Help me choose Home Projector,budget 1L.

Hi I would suggest w5700 from benq. Mainly for close viewing. It’s sharpness is much higher than 9400.The reason is even though both are pixel shifters 9400 just fires 1080 p pixels twice making only 4 million pixels, whereas w5700 fires 1080p 4 times making it 8 million pixels. But this difference is seen only if you are watching close. If the viewing distance is above 15 feet you may not notice it. In your case as the viewing distance is just 10 feet. You may choose w5700. Since you will not be able to see pixelation on screen.

Thx for your so informative advice.Totally agree with you.Yes,black levels has always been major concern for me and I was looking for projector which can produce black levels and after being suggested by few members and you of course, 9400 is what i am looking forward to.

You are right again,as i was watching reviews of 9400 and it has been compared with JVC and SONY which are very expensive compared to this so called 'Gem'. :).

I was thinking to post new thread regarding which screen to buy but as u mentioned it here,which brand would you suggest?
Just surfing around last night and for now i just selected this one.

and yes I watch movies only in the evening.
Epson is bright for a dark room and brighter than W5700. And for dark room, a 1.0 gain screen is enough. There are chances for sparkles on a higher gain screen. Epson uses a very good image processing. So it can be sharper than its DLP counterpart. Moreover, Epson's 9xxx series are considered the best in the price range.

If you own a htpc, use MadVR's tone mapping and you won't believe what 9400 can do with 4K HDR content. And difference between the pixel count/ screen door effect is not at all visible to naked eyes. For HDR content, Epson is miles ahead as it is brighter and the colors just pop. A fine line between pop and over saturation.

No other manufacturer comes close to 9400 in the price range. Period. And it's US equivalent is 6050UB. A step above the mighty 5050UB.

But it is difficult to audition higher end projectors. Most of them have entry level ones for demo. Having said that, 9400 is a solid purchase decision.

Or, wait for Epson to release a native 4K projector. And splurge the rest of the budget on better receiver/ speakers, lol.

Btw, where are you based at?

Hi I would suggest w5700 from benq. Mainly for close viewing. It’s sharpness is much higher than 9400.The reason is even though both are pixel shifters 9400 just fires 1080 p pixels twice making only 4 million pixels, whereas w5700 fires 1080p 4 times making it 8 million pixels. But this difference is seen only if you are watching close. If the viewing distance is above 15 feet you may not notice it. In your case as the viewing distance is just 10 feet. You may choose w5700. Since you will not be able to see pixelation on screen.
Thx for your advice @Sivasathya but as I have checked online price of w5700 is around 2.9L and @drkrack said he bought it for 1.9L,which is 1L difference already.

@Silencer Yes I am going to connect it to PC and I can understand what you mean as I myself been using madVR for ages now.

I had already purchased 5.1 speakers and AVR last year.For projector i been waiting for almost 2 yrs and i don't mind if i have to wait more.But right now I am in talks with seller regarding 9400 and i hope to buy it this year.
I am from punjab.

Thx for your advice @Sivasathya but as I have checked online price of w5700 is around 2.9L and @drkrack said he bought it for 1.9L,which is 1L difference already.

@Silencer Yes I am going to connect it to PC and I can understand what you mean as I myself been using madVR for ages now.

I had already purchased 5.1 speakers and AVR last year.For projector i been waiting for almost 2 yrs and i don't mind if i have to wait more.But right now I am in talks with seller regarding 9400 and i hope to buy it this year.
I am from punjab.
Hi I recently bought w5700 for 2.1l. I was also in the same boat as you. My room viewing distance is also 10 feet. That’s why I choose this w5700. I am using elite screen 100 inch diagonal screen with 1.1 gain. Even if you see very close there is no pixelation. There is a nice you tube video by scottcomparing 9400 and 5700. You can check it out.
If it is for a bigger screen like 150 inch and for a longer distance viewing then definitely 9400 is better.
But if your viewing distance is 10 feet and screen till 120 diagonal I will suggest w5700.
Please don’t go just by the ansi lumens as the measure of brightness - you can check the on screen brightness when viewing hdr content it’s not that different .
I am having a native 4K Sony projector for my main ht with 150 inch diagonal screen. I can’t find much different between them.
If you want, I can send video of how they perform in your pm

I am from punjab.
Good luck

Hi I recently bought w5700 for 2.1l. I was also in the same boat as you. My room viewing distance is also 10 feet. That’s why I choose this w5700. I am using elite screen 100 inch diagonal screen with 1.1 gain. Even if you see very close there is no pixelation. There is a nice you tube video by scottcomparing 9400 and 5700. You can check it out.
If it is for a bigger screen like 150 inch and for a longer distance viewing then definitely 9400 is better.
But if your viewing distance is 10 feet and screen till 120 diagonal I will suggest w5700.
Please don’t go just by the ansi lumens as the measure of brightness - you can check the on screen brightness when viewing hdr content it’s not that different .
I am having a native 4K Sony projector for my main ht with 150 inch diagonal screen. I can’t find much different between them.
If you want, I can send video of how they perform in your pm
I really appreciate that you would send video just to help me out and I believe you what u said about w5700 but there is still 50k difference.I believe if one wants to spoil the zeal of buying a new product,one should start comparing with higher models.Then that person will keep regretting if i might have bought this or that.
As i mentioned earlier my budget was 1L and somehow if I could get 9400 after stretching my budget then I would be more then happy.

thx again. :)

Last edited:
I have an Epson 5650 at my home. I got it in 2018. Still going strong on its original bulb. But I work at a different place. I project on a matte grey wall with a little to no ambient light. Happy with the result. I am planning to get a projector to our apartment. But haven't been able to pull the trigger yet.

Regarding gain, 1.1 gain is alright. Elite screens are good. If you're fine with DIY route, you can opt for a white over black spandex screen. Since those are acoustically transparent, you can keep yours LCR speakers behind them, too. Results will be rewarding.

Setup will look much cleaner.

Check this link to get an idea https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-acoustic-transparent-screen.67092/

Regarding gain, 1.1 gain is alright. Elite screens are good. If you're fine with DIY route, you can opt for a white over black spandex screen. Since those are acoustically transparent, you can keep yours LCR speakers behind them, too. Results will be rewarding.
But for his room size this doesn't work out I believe. This will eat up some space.

Ohkay. . Distance is 10 ft between him and the wall. But he can go with a screen if he wishes to. I prefer matte grey wall over a screen in a dark room. It is not perfect, but practical. Since I use 5650, this is sufficient for me. The OP still hasn't finalized the projector.

No treatment can significantly boost the contrast if the projector isn't natively capable with high contrast projection. Not everyone can paint the whole room with black paint to eliminate reflections and to get the best picture possible. But if one can, then why not

And here i found this ..

It depends on the angle of view..
And not the distance from the screen..

Hi kindly see this link to Scotts tech and stuff review in you tube.
thank you for sharing this video, as i was watching it then i thought shouldn't i be watching comparison of 9400 aka epson 6050ub?
5050ub is older model.

thx for both links and I am glad you took your time and shared with us here.thats what forums are for helping others.
I know what you trying to say here as you must have also watched the video and that guy also said black levels are better with Epson and yes pixel clarity in green chameleon is better with benq.But like i said with 50k difference and i did mentioned before that black levels has always been an issue with me so i still prefer 9400 over HT5550.Pixel clarity is noticeable if viewing distance is close but black levels do worry me right away.
Unless i get better rate with HT5550 i am still working on how to get good price of 9400.
Thx again @Sivasathya

Seller is suggesting Viewsonic 10x ...and it's native resolution is 4k.I would like to know your views guys.Price almost same as 9400.

Seller is suggesting Viewsonic 10x ...and it's native resolution is 4k.I would like to know your views guys.Price almost same as 9400.
Very low throw distance. Will that suit you?

It is also DLP which has rainbow effect. This does not bother most people, me included.
But if it does, you will never be comfortable with it. Check out this or any other DLP projector to confirm.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back