Help me to upgrade my music system

sand64

Hi friends...

I am from Lucknow and having a old music system from BPL (model No.D-1000 with a pair of 4-way floorstander) which I purchased way back in 1998. The system consist of two parts... a cd player/tuner section and a cassette deck/amp. section and both connected through dedicated cable.

Anyone knowing about this BPL system may suggest If I should discard my existing system or should I upgrade it. My sytem is ok but i feel that whenever I go beyond half the volume levels, vocals become a bit muddy and speakers start booming. I am not sure what cause this distortion, it may be amplifier or speakers? What does it indicate.... powerful amp & weak speakers ???? I dont know rms power of my amp as I lost the mannual and my speakers are two floorstandars (4-way with two 20 cm drivers). Speaker mannual suggest max power hadling capacity of 150 rms a pair.

As money is a constraint, I want to build my system slowly in bits & pieces...
So tell me which part I should discard and which to retain first..

Also my amp has a aux out for subwoofer. So should i try adding a active sub?

Will be greatful for suggestions

thanks & regards

i'm not that much knowledgeable guy but you must buy first good floorstanders in 2.0

what's your budget though

and about connected subwoofer from aux i don't think you can connect active sub from that i'm not sure maybe some other guy can clear that

Have you not posted the same question in another thread a few days ago?

Your system could be distorting because of age of the amplifier and/or the speakers. If you can contact BPL, see if they will service the amp for you. It is possible the main capacitor is worn out and is not able to supply the requisite power when you increase the volume beyond a certain limit.

You could also trying replacing the cables connecting the speakers to the amp. They could be corroded. One thing you could do if snip off the cables at both ends, cut the shielding to half an inch again at both ends, so that new copper is shown. Connect the speakers and the amp using the new ends of the speaker cables. See if this improves the sound a bit.

If you are going to cannibalize anything, I would suggest you purchase a new two channel amplifier, and find ways of connecting the BPL's tape and CD drive to it.

In terms of sub woofer, you cannot connect the Aux Out to a sub unless it is meant specifically to be used as a LFE out. A better method will be to get a sub with R&L In and R&L Out, connect the stereo speaker out from the amp to the sub, and the R&L speakers to the sub's R&L Out. That way you are sending all signals to the sub which will retain low frequencies with itself, and send the balance to the R&L speakers.

Cheers

Hi friends...

I am from Lucknow and having a old music system from BPL (model No.D-1000 with a pair of 4-way floorstander) which I purchased way back in 1998. The system consist of two parts... a cd player/tuner section and a cassette deck/amp. section and both connected through dedicated cable.

Anyone knowing about this BPL system may suggest If I should discard my existing system or should I upgrade it. My sytem is ok but i feel that whenever I go beyond half the volume levels, vocals become a bit muddy and speakers start booming. I am not sure what cause this distortion, it may be amplifier or speakers? What does it indicate.... powerful amp & weak speakers ???? I dont know rms power of my amp as I lost the mannual and my speakers are two floorstandars (4-way with two 20 cm drivers). Speaker mannual suggest max power hadling capacity of 150 rms a pair.

As money is a constraint, I want to build my system slowly in bits & pieces...
So tell me which part I should discard and which to retain first..

Will be greatful for suggestions

thanks & regards

Hi,

Why dont you try and disable the "loudness" control and set the control position to "OFF". Along with Bass/Treble or equalizers music systems did have yet another control called "loudness" which boosts the bass and treble so that the tracks are audible even at low volumes.

However, playing beyond a certain volume level would yield distortion.

Finally, if you've not been playing the tapes for sometime, the audio head could require cleaning as the unused tapes might have gathered fungus or the magnetic layer coming off and getting on the heads.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back