Help me in buying a new subwoofer for my 5.1 setup

Sid11041984

Hi fellow forum mates,

I bought an all Yamaha 5.1 custom package last year, details are as follows

Mains - Yamaha NS 50F

Surround - Yamaha NS P150

Subwoofer - Yamaha YST SW315 (10 inch, 270W Dynamic)

I am attaching a photo of my living area where the system is installed. I am quite unhappy with the performance of my sub. One reason could be that the size of the living room is quite big and also its not really a conventional looking design for the room.. The overall room size(including the dining area) is around 20 ft x 24 ft with standard floor height..

My usage is 60/40 for music/movies.. The current sub is not deep enough.. and also doesnt give me the home theatre feel which I intended when I bought a home theatre worth 70K..

I did a little market research as well as some online research and got a few options here..

1. BIC America V 1220(12 inch, 200W continuos RMS, goes down to about 23HZ). Retails for around 38K on zansaar

2. Polk Audio DSW 660wi (12 inch, 400W continuos RMS, goes down to about 25 HZ +/-3db as well as 20 HZ) retails for around 44K on grabmore.in

Can you guys give me a comparision between two and which one would be more suitable to my room dimensions and which one will go deeper and heavier..

Thanks in advance

970533_10151646035547277_1227541104_n.jpg

971188_10151646034952277_20808223_n.jpg

Want to add two more subwoofers in the list

Paradigm DSP 3200

MJ Acoustics Reference series(Not sure they are worth considering the size of their subs)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Before buying any SW u mentioned , are you satisfied with your current FS and BS ?.If not means it has no use of getting a high performance sub.It is better for you to demo gud FS and BS and then decide the SW.You have variety of options Whaferdales,Polks,KEF,Sonodynes etc. For Speakers yamaha is not good at all imo.If you are movie freak and music listner plz take audition of Polk tsx 330,440 and for BS tsx 110 and center tsx 150 it will be mind blowing.You wont need sub at all.For Budget and vfm take audition of sonodynes if you like it.For more higher budgets Whaferdales and KEF are there.

Definitely the subwoofer is not placed at correct location. I can see the Subwoofer enclosure is covered by the left tower speaker. You should move the right speaker to TV side and then try to place Sub after the right speaker with appropriate gap/space. This subwoofer has a pyramid in the bottom which spreads the sound to all sides, but as per you placement it is almost covered from 2 sides.

You have a very tricky space to fill. For your kind of space ideally you should get more than one room. I doubt very much even after getting one of these subs you would be able to fill your space with enough boom and thud.

Two solutions. One, get one more of the same Yamaha sub that you have. But this will only work if you will be able to hookup both the subs. For that either your AVR should have two sub-outs or you need to have some alternative arrangement.

Second solution would be to get a really powerful sub and place it near your sofa. Most important part will be to figure out where to place your sub. The place where you have it now is definitely not the place.

Before buying a new sub try moving your current sub to space between the sofa and the table and see if that helps. Then you can buy one more of the same sub.

You have a very tricky space to fill. For your kind of space ideally you should get more than one room. I doubt very much even after getting one of these subs you would be able to fill your space with enough boom and thud.

Two solutions. One, get one more of the same Yamaha sub that you have. But this will only work if you will be able to hookup both the subs. For that either your AVR should have two sub-outs or you need to have some alternative arrangement.

Second solution would be to get a really powerful sub and place it near your sofa. Most important part will be to figure out where to place your sub. The place where you have it now is definitely not the place.

Before buying a new sub try moving your current sub to space between the sofa and the table and see if that helps. Then you can buy one more of the same sub.
Rajneetrain.. will buying a new sub make sense because I need lower frequency sounds which this sub is unable to produce and should also have more wattage.. I can buy one more sub or get a new powerful sub by selling this one off at the same price.

Definitely the subwoofer is not placed at correct location. I can see the Subwoofer enclosure is covered by the left tower speaker. You should move the right speaker to TV side and then try to place Sub after the right speaker with appropriate gap/space. This subwoofer has a pyramid in the bottom which spreads the sound to all sides, but as per you placement it is almost covered from 2 sides.
prepress.. I tried to put the subwoofer where you asked me to.. But my living room is in a L shape so now the subwoofer is covered from only one side that is where my right Front tower speaker is.. But I didnt fidn much of a difference.. the only difference now is that the sound output from the sub is more flat.. But still no low deep bass

Before buying any SW u mentioned , are you satisfied with your current FS and BS ?.If not means it has no use of getting a high performance sub.It is better for you to demo gud FS and BS and then decide the SW.You have variety of options Whaferdales,Polks,KEF,Sonodynes etc. For Speakers yamaha is not good at all imo.If you are movie freak and music listner plz take audition of Polk tsx 330,440 and for BS tsx 110 and center tsx 150 it will be mind blowing.You wont need sub at all.For Budget and vfm take audition of sonodynes if you like it.For more higher budgets Whaferdales and KEF are there.
But I guess the sub is the one that generates those low frequency thuds and explosions and not the mains or centre.. they can just compliment the sub ofcourse.. But I checked the Polk audio towers.. They had the same kind of sound output as my Yamaha mains, in regards of frequency and wattage.. I know my surround speakers are a bit feeble considering the front and sub

Rajneetrain.. will buying a new sub make sense because I need lower frequency sounds which this sub is unable to produce and should also have more wattage.. I can buy one more sub or get a new powerful sub by selling this one off at the same price.

Buying two subs will be more beneficial in your case because your space is not one closed rectangular area. Any one sub, no matter how powerful, will not be able to provide you a uniform low-end grunt.

It is quite possible that your current sub is generating some low end but it's negligible in your space. Adding another sub of same type will reinforce the low end and you should be able to feel it. Besides, it won't change the tonal balance of your setup and will be easy to manage.

Replacing the sub with a more powerful sub will keep things simple but it might still leave you with certain dissatisfactions that you will discover later.

In case you want one very powerful sub my recommendation would be Velodyne, SVS, HSU. There is another powerful sub available at reasonable price in India is a JBL sub with 10 inch woofer (can't recall exact model right now).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back