Help needed - best stereo speakers within 50K

sgautam

Dear all, I am in the process of revamping my gear and am looking for the best possible musical speakers within 50K, i have magnat monitor 1000 floorstanders, CA S30s and Diamond 9.0s. Presently using a Marantz SR3001, Topping & a Q2 tube amp in various combinations with the above speakers.

I find the magnats good in creating an expansive sound stage with a laid back sound signature, particularly Jagjit Singh sounds fantastic when coupled with the qinpu q2 or topping. however for near field listening i find the CA S30s fantastic, in fact i consider them a steal for the price (9k). My music is mostly ghazals, instrumental, classical music (vocal based). Please bear in mind the following while sharing your experiences:

1. The speakers should be good for music - no consideration at all for movies.
2. No brand preference, Indian, Foreign anything is OK, even used is fine.
3. I will be buying a reasonably powerful NAD amp shortly.
4. Bought a used Valab NOS DAC from a FM which will be used for conversion duties for the time being.
5. Will surely be buying a dedicated CD player within 3 months.
6. Finally i am based in coastal AP so auditioning speakers is beyond question, I solely depend on your views to narrow down the choice.

All this unease to improve SQ is largely to this forum, within a year or so the forum has helped me understand the nuances of sound and made me well, how to put it - IMPATIENT i guess, now i am in the phase of constant tweaking, changing things, trying different combinations etc, i guess this phase will last for a while before i settle down to enjoy music. By the way i was nuts with the surround systems for many years and spent a good deal on the so called hifi systems a decade ago, now i notice myself switching to stereo mode even for HD channels. I don't know where this will lead to ...

Enough of my ramblings, please do revert with your suggestions & help me.

Cheers,

You should checkout the Paradigm MilleniaOne 2.0 System-- sweet sounding speakers-- in your price range

Hi,

If you plan for a NAD Amp for future, then the choice is automatically PSB, they are made for each other audition Image B6 bookshelves.

N.Murali

Thank you all for your quick responses, PSB seems to be the best bet then, will try to know more about them.

My room size will not cross 300 sq ft. The present one is around the bit smaller but will be changing places soon. My prefer speakers with good midrange and details at fairly low volumes, I am sure of this aspect as my magnats open up only after a certain threshold and sound better when played at higher volumes, they can go quite loud without loosing composure, but i listen at moderate / low volume most of the time.

I will try to audition the PSBs in Hyd when possible, can you kind souls guide to those stores please, will be in hyd next sunday.

Thanks a lot.

Hyderabad does not offer many choices for auditioning.
I suggest that you plan a trip to Chennai or Bangalore.
I liked Tannoy DC6 speakers a lot. Ordered the Towers in the series. Supposed to be musical at Low Volumes.

Some other speakers I liked and their Hyd dealers below:

1) PSB . Avinash 9849844187 . Never met him and not sure if he stocks speakers for auditioning. Got the number from Lakozy Mumbai when i went for auditioning PSB

2) KEF - Q 300 (not sure about matching NAD)
USK Electronics,
Phone: (040) 39122036
Mobile: 9396556197
Address: 103/302/312, Babukhan Mall, Somajiguda

3 Aviano
SBT Corporation, A Block, shanthi sikhara Apts, rajbhavan road.

thanks a lot jagdish, going to chennai may be possible but not sure if its worth the trouble when so many experts are around !!

how much did the Tannoy DC6 towers cost you btw. thanks once again,

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back