Help me with my living room 7.1.4 set up

sweetvar26

Hey guys, I've been wanting to post on here for a while and I guess it is time for me to take a step and start a thread rather than discussing individually with members. My wife and I, we bought an apartment in Hyderabad recently and we will move in around April of 2019 and may be earlier if we are lucky. We decided mutually not to have a separate home theater.

So the end game is to set up a 7.2.4 system down the line in the living room, I know that it won't be as efficient as having a home theater but this is the best I can do. I'm initially going for a 7.1.4 set up and adding a sub down the line and upgrading the speakers/equipment if necessary. Here is the layout of the living room and also the speaker drawing that I've got on which there might be few changes.

Living room to dining.png

Here is the speaker drawing that I'm possibly going with. If necessary I can switch the surrounds all the way back to the bar counter area but not sure if it will work well. As you can see I'm not doing two couches from the above drawing, just one couch towards the TV wall on right and the bar counter on the far left wall.
Speakers set up
2 - Left and Right floorstanding
3 - Center channel
6 & 7 - Surrounds
5 & 8 - Atmos in ceiling speakers
4- Subwoofer but I might move it to the bottom right corner wall which I felt is a better position.

Living room speaker set up .png

First of all there are some constraints with the area. The entrance is from the foyer area, that stretch of walkway is 6 ft width past the living room area and it's length goes all the way towards the bedroom. The living room alone is 18ft in width and around 36ft in length. That gives an approximate 650 SqFt in area. The living room also openly expands into the dining area as seen in the drawing. Due to the aesthetics or the preferences by the wife, I can't have closing for the living room, so it will be open towards the dining area. We also have a bar area coming up behind the couch area and next to the entrance wall of the apartment(foyer).

Another hindrance are the surround speakers. I was looking at the Monitor Audio silver line and few others and the surrounds are fairly big in size. They will have to be ceiling hanging speakers and with the ceiling height being around 8 ft 6inches, I don't think it would be practical to have large surrounds hanging from the ceiling. So at least for a start, I want to limit the surrounds to something compact if I can.

With all this said, the target audience is the center of the cough or the cough area which is where I sit and also the only area I'm targeting. As for acoustics, I'm getting some insulation done in the ceiling and looking at other options for the subwoofer and going for some thick curtains. The flooring is marble and is already done so I haven't given a priority for it as of right now but I do want to go for engineered wood down the line just for the living room area all the way till the bar counter. Another downside is I can run the wiring through the flooring right now, so whatever speakers I set up would have to be through the ceiling.

Now let us go for the set up. I'm a movie and video games person more than music. I do listen to music but my movies & games:music will be around 75:25. So my focus is to go after a set up that will give me the better movie/gaming experience over music. I already have around 50 4K UHD movies and I can't stop buying them. Netflix and Prime are also watched a lot by my wife and I, though she doesn't care for Dolby Atmos/Vision. As for the equipment, I already own an Xbox One X(4K player), PS4 Pro, Amazon 4K stick but that is pretty useless now with the gaming systems that I have and a smart tv. Again due to personal reasons I decided to stick with a TV in the space and I've already purchased a 65 LG C8 OLED, I've been wanting to get an OLED for the last few years and decided it is time I go for it. I got a steal deal as well, at least from the pricing that I've been following over the years.

I've felt Atmost speakers aren't a priority right now, thought I'd invest for something better down the line. I did look into the RSL 34E ceiling speakers for Atmos but they weren't in stock during the blackfriday sale and my friend who gave an entire suitcase for me coming from abroad, I had to go for something cheaper but decent option through theMicca 8C ceilign speakers. They were much cheaper getting through America and no regrets even if they aren't up to the mark.

Receiver, I already bought the Marantz SR8012, their flagship model and this is going to continue all the way till the end of 2019.

As for the rest of the equipment, which would be a LCR, 4 surrounds and a subwoofer, my budget is around 2.5L-3L. I can stretch if necessary but I feel I should go for the best bang for the buck set up for now and then upgrade eventually, I'm 32, fairly young at least from what I consider and yeah plenty of time ahead. My wife or my sister might be going to America soon, so I can import the surrounds from there and obviously the pricing would be much better over there.

L, C and R, I'm completely undecided. I've been running in circles with the set up. Initially I wanted a full on Monitor Audio 7.1 set up and may be change the subwoofer to SVS PB 2000, but all of them keep changing due to the surrounds space constraints and with my interior works going on, budgets have changed as well.

LCR's I have to buy them in India, so I'm looking at something that are the best bang for the buck floor standings. Subwoofer as well and I've heard the Velodyne ones are pretty well priced in India. Surrounds, as of right now I'm looking at something compact and that will go with the LCR, budget isn't an issue for the surrounds as I can import them from America.

Keep in mind I do have at least few months, so no rush, getting something from America isn't a big deal unless they are way our of size like the L,R and subwoofer. Even the center I can import from America I believe but I will probably just purchase it here, these centers are too big to pack.

TLDR; Thank you for taking time in reading and yes, suggestions and help is very much appreciated. So LCR and a sub first and then compact surrounds(ceiling hanged) that go with the LCR.
V

Last edited:
Congrats on your Flat & AVR.. The room is very large, 600 sqft feels massive for a HT room..

Speakers set up

The front L/R is approx 16ft from your listening position.. I guess, you will need a power amp for your L-C-R atleast.. The rest of the speakers can be handled by AVR..

6 & 7 - Surrounds

If necessary I can switch the surrounds all the way back to the bar counter area but not sure if it will work well.

If you push the surr back to the wall at bar counter, then the distance from that speaker to your listening psoition will be the same as your front speakers.. So these speakers would need power amp..

I also see you have plan to hang them from ceiling..If that is too much of an effort, and the surr back being assignable, not sure if the AVR will support front heights, in addition to top front & rear.. Please check the manual and see the supported layout options..

4- Subwoofer but I might move it to the bottom right corner wall which I felt is a better position.

The sub would be too far from your listening position.. May be right behind your couch will be good IMO..

As for the rest of the equipment, which would be a LCR, 4 surrounds and a subwoofer, my budget is around 2.5L-3L

My wife or my sister might be going to America soon, so I can import the surrounds from there and obviously the pricing would be much better over there.

LCR's I have to buy them in India, so I'm looking at something that are the best bang for the buck floor standings. Subwoofer as well and I've heard the Velodyne ones are pretty well priced in India. Surrounds, as of right now I'm looking at something compact and that will go with the LCR, budget isn't an issue for the surrounds as I can import them from America.

Since you already have the AVR, and the budget is only for speakers & subwoofer, i think it is just fine, you can procure it here itself.. albeit with negotiations..

Congrats on your Flat & AVR.. The room is very large, 600 sqft feels massive for a HT room..

The front L/R is approx 16ft from your listening position.. I guess, you will need a power amp for your L-C-R atleast.. The rest of the speakers can be handled by AVR..

If you push the surr back to the wall at bar counter, then the distance from that speaker to your listening psoition will be the same as your front speakers.. So these speakers would need power amp..

I also see you have plan to hang them from ceiling..If that is too much of an effort, and the surr back being assignable, not sure if the AVR will support front heights, in addition to top front & rear.. Please check the manual and see the supported layout options..

The sub would be too far from your listening position.. May be right behind your couch will be good IMO..

Since you already have the AVR, and the budget is only for speakers & subwoofer, i think it is just fine, you can procure it here itself.. albeit with negotiations..

Yeah the seating position is about 12-14ft I would say because the set up will be about 1-2 ft from the wall. I will have to get an amp eventually but I'll try to run these on the AVR is possible initially unless I will blow the AVR. I'm taking help from one of my family's known associate with the set up who is good with these kind of things.

Surrounds all the way back is way too far I believe and I'd want to keep them closer and hanging from the ceiling is the best possible way as far as I can tell and my preferable option. Even the subwoofer, I'm starting off with one for now and will add one in a year or so depending on the requirement. In fact I have an old Mcintosh subwoofer sitting idle and I might just start off with that for now.

Like I said, LCR's are my concern right now and the compatible surrounds that are compact that can go with the LCR that I go ahead with.

Speaker recommendations for the LCR guys? Let’s start with that. What are the best bang for buck floor standing combinations?

Hey guys, I've been wanting to post on here for a while and I guess it is time for me to take a step and start a thread rather than discussing individually with members. My wife and I, we bought an apartment in Hyderabad recently and we will move in around April of 2019 and may be earlier if we are lucky. We decided mutually not to have a separate home theater.

So the end game is to set up a 7.2.4 system down the line in the living room, I know that it won't be as efficient as having a home theater but this is the best I can do. I'm initially going for a 7.1.4 set up and adding a sub down the line and upgrading the speakers/equipment if necessary. Here is the layout of the living room and also the speaker drawing that I've got on which there might be few changes.

View attachment 32268

Here is the speaker drawing that I'm possibly going with. If necessary I can switch the surrounds all the way back to the bar counter area but not sure if it will work well. As you can see I'm not doing two couches from the above drawing, just one couch towards the TV wall on right and the bar counter on the far left wall.
Speakers set up
3 - Center channel
6 & 7 - Surrounds
5 & 8 - Atmos in ceiling speakers

View attachment 32269

First of all there are some constraints with the area. The entrance is from the foyer area, that stretch of walkway is 6 ft width past the living room area and it's length goes all the way towards the bedroom. The living room alone is 18ft in width and around 36ft in length. That gives an approximate 650 SqFt in area. The living room also openly expands into the dining area as seen in the drawing. Due to the aesthetics or the preferences by the wife, I can't have closing for the living room, so it will be open towards the dining area. We also have a bar area coming up behind the couch area and next to the entrance wall of the apartment(foyer).

Another hindrance are the surround speakers. I was looking at the Monitor Audio silver line and few others and the surrounds are fairly big in size. They will have to be ceiling hanging speakers and with the ceiling height being around 8 ft 6inches, I don't think it would be practical to have large surrounds hanging from the ceiling. So at least for a start, I want to limit the surrounds to something compact if I can.

With all this said, the target audience is the center of the cough or the cough area which is where I sit and also the only area I'm targeting. As for acoustics, I'm getting some insulation done in the ceiling and looking at other options for the subwoofer and going for some thick curtains. The flooring is marble and is already done so I haven't given a priority for it as of right now but I do want to go for engineered wood down the line just for the living room area all the way till the bar counter. Another downside is I can run the wiring through the flooring right now, so whatever speakers I set up would have to be through the ceiling.

Now let us go for the set up. I'm a movie and video games person more than music. I do listen to music but my movies & games:music will be around 75:25. So my focus is to go after a set up that will give me the better movie/gaming experience over music. I already have around 50 4K UHD movies and I can't stop buying them. Netflix and Prime are also watched a lot by my wife and I, though she doesn't care for Dolby Atmos/Vision. As for the equipment, I already own an Xbox One X(4K player), PS4 Pro, Amazon 4K stick but that is pretty useless now with the gaming systems that I have and a smart tv. Again due to personal reasons I decided to stick with a TV in the space and I've already purchased a 65 LG C8 OLED, I've been wanting to get an OLED for the last few years and decided it is time I go for it. I got a steal deal as well, at least from the pricing that I've been following over the years.

I've felt Atmost speakers aren't a priority right now, thought I'd invest for something better down the line. I did look into the RSL 34E ceiling speakers for Atmos but they weren't in stock during the blackfriday sale and my friend who gave an entire suitcase for me coming from abroad, I had to go for something cheaper but decent option through theMicca 8C ceilign speakers. They were much cheaper getting through America and no regrets even if they aren't up to the mark.

Receiver, I already bought the Marantz SR8012, their flagship model and this is going to continue all the way till the end of 2019.

As for the rest of the equipment, which would be a LCR, 4 surrounds and a subwoofer, my budget is around 2.5L-3L. I can stretch if necessary but I feel I should go for the best bang for the buck set up for now and then upgrade eventually, I'm 32, fairly young at least from what I consider and yeah plenty of time ahead. My wife or my sister might be going to America soon, so I can import the surrounds from there and obviously the pricing would be much better over there.

L, C and R, I'm completely undecided. I've been running in circles with the set up. Initially I wanted a full on Monitor Audio 7.1 set up and may be change the subwoofer to SVS PB 2000, but all of them keep changing due to the surrounds space constraints and with my interior works going on, budgets have changed as well.

Keep in mind I do have at least few months, so no rush, getting something from America isn't a big deal unless they are way our of size like the L,R and subwoofer. Even the center I can import from America I believe but I will probably just purchase it here, these centers are too big to pack.

TLDR; Thank you for taking time in reading and yes, suggestions and help is very much appreciated. So LCR and a sub first and then compact surrounds(ceiling hanged) that go with the LCR.
V

Sorry, I did not read your entire post but looking at amount of content in your post, I could radically suggest that this does not need to be this complicated and would suggest that spend all your money on some big tower speakers (only two channel), pre and power amp combo and finally a decent DAC. And then connect them all with decent cabling. See, at the end, what your mind/senses needs is purity not sound coming from multiple directions.

This is my personal opinion and have no intent to be disrespectful to any/all HT enthusiasts.

Already invested in the set up buddy, with the Marantz 8012, 4 Atmos speakers and a sub. All I need now are the LCR’s. Not worried about the surrounds as much either.

Yeah the seating position is about 12-14ft I would say because the set up will be about 1-2 ft from the wall. I will have to get an amp eventually but I'll try to run these on the AVR is possible initially unless I will blow the AVR.

Sure the AVR should be able drive them, but may be not too loud..

Surrounds all the way back is way too far I believe and I'd want to keep them closer and hanging from the ceiling is the best possible way as far as I can tell and my preferable option.

If you hang the surround back from ceiling, the top rear ceiling speaker might be too close to it..

I think it is better to have the surround back on the wall behind you at probably ear level, or slightly higher.. This way the surr back & top rear would be spread apart by a few ft and should be distinct.. Anyways, you would know the limitation in the room better..

Like I said, LCR's are my concern right now and the compatible surrounds that are compact that can go with the LCR that I go ahead with.

If you prefer (or) have the option to mount the speakers to wall, then consider Taga Harmony LCR 60 SL speakers (13K for single speaker), not because they are LCR speakers, but because it would suit your needs.. They have the provision to wall mount both horizontally & vertically.. I would suggest to get 7 of them for L-C-R as well as surrounds and surr back too, making them identical bed speakers..

If you hang the surround back from ceiling, the top rear ceiling speaker might be too close to it..

I think it is better to have the surround back on the wall behind you at probably ear level, or slightly higher.. This way the surr back & top rear would be spread apart by a few ft and should be distinct.. Anyways, you would know the limitation in the room better..
If you prefer (or) have the option to mount the speakers to wall, then consider Taga Harmony LCR 60 SL speakers (13K for single speaker), not because they are LCR speakers, but because it would suit your needs.. They have the provision to wall mount both horizontally & vertically.. I would suggest to get 7 of them for L-C-R as well as surrounds and surr back too, making them identical bed speakers..

I’m still trying to fine tune the drawing for speaker placements. I don’t have an option of having the speakers on the wall because it isn’t closed on all 4 sides.

For the rear surrounds I’m thinking of definitive technology SR9040.

Just to give an update to this thread, I've completed with the entire set up. This was the equipment I went with.

65 LG C8 TV
Marantz 8012 receiver
McIntosh SL1 sub (15+ years old)
Definitive Technology BP9080x towers
Definitive Technology CS9080 center
Definitive Technology 2x SR9080 for surrounds
Definitive Technology 2x SR9040 for rear left and right
4x Micca 8 C for Atmos

However, I did have an issue with the amplifier of my sub and I think it just gave up. I don't think it is worth to get it fixed as the sub itself is quite old, not to mention the quality of the spares that we get here for the McIntosh. So I decided to replace my sub and I am looking for one at the moment. However, the powered towers do have Integrated 12” powered subwoofer and dual bass radiators. So the towers have been carrying the load and are doing a decent job as of right now.

The priority purchase would be the sub, leaning towards the Ryhtmik F18 but I am also looking into other options. I am taking my sweet time with it as the built in subs in the towers have been carrying the load.

Will keep the thread updated with some pictures.

Would be interesting to know how your setup is holding up in the big room:
1. Though big room is little gentle with waves.. they need too much of power to energize.
2. Did you flush mount Micca or in boxes?
3. What amp for LCR you went with?
4. 2 x PB3000 or 2 x PB2000 (one front and other rear) should give you sufficient low end.1 x Rythmik, though good, might not be sufficient enough for room as big as 600sqft.
5. Any room treatments done?
6. for 7.1.4 following is typical placement that you can use as template above your drawings.
1574924644546.png1574924797414.png
7. Keep an eye on corner , floor and side echos.
8. A false partition / thick curtain behind 8,6 speakers shall greatly help.

Hi,

Have you auditioned Klipsch RP8000 tower speakers?

Ramesh

Hey, yes I did audition the 8000s. In fact, these were on my list when I was looking for speakers along with Q Acoustics Concept 500 and couple of others.

As I was looking for a better home theater experience, with 70/30 - movies/music, I ended up going with the DefTechs.

Would be interesting to know how your setup is holding up in the big room:
1. Though big room is little gentle with waves.. they need too much of power to energize.
2. Did you flush mount Micca or in boxes?
3. What amp for LCR you went with?
4. 2 x PB3000 or 2 x PB2000 (one front and other rear) should give you sufficient low end.1 x Rythmik, though good, might not be sufficient enough for room as big as 600sqft.
5. Any room treatments done?
6. for 7.1.4 following is typical placement that you can use as template above your drawings.
View attachment 41536View attachment 41537
7. Keep an eye on corner , floor and side echos.
8. A false partition / thick curtain behind 8,6 speakers shall greatly help.

1. Absolutely. One thing is even the the room is big with multiple openings, the seating position is about 15ft from the speakers and from what I am using them, the receiver is doing a decent job in powering the towers. I also think that the DefTech 9080s are fairly easy to drive.

2. I did flush mount all 4 of the ceiling speakers.

3. As of right now, my Marantz 8012 is driving all 11 speakers. The higher output of 200w/channel is able to handle it but I do intend to get a separate amp for the LCR couple of years down the line. 4.

4. One thing to be noted is that the sub is going to be corner placed at the moment which should help with the output a little more than the usual. Also a second sub will be purchased, just not at the moment. I will have to make few changes near the equipment area to accommodate it.

5. Besides the usual couch and curtain fabrics, the entire ceiling has been stuffed with rock wool on the inside. All the ceiling hinges have been made with plywood, which should help with the rattles. Also the main living area ceiling has fabric on the outside and cushion on the inside. I also happened to create a fake pillar to hang the left surround speaker which is also stuffed with rock wool and so did the entire fake back wall near the bar area. Another minor thing is I've made a partition between the bar and the couch area with rotatable panels that has mirror on one side and fabric with cushion on the other which are pointed towards the living room. So yes, care has been taken without compromising on the aesthetics of the room.

6. That's the template provided by Dolby and I did position the speakers mostly according to that layout with minor changes. The rear surrounds are hing from the ceiling, so they got pushed back a little further to make sure that they are angled towards the couch.

I haven't been able to post pictures but I will soon. Thank you for the suggestions and I will be happy to answer any further questions.

Just to give an update to this thread, I've completed with the entire set up. This was the equipment I went with.

65 LG C8 TV
Marantz 8012 receiver
McIntosh SL1 sub (15+ years old)
Definitive Technology BP9080x towers
Definitive Technology CS9080 center
Definitive Technology 2x SR9080 for surrounds
Definitive Technology 2x SR9040 for rear left and right
4x Micca 8 C for Atmos

Those def techs are certainly a very good choice! May I know how you procured them and the cost for the same?

So I decided to replace my sub and I am looking for one at the moment

Go with dual subs (min 15" drivers) and try to place them on opposite corners of your room.

If you can afford the F18, see if you can buy 2 F15 of Rhythmik's as they would serve you better to even out the bass response.

Those def techs are certainly a very good choice! May I know how you procured them and the cost for the same?

Go with dual subs (min 15" drivers) and try to place them on opposite corners of your room.

Here -

Definitive Technology BP9080x towers in Hyderabad for about 3.25L
Definitive Technology CS9080 center - $800 + tax at Best Buy, I did a price match from Abt electronics, usually it's $1000
Definitive Technology 2x SR9080 for surrounds - $560 + tax each for both
Definitive Technology 2x SR9040 for rear left and right = $375 + tax for both
4x Micca 8 C = $160 + tax for all 4

So the American purchases that includes the center + 4 surrounds + 4 ceiling speakers = $1895 + tax. Taxes were about 8%-9% depending on where I've shipped them to in America. So even with taxes included, roughly $2100. With today's conversion in Indian rupees, that's around 1.5L. So all the 11 speakers costed me about 4.75L in Indian currency.

I just checked the Indian prices of the DefTechs, center = 1.07L, SR9080 = 75k. SR9040 = 56k.

Speakers or any A/V equipment in India are very expensive. I just checked the Indian prices of the DefTechs, center = 1.07L, SR9080 = 75k, SR9040 = 56k. Luckily I've had friends and family who were traveling from America to India over the past year and they were kind enough to accommodate these things for me. I've been piling them up for more than a year, one by one. I knew I don't need an expensive pair for the Atmos, so I went with something cheap and yet they are good speakers. I've narrowed down on the DefTechs for the better movie experience and once I did that, it was just a matter of purchase and who is going to bring them here.

If you can afford the F18, see if you can buy 2 F15 of Rhythmik's as they would serve you better to even out the bass response.

Yes, I could go for the dual F15 but I can't place a second sub at the moment, have to make some changes near the A/V area. As for placing it in another corner, I don't have space for the sub exactly as I have a bar area in the corner. Only place where I could set it if not the A/V area would be right behind the couch and that would need wire running on the marble floor which won't be approved by my wife ;)

Plan is to make changes to the tv cabinet/counter area, and accommodate the second sub right next to the left tower. So that will be two subs on either sides of the A/V area. Since we just moved into the house, I don't want to make changes or adjustments to the furniture, so couple of years of wait for the second sub.

As of now the Rythmik F18 quote I have gotten is at 1.9L. Trying to see my other options at that price range.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back