Help me decide a home theatre system

kama

Hello Everybody,

I am from Bangalore. I want to buy a 5.1 home theatre system. My budget is very limited - around 40 - 50k. I am a novice in this field and i have no knowledge about which one to buy. It will be a great help if you can suggest me some good systems and also places where i can buy them. i have a Samsung Series 5 32" LCD TV and Philips DVD Player which can provide HDMI output. For regular TV viewing i have the set-top-box provided by the cable operator.
I will be using the home theatre mainly for movies and sometimes for music also. the room where i am going to install the system is about 250 sq ft big. The room is of odd shape, more like a trapezium with the tv being mounted on the widest wall.
Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Audition Onkyo 5100. Its good for movies.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Second this. At that budget its a very proficient unit and hard to beat in terms of 5.1 and the feature set it comes with. Not too good for music, but no home theater is.

A lot of people are recommending the Philips HTIBs over the Onkyo basic ones, I can testify that the Philips HTIB that my parents use (discontinued model) was a good deal for 20k INR in 2006.

Buying an Onkyo HTIB with an active sub will of course give you more flexibility to use the receiver in the future with better speakers. Onkyo stock speakers in their cheap units are rather poor.

A friend of mine got a combo (that I have mentioned before) from the Onkyo store in Chennai (should be available from Onkyo stores elsewhere), An Onkyo 506 AVR, Pure Acoustics Dream Nano 5-satellite package (much much better than the stock Onkyo speakers), an Onkyo 250W active sub and all cabling for 33k INR, that also gives him the opportunity of chucking the pure acoustics satellites and going for better speakers later. This might be a decent option at the budget end.

hello buddy

welcome to the forum...!!!
Have a nice stay here...

Buddy you have been suggested some HTiBs above...
no grudges with anyone, but i just want to ask you something...

Do you want a system that should just be a 5.1 look with amplifier, or you would like to consider something that performs as well...???

See i do agree what i am talking is will be a bit over from your budget, but, if you can wait for some long, and build your system over a time, so at the end you have something to be proud off...
If you are seriously looking in for something good, than consider these system,
Q Acoustics to be on top
Wharfedale to be second
and then others later...

Now, if you consider the complete 5.1 awarded package of q Acoustics, it costs Rs.55K MRP for now and a Denon-1509 AVR will cost you somewhere around 25K, so in total including cables and all you will be spending not more than Rs.85K MRP, roundup something Rs.80K...

Now, as you have Rs.50K to spend for now, then spend them like this
Get the AVR + Cables + Front Speakers + Sub to make it stereo + Sub
@ around 58K approx after discount, then a bit later, maybe 3-4 months down the lane, add a center @ Rs.11.75K and rear speakers @ Rs.11.75K to complete your 5.1 experience...atleast you will not be wasting your money on HTiBs...

Same kind of thing can be done with Wharfedale Diamond 8 speakers...

So give it a thought before spending on good for nothing setups...

hello buddy

Q Acoustics to be on top
Wharfedale to be second
and then others later...

Same kind of thing can be done with Wharfedale Diamond 8 speakers...

Which one would be better of the following
1. Wharfedale 9.2 + 9CM + 9DFS + SW250
2. Q Acoustics 5.1
3. Polk TSi 200 (FR) + CS20 (C) + OVM3 (SR) + PSW110 (sub)

They cost roughly the same. Will be used with an old AVR Yamaha RXV357.
Mostly movies and sometimes music. Also is the AVR good enough. Do not wish to change it.

Which one would be better of the following
1. Wharfedale 9.2 + 9CM + 9DFS + SW250
2. Q Acoustics 5.1
3. Polk TSi 200 (FR) + CS20 (C) + OVM3 (SR) + PSW110 (sub)

They cost roughly the same. Will be used with an old AVR Yamaha RXV357.
Mostly movies and sometimes music. Also is the AVR good enough. Do not wish to change it.

I have set up the Yamaha 663 with Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 and it sounds great. I've not used Wharfedales in a 5.1 setting, only 2-channel so cannot really compare. I've not heard the Polks. But I can assure you that with Yamaha 663 the Q Acoustics sound great.

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. I checked the Onkyo website and it says that 5100 is a 7.1 system. I don't know how much it will cost? Any idea which receiver they are giving with this system?

Also, any suggestions of the stores where i can audition these systems in bangalore will be very helpful.

@mridulgoel,
Thanks for the suggestions dude. I would love to have such a system, but, now sure if my family will allow me to invest so much on a home theatre. of course, building a system will be a good idea, but, i can think of getting a pair of bookshelf speakers sometime later...not in the near future though...

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies. I checked the Onkyo website and it says that 5100 is a 7.1 system. I don't know how much it will cost? Any idea which receiver they are giving with this system?

Also, any suggestions of the stores where i can audition these systems in bangalore will be very helpful.

Yes, Onkyo HTS 5100 is a 7.1 system with a 10" active SW. The receiver model is SR560 which i think sold along with the entire package only. The price for 5100 would be 39K at xcite blr. you can audition the same at Xcite bangalore.

the basic differenece is that 5100 is 7.1 channel and 5105 is 5.1 channel. (However, it will not make much difference as currently most of the discs comes with 5.1 tracks).

The receivers and speakers do differ in both cases. In 5100 you get bigger sized drivers than 5105. The driver size of SW in 5100 is 10" and 5105 has a 8" SW.

The total power per channel remains the same for both, i.e. 130 w/ch. Both has similar HDMI output and functions. more details are available in the following link.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

5100 comes in with an ipod dock which is a good feature I guess.

Thanks for the info anoopkzm...
I am not able to decide whether to go for Onkyo HTIB...or to buy a Onkyo receiver may be TX-SR606 and separate speakers...Please provide me suggestions on this...also, if there is any other better combination please let me know...i found that mrp of TX-SR606 is above 40k which makes it slightly above budget for me....however, if it is available at a lower price anywhere else, i might as well look at that option....

Thanks for the info anoopkzm...
I am not able to decide whether to go for Onkyo HTIB...or to buy a Onkyo receiver may be TX-SR606 and separate speakers...Please provide me suggestions on this...also, if there is any other better combination please let me know...i found that mrp of TX-SR606 is above 40k which makes it slightly above budget for me....however, if it is available at a lower price anywhere else, i might as well look at that option....

Separates are always better. The HTIBs are a consideration only for those with limited/fixed budgets. In HTIBs too go for the separates one like an Onkyo or a Yamaha instead of an integrated DVD/Amp combo.

don't buy onkyo 5100 its full of shit :mad:

i have one and very much disappointed it's ok within one month but after that speakers get distorted one by one and subs too got rattled

so i use it's receiver with my new polk speakers :clapping: very happy with them

also looking to buy seprate av receiver

and i have my mind set on marantz 6003 :cool:

Last edited:

i have one and very much disappointed it's ok within one month but after that speakers get distorted one by one and subs too got rattled

so i use it's receiver with my new polk speakers :clapping: very happy with them

I wonder how this happened for you. My friend is having this system for last 6 months and he does not have any issues.

BTW have you sorted out the distortion that you faced even with your Polk speakers?

I think the first negative feedback on 5100.

Manu: didn't u catch the neck of the sales person who delivered this system to you? I cannot think of a situation wherein you spent almost 40K for a HT and it becomes useless in a month!

May be its a problem with the settings in your receiver. I saw another thread from you telling that your Polk speaker is also disorting.

Thanks,
Prakash

hello friends

i have sorted out distortion with my polk speakers

i use good cables that's it

and as for onkyo 5100

it not only get distorted its centre channel speaker too blown

it's subwoofer starts to rattle when ever you increase volume above 50%

before 5100 i have sony htib

i don't know about you guys but i have very bad experience with htibs

that's why i chose separates

I think the first negative feedback on 5100.

Manu: didn't u catch the neck of the sales person who delivered this system to you? I cannot think of a situation wherein you spent almost 40K for a HT and it becomes useless in a month!

brother i'n from jalandhar city and here we don't have any service centre

and from where i bought it in jalandhar he said onkyo didn't have good service not for its dealers too . they are very bad even for their dealers he said me that

so what can i do i just tell him to sell this bullshit for me then he said wait for atleast one month and i pick it up by myself at half price so i made that decision bro

YOU KNOW 50% OF SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN 100% OF NOTHING :cool:

ACTUALLY MOST OF MY MONEY SPENT ON AV SYSTEMS,GAMES,SPEAKERS,SUBWOOFER ETC ETC.:clapping:

so what can i do i just tell him to sell this bullshit for me then he said wait for atleast one month and i pick it up by myself at half price so i made that decision bro

I find it difficult to read and understand your messages. But let me see if I got this right? You bought a Onkyo 5100 HTIB at 50%? If that is correct, then it is possible that you have been cheated and been given a used system, a faulty system, or a system that is not genuine. Many of these guys what they call refurbished systems. In other words, these are returned system that have some minimal repair done and sold off to a gullible buyer like me.

It is difficult to understand how a 30 day old system can rattle and distort. Unless of course, you are playing it at insane volumes. Then even brand new systems will distort.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back