Wire length for speakers

Sauzz

Hi respected FM's,
I need to reposition and rewire my z5500 speakers. (13 years back when I got em, it was mainly used for music during parties - everyone standing and dancing. So the speakers were wall mounted a lil higher for standing ear level. Now it's mostly used as HT speakers - sitting down!.. You get the drift...). Getting to the point - the rear speakers will need 50ft wire and the centre/fronts only 3ft. So,
Q1. do I need to have all the wires of same length even if it results in a big spool for 3 speakers?
Q2. What thickness/awg will be ideal for +50ft length. Z5500 are 8 ohms.
Thanks much in advance for any feedback.
S.

Wires can be of different lengths, 3 feet or 50 feet wont make any audible difference.
In-fact making a big loop is a big NO-NO
I use good quality LAN cables as speaker wires, if it works at Giga speed - its good enough for KHz range
Use 0.5 -0.75 sq mm for satellites and 1 sq mm for subs , preferably twisted pairs

Hi respected FM's,
I need to reposition and rewire my z5500 speakers. (13 years back when I got em, it was mainly used for music during parties - everyone standing and dancing. So the speakers were wall mounted a lil higher for standing ear level. Now it's mostly used as HT speakers - sitting down!.. You get the drift...). Getting to the point - the rear speakers will need 50ft wire and the centre/fronts only 3ft. So,
Q1. do I need to have all the wires of same length even if it results in a big spool for 3 speakers?
Q2. What thickness/awg will be ideal for +50ft length. Z5500 are 8 ohms.
Thanks much in advance for any feedback.
S.
Ans 1: No. They don't have to be same.
Ans 2: Most likely it will be the thin pin type connector. If yes get the 16 gauge cable. That should be sufficient for surrounds.

MaSh

Standard gauge of wire14awg. Oxygen Free copper wire. Should do the Job. If you have extra budget........... sky is the limit.
OFC would be too much for Logitech , as they are budget speakers with very thin original wirings( to begin with). I would go for OFC/ Amazon basic speaker cables, if they were bookshelf or Tower

But different wire lengths can cause phase mismatch - leading to poor pinpoint imaging.
:D
It is entirely different matter that the same people do not go the same lengths to ensure that path from speaker to ear is within 1 nanometer tolerance between left and right!

There are a lot of threads discussing speaker cables (use the search function above and look for “speaker cables”)
I think a patient browse will help you find your solution

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back