HELP! MY ROTEL CDP Power Supply Burned out!

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi all!
It was sad day for me yesterday... I had sourced and finally imported a Rotel RCD 991 with great pains, from the US. It works on 120V power and I was using it with a step down transformer.

Someone (I suspect, my servant) changed the setting on the Step down transformer and the transformer burned out, on switching it on.

When I bought another trans former, I find the CDP does not power up even with the brand new transformer.

Now who do I got to for repairs? I'm in Mumbai, but absoloutely clueless....

HAAAAAALLLLLP...

Hi Malvai
When I bought another trans former, I find the CDP does not power up even with the brand new transformer.
Is this new transformer same as the previous one ?
Now who do I got to for repairs?
If its not in warranty, it wouldn't hurt if you just take a look inside. Problem may be a simple one like a blown fuse or something. I can see fuse on the left side under plastic covering.
Regards
Hiten

Last edited:
I would guess (and Hope) that its the Fuse which is gone. since this is anyway not a warranty you could try to open and check the fuse. if that is the case, the problem could be as simple as replacing the fuse.

If it is the Power supply that is gone then you will need to get it done via any qualified electrician...if possible better to buy the components to be changed yourself from any place selling DIY components

if the image posted by hitensitapara is of your model..then an electrician just might be able to convert this into a 230V model...no transformer required then ... I presume that is what is the 100V, 120V, 230 V markings in the middle left edge.

if the image posted by hitensitapara is of your model..
Hi
Google's Image search with the same model no. gave me this image. I guess it is the same model. Not sure, because besides the pics language was not in english. :)
Hiten

Rotel Equipments are wonderful. Try to check the fuse which may be blown or else contact the importer for Rotel India.Getting proper service in India is really difficult and frustrating......:sad:

Check if it is the fuse-something similar happened to me on an Onkyo V receiver, and I found that only the fuse had gone.It was a simple matter of replacing it.

George

Phew! Just opened it. It IS the fuse. replaced it and viola! :yahoo:

Thanks folks for seeing me thru a near heart attack!

It looks like you blew a fuse too in the process :)
Hope you find a replacement for that as well :D

Cheers

Phew! Just opened it. It IS the fuse. replaced it and viola! :yahoo:

Thanks folks for seeing me thru a near heart attack!
Congrats :clapping:

Now get this converted to a 23oV model via the jumper settings...it would be much better than with the transformer

Congrats :clapping:

Now get this converted to a 23oV model via the jumper settings...it would be much better than with the transformer

Only dealer will do that unless you know how to ... and for a phoren import he might refuse ...

Regards

Only dealer will do that unless you know how to ... and for a phoren import he might refuse ...

Regards

Hmm.. I always thought it is a Jumper setting to change the Voltage output from the transformer ? My techie skills suck..so do pardon if it is too simplistic.

Congrates, akhir Duva Kam aai.
Just enjoy & dont change settings again.:D

Audiophiles ki dua lag hi jati hai! Thanks for the dua's guys! And yeah, it'll be quite a bitch to get AVI to even touch the piece for any kind of mods, as it wasn't bought from /thru them....

But, there is a great guy here in Mumbai called Akshay who might be able to do it. i.e. if he ever picks up his phone... :mad:

Malvai-now that youve gone through the near death experience ( and this is yoru captain speaking), relax, fasten your seat belt and enjoy the music! But seriosuly , it's well worth converting to 220V if possible.

George

Now Malvai release your breath to breathe...
Lucky me my Lyrita SET2A3 has an external fuse, some call it user friendly!

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back