Help me with a good stereo set up for vinyl

tek

Hey Guys

I have posted around in a few different threads, but I wanted to consolidate something here instead.

I am looking for a good, new stereo set up to get the best out of my vinyl. I have 2 pretty good TT's, a Rega P3-24 and Lenco L70. My current set up is a Sansui Au222 (with many issues) and B&O Beovox S75 speakers (very old and i think has a shot tweeter). I also have 2 of Sachu's DIY phono stages, but an amp with in build phono is always nice as well.

I decided I want to go in for something new, as opposed to vintage since I have bad luck and I want to see if i can get some good modern equipment for a decent price. I have narrowed to the following (yet to audition):

Amps:
1) Marantz PM5004 + CD5004 Combo
2) Marantz PM6004
3) Analog Acoustic - MAX 150
4) CA Azur 350a

Speakers
1) Wharfedale Diamond 10.4
2) Wharfedale Diamond 9.5
3) Mission M34i

My total budget should not exceed 60-70k. If I can get a CD player within that price along with amp and speakers, then cool, but CD player is not a priority (though it would be nice if available in the budget)

Can you guys recommend what would be the best set up for me? My room is medium sized, I would say 15x10 ft. If I can narrow it down, it will make auditioning easier.

Another question, will any of these amps be a huge step down from my current set up of Sansui Au222 with B75s?

Thanks guys!

I will close my eyes and buy the following combination

Rega RP1 + Brio-R AMP (it has built in phono, with is excellent for RP1)+ Rega RS1 speakers. This will fall in your budget and it will be very very hard to beat.

You could buy all the above from Hifimart

Cheers,
Sunder.

I will close my eyes and buy the following combination

Rega RP1 + Brio-R AMP (it has built in phono, with is excellent for RP1)+ Rega RS1 speakers. This will fall in your budget and it will be very very hard to beat.

You could buy all the above from Hifimart

Cheers,
Sunder.

Hi Sunder,
He is already having Rega RP3 and Lenco L75 both TTs are superior than RP1.

Regards,
Sachin

Yeah, I don't need another TT :p

The Rega is above 40k, I am trying to see whether the Marantz would be a good alternative, and if so is there a huge diff between PM5004 or PM6004, since the 5004 + cd player sounds like a good combo.

Also, I really like the look of that Analog Acoustic amp I listed.. any feedback on the sound?

it might be a little out of your budget, you shall consider Lyrita harmony one speakers, with either the 2A3 or the new SET amp.
It is a fantastic system for music. It was my first choice, and I almost pulled trigger on it, but since I wanted a HT+music setup, I went for thiels, that had a matching center to offer.

Hey Guys

I have posted around in a few different threads, but I wanted to consolidate something here instead.

I am looking for a good, new stereo set up to get the best out of my vinyl. I have 2 pretty good TT's, a Rega P3-24 and Lenco L70. My current set up is a Sansui Au222 (with many issues) and B&O Beovox S75 speakers (very old and i think has a shot tweeter). I also have 2 of Sachu's DIY phono stages, but an amp with in build phono is always nice as well.

I decided I want to go in for something new, as opposed to vintage since I have bad luck and I want to see if i can get some good modern equipment for a decent price. I have narrowed to the following (yet to audition):

Amps:
2) Marantz PM6004
4) CA Azur 350a

Speakers
3) Mission M34i

My total budget should not exceed 60-70k. If I can get a CD player within that price along with amp and speakers, then cool, but CD player is not a priority (though it would be nice if available in the budget)

Can you guys recommend what would be the best set up for me? My room is medium sized, I would say 15x10 ft. If I can narrow it down, it will make auditioning easier.

Another question, will any of these amps be a huge step down from my current set up of Sansui Au222 with B75s?

Thanks guys!

not a HUGE step down... but at least a medium sized step down....

my suggestion is to get a good pair of speakers... there is a Dynaudio Bookshelf speaker on the forum for sale... in the for sale section... get that while it is still available...

then we search for a suitable amp...

the cdp comes last as of now... IMHO

Also, I really like the look of that Analog Acoustic amp I listed.. any feedback on the sound?

I have heard the Analog Acoustic Max 150 many times. It is a very decent amp, no doubt.

As someone else said, the Rega Bio-R may be an excellent option. If you go to the bottom of the product page in rega.co.uk, (home>products>amplifiers>brio-r), you will find a audition review by Tone-Audio, and they call it near reference level.

All you the need is a pair of good speakers such as Dynaudio, B&W, etc., and you will have a system you can be proud of for a long time. See if you can push your budget a bit.

Cheers

Have inquired if the Dynaudio speakers are still available. Will they be ok without a subwoofer? Will consider the Rega if I can get these speakers.. Like Manav said.. speakers first, then amp :)

edit: on further search, it seems these are great active speakers for monitoring, but how would they work as home listening speakers for vinyl?

Last edited:
Have inquired if the Dynaudio speakers are still available. Will they be ok without a subwoofer? Will consider the Rega if I can get these speakers.. Like Manav said.. speakers first, then amp :)

edit: on further search, it seems these are great active speakers for monitoring, but how would they work as home listening speakers for vinyl?

the ones on sale are not the active monitors... they are the passive ones. Once you get the speakers, you can simply drive around with them and check out many many amps...

there is another FM "jaibir", who has a brilliant Yamaha integrated amp - just 2-3 yrs old. has an excellent phono stage as well... the speakers from shubho and the amp from Jaibir might just fit into your budget.... (btw, Jaibir is very near where you live)....

The Dynaudio which is available for sale is not active. You will need amp. I have heard the active version. It's very good. It should do mid 50s, IIRC. And I think its rear firing, so budget some space between the speakers and front wall.

Hey Guys

Amps:
2) Marantz PM6004
4) CA Azur 350a

Speakers
3) Mission M34i

Thanks guys!

Hey have you considered Yamaha A-S500 ?

IF these speakers are no longer available, what's another good option in the 25-35k price? My preference would be floor standings. I think like Manav recommends, I'll get the speakers first and try it with my current amp and take it from there. Wharfedales?

tek... don't let those go. they are very very good. IMHO, they do most things well... they might not go down below 50hz on the low frequencies, but they do sound nice, neutral and full. most floorstanders at your price point might go down further on LF, but they will not sound as refined as this particular speaker.

If you really want the LF's as well, speak to FM Hari Iyer, he will build you a set of Transmission Line speakers that will beat the crap outta most commercially made spakers, including the Wharfies...

tek,
I have heard these speakers - they are neutral, clean and crisp speakers - a signature of studio monitors. Being small bookshelves, they will not go very low - but they will be way better than any floor stander you get at 30k or even double that amount. One thing you should remember though, these speakers are for near-field listening. If you have a large room, I would not know how they would sound from a 10 feet distance or more. For small rooms or for near-field listening, they should work well.

Regards.

I heard these speakers with a DIY 125 W amp at the previous owner's house. They are clean and crisp speakers. I liked them and suggested one of my friend to purchase the set. But he somehow took long time and by that time the speakers were sold.

In a small room they should satisfy you, if paired with a good moderate to high powered amp.

The Dyn BM6 is a brilliant speaker. It has outstanding resolution and to my ears sounds massively better than the Audience 52. I had heard this with a plinius 8150 and it was a match made in heaven.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have reserved the Dynaudio's. Should get them next week sometime hopefully! Now the hunt is on for a good amp and some speaker stands then I will be sorted :D

My listening distance is just around 10ft or slightly less, so I am hoping it's a good fit.

Thanks for the help!

My listening distance is just around 10ft or slightly less, so I am hoping it's a good fit.

tek,
I do not think these will sound their best at 10 feet distance. As I said before these speakers are made for near field listening, and in my rough estimation would sound their best when the listening distance is less than 7 ft or so from each speaker. If you have to listen from a 10 ft distance, please make sure that's okay. I may be wrong, but in my estimation that's a bit too much for these speakers (Please bear in mind, I am not talking about any design fault of these speakers. Being monitors, they are just built that way).

Regards.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back