Help me buy a 42 incher

Amateur2012

Hi,

My CRT gave up on my yesterday and i am in the market to buy a 42 incher plasma/LCD/LED in a budget of Rs.40-55k. I went to the Croma and am thoroughly confused. There are just so many options out there!! I believe the 2012 launches of samsung and Panasonic. At Croma, the guy tried hard to sell me the display piece of Panasonic plasma P42ST30D for 58k. Though the TV stood out from all the TVs around it, i did not feel right to make a hasty decision. Please guys help me decide the best i can get for my budget.

Regards
Ujval

Hi,

My CRT gave up on my yesterday and i am in the market to buy a 42 incher plasma/LCD/LED in a budget of Rs.40-55k. I went to the Croma and am thoroughly confused. There are just so many options out there!! I believe the 2012 launches of samsung and Panasonic. At Croma, the guy tried hard to sell me the display piece of Panasonic plasma P42ST30D for 58k. Though the TV stood out from all the TVs around it, i did not feel right to make a hasty decision. Please guys help me decide the best i can get for my budget.

Regards
Ujval

Recently, I bought the TH-P42ST30D after making a survey on whether to buy LED or Plasma. It is very difficult to come to a conclusion from these comparisons as almost all the comparisons do not stay Yes go with LED or Plasma. Finallly I decided to go for Plasma as it gives you the natural color and picture. On the otherhand, LEDs are bright which in turn causes to lose the natural color. But for the fact that Plasma Tvs can make your electricity bill little bit higher, I would say that these are superior to LEDs. when it comes of Plasma TV; Panasonic plasma are the good ones. Hence I bought the TH-P42ST30D for 63 K in vashi Mumbai. Make sure that you get the 3D-eyewear along with your TV. My dealer took about 15 days to get it for me after repeated phone calls to the delaer and the Panasonic India Customer service!!! This is a good TV, The HD-signals from Tata sky are extremely good. It has the DLNA feature so if you have a wireless home network, then you can play your Movies in your computer and watch it on the TV. You can watch the photographs/music/vidoes taken using your android/iphone in the TV. The 3D is also good in this TV. only thing is that this TV comes with only one 3D eyewear. you need to buy extra glasses for your family. one 3D EYEwear costs around rs.5,000.
try to know the usage hours of your tv since it is a display piece!
best,
thamizhavel

Recently, I bought the TH-P42ST30D after making a survey on whether to buy LED or Plasma. It is very difficult to come to a conclusion from these comparisons as almost all the comparisons do not stay Yes go with LED or Plasma. Finallly I decided to go for Plasma as it gives you the natural color and picture. On the otherhand, LEDs are bright which in turn causes to lose the natural color. But for the fact that Plasma Tvs can make your electricity bill little bit higher, I would say that these are superior to LEDs. when it comes of Plasma TV; Panasonic plasma are the good ones. Hence I bought the TH-P42ST30D for 63 K in vashi Mumbai. Make sure that you get the 3D-eyewear along with your TV. My dealer took about 15 days to get it for me after repeated phone calls to the delaer and the Panasonic India Customer service!!! This is a good TV, The HD-signals from Tata sky are extremely good. It has the DLNA feature so if you have a wireless home network, then you can play your Movies in your computer and watch it on the TV. You can watch the photographs/music/vidoes taken using your android/iphone in the TV. The 3D is also good in this TV. only thing is that this TV comes with only one 3D eyewear. you need to buy extra glasses for your family. one 3D EYEwear costs around rs.5,000.
try to know the usage hours of your tv since it is a display piece!
best,
thamizhavel

I'm glad you did not fall for all the marketing hype that surrounds LED tv's..............plasma is indeed a better choice and ST30 is an excellent tv, congrats!!!

Hi,

Regards
Ujval

Most stores and salesmen will always try to push LED over plasma. Most are totally ignorant of the technology difference between Plasma and LED........let alone highlighting the differences. So, I'm afraid you will need to do your research on your own and please do not rely on all the sales talk..........they have no clue what they are selling or should be selling.

You can't go wrong with plasma..............42ST30 is indeed an excellent choice. You might also want to go through some reviews for st30:
Panasonic TC-P50ST30 Review: Watch our Video Review Budget Price 3D Plasma, TCP50ST30
Panasonic TX-P42ST30 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Go for Plasma,that would be a better choice, i myself bought Panasonic 42u30s after lot of confusion and decided it, now i am very much happier with the tv.

Display piece for 58k?! Don't buy it. New one's are going for around 60k and will have much longer life.. Also inquire about 42ut50 which will be better than 42st30.

Thank you all for the responses!! I am managed to buy one yet. I seem to be inclined towards a Pana plasma after looking at the st30. The PQ(Blacks, natural colour) was the best among all those that hung around it.
RedFlag- is the 42ut50 a neo pdp panel ? I did not find it at Croma in Mumbai. Is it a 2012 plasma series of pana? How is it priced?

Thank you all for the responses!! I am managed to buy one yet. I seem to be inclined towards a Pana plasma after looking at the st30. The PQ(Blacks, natural colour) was the best among all those that hung around it.
RedFlag- is the 42ut50 a neo pdp panel ? I did not find it at Croma in Mumbai. Is it a 2012 plasma series of pana? How is it priced?

Neo pdp panels only on VT,GT,ST, V, G, S............if going for panasonic try to get any of these models, neo pdp does make a big difference and separates them from other tv's.

Finally i booked an ST30 for 59k with 2 pairs of 3d glasses from the panasonic showroom so as to ensure i get a new piece. My wife is not so happy by the way it looks(it has a rather thick bezel unlike the thin ones on newer models). Are you guys aware of the newer version of the ST30 with a thinner bezel? Is it on its 2012 line up ? I asked the salesman and he suggested that the older ST30 was better than the new one(thinner bezel). But he later also told me that though it was launched it was not available in India yet. Any inputs guys?

Finally i booked an ST30 for 59k with 2 pairs of 3d glasses from the panasonic showroom so as to ensure i get a new piece. My wife is not so happy by the way it looks(it has a rather thick bezel unlike the thin ones on newer models). Are you guys aware of the newer version of the ST30 with a thinner bezel? Is it on its 2012 line up ? I asked the salesman and he suggested that the older ST30 was better than the new one(thinner bezel). But he later also told me that though it was launched it was not available in India yet. Any inputs guys?

Panasonic 2012 line up has been launched and now even features on their website. The 2012 models are slimmer and technology has been upgraded. So yes ST50 would be better than ST30 but at a much higher price. Many forum memebers have already purchased the 2012 models. Only VT50 is yet to be launched.

Yes they are not available as of now in Chandigarh but will be there in a weeks time. The 40 and 50 inch 2012 models were available on preorder. I am holding my horses for larger ones.

50GT50 and 50XT50 are available as of now and those are the ones the forums members have bought till now.42 inch versions of the same are not available non of the ST50s(42,50 or 55) have been launched till date or rather is available for us to buy as of now.

I just wanna piggyback on this thread as I am in the same boat. Same size and same price range. Copying and pasting what I wrote elsewhere.

I need to upgrade my current 32" LCD with something bigger.

I am open to suggestions but budget is limited to 60k, not a rupee more. Preferably less. Size should be 40".

So I went out to see what was in the market ATM and this is what I narrowed it down to.

1) LCD - Toshiba 40". Price is 35k which is the biggest plus. All in all a very solid LCD. I saw the Sony and Samsung side by side and while both Sony and Samsung were slightly better I felt the difference was negligible. Certainly not worth the price increment.

2) Plasma - Panasonic 42". The colors are a little dull and dark compared to something like and LED but its a pretty decent TV. Big advantage is it can do 3D and the 3D was very good indeed. Even compared to the other 3D TVs I saw. Disadvantage is the 3D effect goes a little out of whack if you move over 8-10 feet. Which isnt a problem cause I will be sitting in that distance. Price was 59k.

3 LED - Vu 46". This one took my by complete surprise. I wasnt even gonna bother with brands I didnt know about but this was hooked up next to a Samsung LED (series 7 or 8) and the difference was almost impossible to find. Which is to say the picture quality was absolutely mindblowing. It was absolutely crazy how good this looked. And the price was 52k. Which is just insane for that kind of real estate and picture quality. Only drawback is the brand name. So I have no idea about durability, after sales support etc.

Right now I am leaning towards the Vu, its just crazy good. However I would like to know if anyone has bought that and what are their thoughts.

I am open to other suggestions as well. If you think there is something else in my budget that I need to look at I am willing to give it a go.

90% of its usage will be gaming. Other 10% is some movies and regular TV.

Edit Also, first post ever. Hi fellas. :D

And yes i am not interested in a 3d, but i believe most good models these days are 3d.

Unfortunately most tv's are 3D...........maybe its marketing strategyy. Even Panasonic's 2012 line have all 3D with the exception of X50 which is the basic entry level 720p display plasma. If going for Panasonic you should go with any model with neo pdp panel + infinite black pro. They really make a difference.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back