voltage signals there. And if the STB HDMI was so dangerous, we'd be seeing TV's go poof all over the news. Don't worry about it.

Bro u are completely misunderstanding.
Remove the avr from the problem.
I have connected stb and tv with HDMI. My stb is bypassing the eac3 audio. Now i just want my tv to decode and i want audio from my tv speakers. And my tv is not doing that. I do not know why

Bro u are completely misunderstanding.
Remove the avr from the problem.
I have connected stb and tv with HDMI. My stb is bypassing the eac3 audio. Now i just want my tv to decode and i want audio from my tv speakers. And my tv is not doing that. I do not know why
Oh, I see. Can you try getting an E-AC3 containing video file and playing it back directly on the TV via a USB drive? If that doesn't play, then nothing can be done.

Oh, I see. Can you try getting an E-AC3 containing video file and playing it back directly on the TV via a USB drive? If that doesn't play, then nothing can be done.
Yes bro i tried that. From usb, tv play sound from dd plus file. And when i played the same file by attaching pendrive to fta box(which is connected to tv via hdmi), no sound came.
Then i tried with my airtel hd box which support dd plus sound. In the box when i select dd, tv plays sound but when i select dd plus in stb tv does not play any sound.

It is so strange, that tv can play dd plus sound from usb but not hdmi source.
Can this be solved?

Yes bro i tried that. From usb, tv play sound from dd plus file. And when i played the same file by attaching pendrive to fta box(which is connected to tv via hdmi), no sound came.
Then i tried with my airtel hd box which support dd plus sound. In the box when i select dd, tv plays sound but when i select dd plus in stb tv does not play any sound.

It is so strange, that tv can play dd plus sound from usb but not hdmi source.
Can this be solved?
I'm guessing the HDMI cable is fine since I'm assuming you tried the same HDMI cable to pass-through audio to your AVR. In that case, the best situation would be to either use DD and connect STB to your TV or just connect STB to your AVR (my recommendation).

I'm guessing the HDMI cable is fine since I'm assuming you tried the same HDMI cable to pass-through audio to your AVR. In that case, the best situation would be to either use DD and connect STB to your TV or just connect STB to your AVR (my recommendation).
Thats the issue. The box which i am going to use cannot decode, it can only passthrough. And the source is dd plus. So tv receivea only dd plus signal which tv is not decoding. I want my tv to decode dd plus.
Yes connecting to avr works but i do not want to risk avr, moreover i do not want to watch stb on avr.

Thats the issue. The box which i am going to use cannot decode, it can only passthrough. And the source is dd plus. So tv receivea only dd plus signal which tv is not decoding. I want my tv to decode dd plus.
Yes connecting to avr works but i do not want to risk avr, moreover i do not want to watch stb on avr.
Can you force it to pass-through DD instead of DD+ is what I'm asking? DD+ to DD is a rather straightforward conversion instead of a transcode, so should be possible with almost anything.

No bro it cannot be forced. It only sends dd plus
Can you send shots of your TV's sound menu settings? I'm sure something can be adjusted there to set it up. There must also be an information button on the TV (something with 'i' written on it) which will show you what actually the TV is interpreting from the HDMI signal.

One more thing you can try is connecting the TV to the AVR via optical cable and setting the audio to pass-through mode on TV. DD+ just has extra data over DD and bare DD should be passed through to the AVR which will be decoded I guess.

Tv info just shows 1920 ×1080. No other interpretation. No bro i have tried all settings in sound menu.

I cant do that either, spdif output only has pcm, dolby digital and dts. The thing is dolby digital and dts can only be selected when the source is in dolby digital and dts. If source is dolby digital plus, these options cannot be selected.

Tv info just shows 1920 ×1080. No other interpretation. No bro i have tried all settings in sound menu.

I cant do that either, spdif output only has pcm, dolby digital and dts. The thing is dolby digital and dts can only be selected when the source is in dolby digital and dts. If source is dolby digital plus, these options cannot be selected.
How about selecting just PCM when the input is in DD+? If even that doesn't work, I'm afraid that I believe your TV has become rather outdated for your STB. In that case the only solution would be to connect the STB with the AVR. If you're worried about HDMI board failure, just connect the STB with AVR using an optical cable. Optical is a data-only protocol and carries no current so it can't fry your AVR.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back