• Intel Core i5 750
  • MSI P55 GD-65
  • Seagate 500GB (Internal)
  • WD Green 1TB (Internal)
  • 512MB 9600GT Graphics card
  • Samsung 21.5" LCD Monitor
  • Altec Lansing VS2421 2.1 Speakers
  • ADSL Modem

Bare minimum backup time should be 5 mins.

According to the UPS calculator on APC.com, 650VA should be the minimum UPS for me, currently have a 500 VA APC, not even 1min backup sometimes even less, maybe battery's dying, I dunno.

Anyways, what do you guys think ?
Is 650VA good enough considering minor future upgrades (an external drive or a new graphics card) ?

I was thinking about going for 1 KVA.

Regarding the brands, does anyone know how come other brands such as Intex or Beetel have a 1KVA UPS at 2-3 times less cost than APC ?

Is it worth paying more for APC ?

What about other brands such as iBall (1 KVA at ~3500), Numeric (around ~4000) ?

BTW, Numeric has 1 yr onsite warranty whereas APC has 2.

Thanks.

I am not sure of iBALL, however APC is good for PC application (and PC application only). For other applications like taking sine wave or ramp based humming free backup power, Microtek and likewise are better. However switchover time is more on Microtek and if you get less than 1kVA model, it may reboot the PC if the power supply doesn't hold the power during the switchover. Also, most of the other UPS's do not have the sophisticated PC interface to monitor power and trigger automatic shutdown during low battery like what APC Back UPSs typically do.

The internal battery on the APC models usually cost around Rs 600 to replace.
I have a APC 1 KVA and it comes with 2 batteries. APC has a provision of adding an external battery pack which comes with 4 batteries. But the life of the dry batteries aren't that great. Also if you can get hands on a pure sine that would be good.

I don't think they are dry, but the acid is in gel form which cannot leak, even if the battery case is damaged.

I have read of people using substitute batteries (even getting higher capacity) in APC units. Of course, this should not be done if the unit is in warranty, but, if that is the case, then APC should replace anyway. I had a good experience of this: APC replaced my BACKUPS-1500+external battery pack just before expiry of 2-yr warranty. My not-so-good experience is that, under the conditions here, two years seems to be the battery life.

@rydraj

As per the configuration that you have given, your PC would consume around 350-400 watts under max load, say under intensive gamming and if you want to have a bare minimum backup time of 5 minutes, then go for an UPS that is rated for twice that wattage.

I would suggest you to go for APC anyday, till date my experiences with APC are very good, whether its UPS or inverter. If there is a fault, they just replace it, no questions asked. Its been the case with my friends too.

Just see if you experience power surges or low voltages often, in that case I would recommend you the SMART series from APC(almost twice the cost of BACK UPS), else normal BACK UPS would suffice.

I don't think you need an new APC UPS. You just have to replace your ups battery with an APC orriginal battery. Call APC customer care and they will come to your home to replace the battery.

I don't think you need an new APC UPS. You just have to replace your ups battery with an APC orriginal battery. Call APC customer care and they will come to your home to replace the battery.

I thought of that but 500VA is too less for my configuration, don't you think ? :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back