Help me to choose between these MEGA MONSTERS!!!

good investment :)

btw, aren't 2 channels in 9.x setup height channels? were the FS wall mounted for height channels?

In 9-channel/ 11-channel stereo mode, Yamaha's DSP engine processes the stereo signal from optical/ coaxial/ analog inputs and sends it to nine/ eleven channels.

I simply fell in love with the 9-channel & 11-channel stereo modes of Z-9 & Z-11. So musical!!!

He is moving out of India next week and prior said the speaker placements will not be perfect.

All the FS was on the floor. We are taking music here not movies. For movies you are right.

Last edited:
In 9-channel stereo mode with Z-9s big volume knob turned all the way up to 80% in a two thousand sqft hall produced a magnanimous feeling in my heart. It can be best described as being repeatedly swept away by a succession of gigantic tidal waves created by those nine bare-chested M80 floorstanders containing endless reserves of crystal clear water.

Also the TRUE concert feeling was really TRUE, I was hearing less after an hour of ultra high SPL exposure and came back to normal hearing levels after 15-20 mins!!!

:lol: .... 2000 sq ft hall versus a most likely <200 sq ft room :rolleyes: Man, you house/apartment would come crashing down + be ready to hear muted abuses from your neighbours!

NINE Axiom FSs ... whoz this guy? You ain't disclosing it! Some Birla, Goenka, Kedia, Somany, Sekhsaria likes .....? Only Marus have this kinda dough in Kolkata ... :sad:

NINE Axiom FSs ... whoz this guy? You ain't disclosing it!

I knew this is going to come, sooner or later naturally, and I asked him if I can introduce his name in this forum, the answer was a strict NO.

The thing is mere fellows like me always scrap guys like him, so they want to stay anonymous. My DSP-A2070 previous owner is a crorepati, so you can understand who is friend is going to be in terms of financial status at least.

These guys do not stay in Kolkata, they have a home is Kolkata just like they do in Mumbai & Delhi.

Please forgive me. I must not loose his trust.

Last edited:
You confirmed 'him' to be a Maru by saying so ......

Should have 'pataoed' a Maru fem from Kolkata for marriage (to a Bong) ... pretty easy and acceptable, I am told! TOO LATE for that now :sad:. You remember and execute my suggestion ... I know you still are a bach!

Should have 'pataoed' a Maru fem from Kolkata for marriage (to a Bong) ... pretty easy and acceptable, I am told!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TOO LATE for that now :sad:. You remember and execute my suggestion ... I know you still are a bach!

Bad news guys, got married this February, so no chance to 'patao' a Maru fem from my side.

Wife Acceptancy Factor(WAF) : DSP-Z9 confuses my wife, she does not touch it. [actually a strength I suppose ;)]

Last edited:
Hello Rishiguru

I just saw this thread today. Congrats for the great purchase.

Being in kolkata I could have joined u in the audition - to hear these great gears .

Cheers

.... 2000 sq ft hall versus a most likely <200 sq ft room. Man, you house/apartment would come crashing down

I know i have bought a Japanese Dragon for my Indian Cuckoo nest.

But i feel so proud when my dragon gives a throaty roar and all people walking down the street starts looking upward towards our windows and then collides with the nearest tree.:D

Last edited:
Wher da ya stay in Kolkata? Like to have a look ... whence in Kolkata next. I put up at Ganguly Bagan, near Goria ..... nearby?

BTW, do not forget to add a 4 kva stabilizer with the demon ... should cost you @ 3K max. Dunno how could this RBT give a roar with your 'puny, insignificant, miniscule' Sonys. Sonys ... right?

Dunno how could this RBT give a roar with your 'puny, insignificant, miniscule' Sonys. Sonys ... right?

Right now the DSP-Z-9 is connected to the following speaker configuration.

1) Fronts : A pair of Sony SS-GN88D
Speaker System: 3-way, 4-units, bass-reflex type (magnetically shielded)

bocinasdestereosonygene.jpg

Speaker Units:
Subwoofer : 8 inch X 1
Mid woofer : 3 inch X 2
Tweeter : 2 inch X 1

Rated Power : 150W per speaker
Nominal Impedance : 6 ohms
Dimension: 265 X 415 X 320 mm
Mass: 8.7 kg approx per speaker
Total Weight: 8.7 X 2 = 17.4 kg
--------------------------------------

2) Center : A pair of 8 ohms Sonys connected in parallel. Have to look at the model no.
--------------------------------------

3) Surrounds : Again a pair of Sony SS-GN88D
Speaker System: 3-way, 4-units, bass-reflex type (magnetically shielded)

bocinasdestereosonygene.jpg

Speaker Units:
Subwoofer : 8 inch X 1
Mid woofer : 3 inch X 2
Tweeter : 2 inch X 1

Rated Power : 150W per speaker
Dimension: 265 X 415 X 320 mm
Mass: 8.7 kg approx per speaker
Total Weight: 8.7 X 2 = 17.4 kg
-----------------------------------------

4) Surround Back : A pair of Sharp CP-C7000
Speaker Type: 4 way 4-speaker system

13047175321971775071sha.jpg

Rated input power (Total): 250W

Rated input power [right/ left speaker sets]: 250/2 = 125W

Impedance: 6 ohms

Main Speaker
Driver Unit: 1 way 1-speaker system

25 cm (10") woofer having polypropylene cone with rubber surround

Rated input power: 100W

Crossover Network: A crossover network is implemented. Most probably an inductor is used to block high frequencies.

Dimensions: Width: 330 mm (13"), Height: 330 mm (13"), Depth: 386 mm (15-3/8")

Weight: 8.8 kg/each

Sub Speaker :
Drivers: 3-way 3-speaker system

1 X 10 cm (4") midrange having paper cone with cloth surround,
1 X 10 cm (4") tweeter having paper cone
1 X super tweeter

Rated input power: 25W

Crossover Network: A crossover network is implemented. Capacitors are used to block low frequencies to both midrange, tweeter & super tweeters.

Dimensions: Width: 330 mm (13"), Height: 135 mm (5-5/16"), Depth: 306 mm (12-1/4")

Weight: 3.8 kg/each

Total Weight for each left/ right speaker sets: 8.8 + 3.8 = 12.6 kg
Total Weight: 12.6 X 2 = 25.2 kg
--------------------------------------------

5) Presence : A pair of Aiwa SX-FNS505 bookshelves.

13110996552147170609apa.jpg

Speaker Units:
Subwoofer : 6.5 inch X 1
Mid woofer : 3 inch X 1
Tweeter : 1 inch X 1

Rated Power : 40W per speaker
Dimension: 250 X 324 X 275 mm
Mass: 3.9 kg approx per speaker
Total Weight: 3.9 X 2 = 7.8 kg
-----------------------------------

I know all these speakers are crap compared to audiophile grade ones, but right now I am severly short of budget & will require a year or two to save money and buy really good ones.

Last edited:
The dust cap of you aiwa speaker has crumpled. As easy way of getting it right is to use a vaccuum cleaner at low setting to suck it back in place.

You have used 2 6 ohm speakers in parallel which will decrease the nominal impedance to 3 ohms and overload amplifiers. Using in series would be better as you have lots of wattage at hand.

You have used 2 6 ohm speakers in parallel which will decrease the nominal impedance to 3 ohms and overload amplifiers. Using in series would be better as you have lots of wattage at hand.

Are you taking about the Sharp's, coz they come in this config & their total nominal impedence is 6 ohms.

For the center channel two 8 ohms Sony's are used in parallel.

Last edited:
But if AVR doesn't have HD audio decoding, you would need multichannel analog inputs, and you can they use only one source.

HD audio decoding is the only feature missing from the DSP-Z9's list. But I cannot help it, I tried to think a lot logically a go for Z-11 but I was not able to control my heart, Z-9 is so superior to Z-11 in stereo you can actually hear & feel the difference in texture & soundstage.

In multi-channel 7.1 formats also Z-9 is simply superior, hands down.

I watched Transformers: Dark of the Moon DVD intensely in both for nearly an hour. Both of them effortlessly up-converted 480p DVD resolution to 1080i in case of Z-9 & 1080p for Z-11. I virtually could not find any difference in picture quality between Z9s & Z-11, both provided smooth and flowing videos even in highly dense action scenes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

YAMAHA DSP-Z9: DEVELOPER'S STORY

One has to understand that Yamaha DSP-Z9 happens to be the masterpiece of the legendary engineer Mr Izumi Ozeki who for the past quarter of a century was responsible for designing & developing Yamahas top of the line A/V amplifiers like DSP-A1000, DSP-A2070, DSP-A3090, DSP-A1, DSP-Z1 & DSP-Z7 and winning endless awards for his creations in this process.

Yamaha DSP-Z9

Front

dspz9front.jpg

Inside

dspz9overviewfront.jpg

dspz9inttg.jpg

As said by Mr Ozeki himself Z-9 is Ozeki, since it represents what he had learnt for the past quarter of a century designing & developing TOTL A/V amps for Yamaha. For his masterpiece he did not want to have an evolution of his last model (DSP-Z1) which are generally followed by every AVR manufacturer in order to save development cost, and went on desigining & developing the Z-9 from scratch from a completely new ballpark using top notch & selective electrical/ electronic components for never seen before A/V amplifier performance.

His hard work was justfully rewarded by EISA in 2004, the most respected consumer electronic awarding association in the world, when DSP-Z9 won the best high end home theater system award.

With this model in 2004, Yamaha jumped to a whole new segment created by Denon in the A/V amplifier segment and burned a $4,500 black hole in its owners pocket costing two times that of its predecessor DSP-Z1 & weighing 30 kilos. This segment is born with just one motive, to provide better performance than separates two times its cost and then challange ones three times its cost.

DSP-Z9 was so good that Denon had to design & develop a new HULK of a monster A/V amplifier from scratch, just like Yamaha did for its DSP Z-9. The result was the DENON AVC-A1XV also known as AVR-5805 in USA, released in 2006 costing a whooping $6,000 and thankfully ending all wars between A/V manufactures. This time it was just insane.

Denon AVC-A1XV

Front

sideonlrgupload.jpg

Back

rearlrgupload.jpg

Inside

open3lrgupload.jpg

Mr Ozeki handpicked one of his brilliant young engineers Mr Masaya Kano for the Z-9 project, who later went on designing the Z-11 when Mr Ozeki retired from development and concentrated on overall management.

In 2008 when Mr Kano's Z-11 was released it did now win the best high end home theater award from EISA, but Denon AVC-A1HD won it.

In the end with all due respect,

Masaya Kano IS NOT Izumi Ozeki

and

Izumi Ozeki is 10X TIMES Masaya Kano

From Left to Right: Mr Izumi Ozeki, Mr Masaya Kano & Mr Noriyuki Ohashi

18405211.jpg

Last edited:
You made the right decision the newer audio formats are available only on blurays. So you can later on add a bluray player with analog 7.1 outputs and use the same with this AVR. I have done so with the panasonic bd60 for the newer formats.

Yamaha DSP-Z9 allows bi-wired connections for the front channels. Speaker A of the front can be sent to say the woofer while the Speaker B of front channel can be send to midrange+tweeter.

Does bi-wiring a speaker system dramatically improves performance? If so, I will start looking for floorstanders which can be bi-wired.

Thanks in advance!!!

Bump...

Any help regarding the front floorstanders for my Z9? I really do have very little knowledge regarding loudspeakers and need help from the respected members.

In a years time I envision to have quality floorstanders which can produce plently of bass in between 20~60Hz without upsetting the overall balance in dynamics. I admit I am a BASS lover.

Music is my first preference followed by movies.

My budget can stretch upto 1.2 lakh max for the floorstanders having a minmum 400 watts rated power handling capacity for a pair. 600 watts will be even better since my Z-9 does 290 + 290 watts @ 4 ohms continious in stereo.

I will also prefer ones having nominal 4 or 6 ohm impedence.

Help please.

Last edited:
rishi,

since you will gather your funds after a year, likewise we will suggest you speakers for your monster after your wallet is loaded (after 1 year as per your admission) :lol:

Also by then some new speaker models will be launched so no point in wasting time (ours & yours right now) :p

Jokes apart:
Also look at DIY as 1) you have skill of doing things by yourself, 2) will give you immense satisfaction of creating them, 3) achieve something far more desireable & as per your liking, 4) entertain us with your thread on making the speakers, 5) match speakers to your monsters specs.

Do give it a serious thought.

rishi,

since you will gather your funds after a year, likewise we will suggest you speakers for your monster after your wallet is loaded (after 1 year as per your admission) :lol:

Also by then some new speaker models will be launched so no point in wasting time (ours & yours right now) :p

I thought to start auditioning from now, say once each month, since this Z-9 is hell heavy, it will take a lot effort to take it each dealer(say profx) and start audition.

Also I want to stay off absolutely new models since in India they are absurdly priced.

Also look at DIY as

1) you have skill of doing things by yourself
2) will give you immense satisfaction of creating them
3) achieve something far more desireable & as per your liking
4) entertain us with your thread on making the speakers
5) match speakers to your monsters specs.

Do give it a serious thought.

Those DIY bachelor days of having immense time after office hours are long gone.;)

I am trying to do a technical analysis, but man Z-9 is hell complex.:D

The quality of hardware used is just exotic. Nichicon Gold Tune caps everywhere, exotic power transformer, exotic power transistor configuration, exotic DAC's man....:yahoo:

Anyway, here is a inside shot of my Yamaha DSP-Z9:

mydspz91.jpg

No made in Malaysia/ Indonesia here, just MADE IN JAPAN:

mydspz92.jpg

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back