Help needed for motorized ceiling mounted 110" screen

rohan25

Hi folks

Just starting out with the whole HT setup process.

Ht consists of the following so far

Marantz 7008 amp
PSB imagine T2 fronts
PSB Imagine C center
PSB Imagine Mini surrounds
Panasonic 58" plasma monitor
Panasonic ae8000 projector
Room size 20x19
Viewing distance 17 feet

I am looking to install a motorized ceiling mounted screen for the projector.
I need help to decide screen size, screen brand and dealers to contact for installation in Mumbai.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have gotten an initial quote of 48k for a 110" da-lite motorized screen but that seems too high to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Some things to consider....

For that seating distance sizes up to 13' wide are desirable. Choose a 16:9 Projection Screen if you are planning to use it with a native 16:9 format projector. 2.35:1 Widescreen Cinema scope format which is perfect with the new anamorphic lenses on the market today.

If you're building a dedicated HT room, are you going to be rolling up the screen? I presume you want the screen to be rolled down in front of the wall mounted panny.

Is a motorized screen 'stiffer' than a manual screen, making it flatter and less wavy?
Other than the obvious (motorized sceen rolls down with the flick of the switch) there are no other differences in manual and motorized screens. Requires extra wire from projector to screen. If motor ever damages, the screen becomes useless. Rather go for manual pull-down good quality screen.

Planning something like this?

Last edited:
Some things to consider....

For that seating distance sizes up to 13' wide are desirable. Choose a 16:9 Projection Screen if you are planning to use it with a native 16:9 format projector. 2.35:1 Widescreen Cinema scope format which is perfect with the new anamorphic lenses on the market today.

If you're building a dedicated HT room, are you going to be rolling up the screen? I presume you want the screen to be rolled down in front of the wall mounted panny.

Is a motorized screen 'stiffer' than a manual screen, making it flatter and less wavy?
Other than the obvious (motorized sceen rolls down with the flick of the switch) there are no other differences in manual and motorized screens. Requires extra wire from projector to screen. If motor ever damages, the screen becomes useless. Rather go for manual pull-down good quality screen.

Planning something like this?

I am limited by the amount of space I have hence will have to go for a 110" or 120" diagonal screen. This is in a living room which can double up as a HT room at night for movies. Yes I want the screen to roll down in front of the wall mounted Panny.

I am looking for advise on what brands to look at for motorized projector screens, what gain screen should be considered. The decision has already been made to go for a motorized screen.

One thing I dont get is why would I need extra wire to go from projector to screen in case of a motorized screen.

Unity gain if you watch in darkened room.

For a 12v trigger, you would typically run wire from your PJ to your screen. The PJ would need to have a 12v trigger output, and the screen would need a 12v trigger input.

When you power up the projector, the screen deploys. When you turn off the projector, the screen retracts.

Yes you still need 220 vac for the screen motor. What you have is a 12v source ( the projector ) which triggers a 12v relay in the screen. When the 12v is present, the screen unrolls, when the 12v is not present, the screen rolls up. Even if your screen does not have a 12v trigger, it is rather easy to make one up. Just a relay with a 2 position contact or 2 relays ( one NO and one NC ) Just make sure that the contacts on the relay are rated to carry the current that the screen motor will draw.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back