Help me buy a 42 incher

I just wanna piggyback on this thread as I am in the same boat. Same size and same price range. Copying and pasting what I wrote elsewhere.

I need to upgrade my current 32" LCD with something bigger.

I am open to suggestions but budget is limited to 60k, not a rupee more. Preferably less. Size should be 40".

So I went out to see what was in the market ATM and this is what I narrowed it down to.

1) LCD - Toshiba 40". Price is 35k which is the biggest plus. All in all a very solid LCD. I saw the Sony and Samsung side by side and while both Sony and Samsung were slightly better I felt the difference was negligible. Certainly not worth the price increment.

2) Plasma - Panasonic 42". The colors are a little dull and dark compared to something like and LED but its a pretty decent TV. Big advantage is it can do 3D and the 3D was very good indeed. Even compared to the other 3D TVs I saw. Disadvantage is the 3D effect goes a little out of whack if you move over 8-10 feet. Which isnt a problem cause I will be sitting in that distance. Price was 59k.

3 LED - Vu 46". This one took my by complete surprise. I wasnt even gonna bother with brands I didnt know about but this was hooked up next to a Samsung LED (series 7 or 8) and the difference was almost impossible to find. Which is to say the picture quality was absolutely mindblowing. It was absolutely crazy how good this looked. And the price was 52k. Which is just insane for that kind of real estate and picture quality. Only drawback is the brand name. So I have no idea about durability, after sales support etc.

Right now I am leaning towards the Vu, its just crazy good. However I would like to know if anyone has bought that and what are their thoughts.

I am open to other suggestions as well. If you think there is something else in my budget that I need to look at I am willing to give it a go.

90% of its usage will be gaming. Other 10% is some movies and regular TV.

Edit Also, first post ever. Hi fellas. :D

Bump. Anyone?

Bump. Anyone?

If you demo all the tv's in a low ambient lighting I am quite sure the Panasonic will triumph. Its hard to beat a plasma when you look at price vs performance looking at 3D performance, black levels, contrast ratio's, accurate colours, etc.........Plasma would be my pick since I would go for cinema like warm colours. However, if I were to like bright over saturated vivid colours then maybe I would look at LED.

I'm currently looking for Pany plasma 42" tv mainly for SD viewing. It will be my second TV and looking for entry levels. I have found pretty good price for P42UX30(E) (full hd) but for the same price have found P42X50(E) which is 2012 model and not FHD. But it is strange that P42X50 is so weightless compared to 2011 models.Any suggestions which one from those would be better to buy? :sad:

I'm currently looking for Pany plasma 42" tv mainly for SD viewing. It will be my second TV and looking for entry levels. I have found pretty good price for P42UX30(E) (full hd) but for the same price have found P42X50(E) which is 2012 model and not FHD. But it is strange that P42X50 is so weightless compared to 2011 models.Any suggestions which one from those would be better to buy? :sad:

From what I understand you are looking at 2012 model X50 and 2011 model U30/UT30. If it's UT30 then it will have all the specs as U30 and will also support 3D.There is no UX30. If we are ONLY looking at SD then the X50 will be a better buy due to the new brighter panel and less video processing required to display a SD signal. However things might chance once you feed a 1080p signal. The U30/UT30 would play 1080p better having a full HD panel. Choice is yours...........The only 1080p content available today is bluray, everything else is either 720p or 1080i which will look better on X50. But the rule always is to go and demo before you buy!!!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back