HELP - Nakamichi cassette Deck 2 - Crawling

jmascreen

I am observing a problem with my deck 2, after playing around for 10 minutes odd, the song gets crawled. Can you pin point what could be the issue behind it?

This is happening to all cassettes.

Meaning what? :D:D:D

This is such an anti climax! Looking at the title in the thread listing, I clicked on it eagerly because I had visions of the Nak crawling all over and wanted to read all about it.
[emoji24] get me some solutions, is it belt. Cap motor etc?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Let me clear it off.
When I am playing any cassette after 10 minutes or bit more the speed is reduced drastically and if I switch off the deck and start after some time it works again for another 10 minutes or more and again speed reduces

from my experience with various cassette decks over the years, there can be only 2 reasons, reason-1 could be dying caps on the powersupply elements feeding the motor servo or the servo itself, good way to test this is to measure the voltage across the motor rails before and after the "crawling" occurs. If a dip in voltage is causing the "crawling" then its the servo or the powersupply. I hope reason-2 is not the root case, which is, the main drive motor is on its way out.

from my experience with various cassette decks over the years, there can be only 2 reasons, reason-1 could be dying caps on the powersupply elements feeding the motor servo or the servo itself, good way to test this is to measure the voltage across the motor rails before and after the "crawling" occurs. If a dip in voltage is causing the "crawling" then its the servo or the powersupply. I hope reason-2 is not the root case, which is, the main drive motor is on its way out.
If so can, is it available? Or need to find substitute

If its the servo or the powersupply, recapping can solve the problem (after running checks on these with a capacitance meter). If its the motor, you can definitely find the OEM replacement online but Nak spares come at a price. It would be great if you could have a knowledgeable technician look it up for you.

If its the servo or the powersupply, recapping can solve the problem (after running checks on these with a capacitance meter). If its the motor, you can definitely find the OEM replacement online but Nak spares come at a price. It would be great if you could have a knowledgeable technician look it up for you.

Sure. getting a good tech guys is again challenging task. recently i gave my NAD C320 to a technician and he troubleshooted it as faulty toro transformer and got it re winded according to his specification but the problem still persist and I am no were as I dont know the original values of toro trans

So will give to someone who will really fix it..

I am no were as I dont know the original values of toro trans

So will give to someone who will really fix it..

If the secondary voltage known it is an easy task to rewind the trafo. You may found this data from Service manual. Some cases the transformers having multiple secondary windings. Such cases are bit difficult to estimate each winding VA. But most manufacture estimate this accurate from volume of copper, conductor size and core volume. Better contact a transformer manufacturer.

I was reading some articles which suggests it's a common problem with sankyo transport and the cause is dead spot on capston motor.

And servicing it with wd40 etc resolves the problem

I was reading some articles which suggests it's a common problem with sankyo transport and the cause is dead spot on capston motor.

And servicing it with wd40 etc resolves the problem

Try as below..

Remove the top cover and observe while Forward or PLAY-ing the reel motor is rotating. If yes then check by hand (probably need to remove the motor from the mounting base) the motor is freely rotating. If it is freely rotating the motor is ok. If not the motor not rotating freely it required a cleaning service or replacement. Avoid to spry any solution on motor shaft and it may sometime spoil motor winding insulation.

If the motor is rotating freely just measure the DC voltage across the motor terminal. It shall be about 3V while playing and 0V when stops.

If the above are ok then the motor and motor control circuits are ok. The problem is associated with mechanical gears, wheels and alignments in the mechanism.

Safety warning : If you are not familiar with basic electrical / electronic system, Please do with a Technician. Be aware about electric hazardous.

Try as below..

Remove the top cover and observe while Forward or PLAY-ing the reel motor is rotating. If yes then check by hand (probably need to remove the motor from the mounting base) the motor is freely rotating. If it is freely rotating the motor is ok. If not the motor not rotating freely it required a cleaning service or replacement. Avoid to spry any solution on motor shaft and it may sometime spoil motor winding insulation.

If the motor is rotating freely just measure the DC voltage across the motor terminal. It shall be about 3V while playing and 0V when stops.

If the above are ok then the motor and motor control circuits are ok. The problem is associated with mechanical gears, wheels and alignments in the mechanism.

Safety warning : If you are not familiar with basic electrical / electronic system, Please do with a Technician. Be aware about electric hazardous.
Let me try it

Hi.. Sorry,

I confused with Capston motor and Reel motor. Please check the Capston motor not reel motor. The voltage across the motor is 12V DC.

@jmascreen

First and foremost my sincere advice will be if you really wish to own and listen to a high end Deck like Nakamichi then completely stop buying from any Indian seller here.If given free also disown it. I have nothing personal against them but trust me almost all of them know nothing about the technology of a Nak.

With all due regards to Rahul Chawla from whom you bought,he is a very sweet guy,very humble and accomodative,but am sorry to say when it comes to business a bit more professionalism is required.On cannot sell a Nak half working and believe me most of these Indian sellers do that.We think we are saving lot of bucks by buying these from them,but we never ever care to understand the trauma which we go through after post purchase is terrible.

Get your Nack from USA/Europe/Japan.Get it through Ebay and pay thrice the price you are offered here,but trust me you will take that Nak to your grave,still operating like a Rolls Royce.Again I have nothing personal against anyone,but I am just sharing this to stop people go through this ordeal.

I think Deck_help may have a valid point here, stuff advertised by sellers in Germany, UK, etc tend to come with accurate ebay descriptions as it is against the laws of these countries to solicit sales with false information.

More than that, decks here in india would have lead a hard life, with lots of use, and the heat, humidity and dust does does not help either. Because of this, compared to equipment from abroad, indian equipment usually has more wear and tear, more non orginal components & jugaad repairs by local technicians, dust, rust, and hardened plastic parts

@jmascreen

First and foremost my sincere advice will be if you really wish to own and listen to a high end Deck like Nakamichi then completely stop buying from any Indian seller here.If given free also disown it. I have nothing personal against them but trust me almost all of them know nothing about the technology of a Nak.

With all due regards to Rahul Chawla from whom you bought,he is a very sweet guy,very humble and accomodative,but am sorry to say when it comes to business a bit more professionalism is required.On cannot sell a Nak half working and believe me most of these Indian sellers do that.We think we are saving lot of bucks by buying these from them,but we never ever care to understand the trauma which we go through after post purchase is terrible.

Get your Nack from USA/Europe/Japan.Get it through Ebay and pay thrice the price you are offered here,but trust me you will take that Nak to your grave,still operating like a Rolls Royce.Again I have nothing personal against anyone,but I am just sharing this to stop people go through this ordeal.

I kinda agree and disagree on your perspective...While it is true that most of the folks do not know what there are selling..there still few good techs available in India who can work on the machines and bring it back to its full glory ...

Buying from USA / Uk germany or else where is no magic bullet...The Nakamichi deck are prone to many problems, be it the classic transport or the sankyo built transport....
The first step in recommissioning such machines is to do a complete mechanism overhaul which is not limited to just changing belts and idler tire...
Also the classic Naks suffer from frozen pivot arm and OCD which needs to be addressed meticulously..The later Sankyo OEM'ed transport had the a poor quality motor in the mechanism which causes failure in the mechanism.. Over the years the commutator shaft in these motor get oxidized corroded and causes motor to loose torque...These would require the motor to be rebuilt or replaced....

I have the privilege of owning over a dozen Nakamichi deck in my stable right from the quintessential ZX9, 1000ZXL , Dragon to the humble 480 , CR 1 .. I have acquired these from various places including USA, Canada , UK , Germany and also a handful from India...most of these needed complete mechanism overhaul and tape path alignment and calibration in addition to PPC cap replacement....

The bottom line is don't expect a 30 year old piece of electro mechanical equipment to perform like out of the factory line without sending it to a tech period...It really doesn't matter whether you get stuff from abroad or not ...the parts tend to fail based on their age and not location....Good,If you can get a service history but then you will end up paying a premium...

If your intend to buy a nak my recommendation would be ...

1.) Get yourself educated on the technology...Understand what your are signing in for...
2.) Get a well qualified tech at your disposal...(this is probably the most critical step...There is no point send the deck to some one who doesn't have the right experience or the alignment jigs...)
3.) Usually in India there is no service history...Try to negotiate on the cost citing the tech's cost for overhaul and alignment...
4.) Before putting the deck into commission get it overhauled by a qualified tech...

I bought my both Nakamichi decks, Technics SL-Q3 TT, Luxman Tuner and even my previous Onkyo TA-2830 deck all from Olx and I am very happy with my hunts. In principle I will not by any such item without personal inspection unless otherwise seller is well known to me. Another part is if we inspect 10 items may be one or two only meets our expectation. So need patience for seconds gear buying.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back