Help needed in selecting the right speaker for my Yamaha AS 500.

audition with yamaha as 500 only..

b&w need power to drive as the low impedance figure can dip..

so test properly.

audition with yamaha as 500 only..

b&w need power to drive as the low impedance figure can dip..

so test properly.

Yeah!

My amp already gets really hot even when I play at half volume :(
Were thinking of putting a 120mm PC cabinet fan on top of the amp.

dont complicate with a fan... check if your amp has enough breathing space and is not put in a restricted space.

go for speakers which your amp can drive comfortably. Lesser the number of drivers the better.

its the compatibility that matters which will generate the sound pressure you seek.... not simply a mix of "brands"

Therefore it is essential to audition WITH your amp.

try some standmounts and you may be surprised. try the Epos Elan 15 at bangalore.

it may surprise.

regards

dont complicate with a fan... check if your amp has enough breathing space and is not put in a restricted space.

go for speakers which your amp can drive comfortably. Lesser the number of drivers the better.

its the compatibility that matters which will generate the sound pressure you seek.... not simply a mix of "brands"

Therefore it is essential to audition WITH your amp.

try some standmounts and you may be surprised. try the Epos Elan 15 at bangalore.

it may surprise.

regards

Well, I'm using it with my PC and it's on the table with good air circulation on top of it (ceiling fan always working). It still gets warm even if I play at 10% of max volume.

I'm hoping the hifi stores in Bangalore have the Yamaha AS 500 with them coz I came here on behalf of my company and I don't have the amp. Also, its not exactly a portable amp.

Lesser number of drivers the better?
I should be targeting 8ohm floor standers with high sensitivity, right?

Btw, one of the hifi stores in Kerala I called up said "just forget everything, get the Q Acoustics 2050i" :p

Last edited:
@marX - What components do you have now in your stereo -setup apart from Yamaha AS 500...

Is PC your source for music ?

Any ideas about the KEF lineup?

How good is the KEF Q500?

KEF lineup is good, though, bit pricy.

I found KEF Q500 Musical, but bass shy. I paired it with Marantz PM6004

BTW, Recently, I bought, Marantz PM6004. Despite, not-so-good reviews, I bought POLK TSx330T from ProFX Kolkata, In my opinion, it is very much musical, bass-line is tight and highs are tamed, though mid is not that open, I thing that's the attribute of my PM6004, but bit tweaking on my HTPC's control gives me good mids too. Initially, it sounded boomy but proper speaker placement, room acoustic and interconnect have shown gradual improvement. I am a newbie in this hi-fi world but I have noticed that simply removing/placing speaker grills can improve/degrade the sound quality of any hi-fi system!
Are you sure, that you are using right interconnect? I was using 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable that came with ASUS Xonar sound card, and for that system sounded boomy but when I changed it with quality cable from Ghent Audio --- B01 3.5(1/8") TRS(M) to RCA(M + M) Canare L-4E6S Cable , I perceived huge improvement.
From your, previous threads , I know, that you tried many tricks but till now, haven't got the desired result! So, I would request you, change the interconnect. If you have any audiophile friend, you can borrow it from that friend for testing purpose.

Another thing, I want to tell you that please don't use PC fans on the top of your amp. probably, you are thinking putting more air into the amp will make your amp run cool!!! but in that course will also pump zillions of dust particles inside amp, and dust is one of the main enemies of any electronic gadget

Last edited:
Well, I'm using it with my PC and it's on the table with good air circulation on top of it (ceiling fan always working). It still gets warm even if I play at 10% of max volume.

I'm hoping the hifi stores in Bangalore have the Yamaha AS 500 with them coz I came here on behalf of my company and I don't have the amp. Also, its not exactly a portable amp.

Lesser number of drivers the better?
I should be targeting 8ohm floor standers with high sensitivity, right?

Btw, one of the hifi stores in Kerala I called up said "just forget everything, get the Q Acoustics 2050i" :p
============================================

at 10% of the volume if it gets warm... i would be asking other AS500 users to chip in with their experience and also take the amp to the dealer where you got it from.

First sort the amp out.

mpw

KEF lineup is good, though, bit pricy.

I found KEF Q500 Musical, but bass shy. I paired it with Marantz PM6004

BTW, Recently, I bought, Marantz PM6004. Despite, not-so-good reviews, I bought POLK TSx330T from ProFX Kolkata, In my opinion, it is very much musical, bass-line is tight and highs are tamed, though mid is not that open, I thing that's the attribute of my PM6004, but bit tweaking on my HTPC's control gives me good mids too. Initially, it sounded boomy but proper speaker placement, room acoustic and interconnect have shown gradual improvement. I am a newbie in this hi-fi world but I have noticed that simply removing/placing speaker grills can improve/degrade the sound quality of any hi-fi system!
Are you sure, that you are using right interconnect? I was using 3.5mm to RCA stereo cable that came with ASUS Xonar sound card, and for that system sounded boomy but when I changed it with quality cable from Ghent Audio --- B01 3.5(1/8") TRS(M) to RCA(M + M) Canare L-4E6S Cable , I perceived huge improvement.
From your, previous threads , I know, that you tried many tricks but till now, haven't got the desired result! So, I would request you, change the interconnect. If you have any audiophile friend, you can borrow it from that friend for testing purpose.

Another thing, I want to tell you that please don't use PC fans on the top of your amp. probably, you are thinking putting more air into the amp will make your amp run cool!!! but in that course will also pump zillions of dust particles inside amp, and dust is one of the main enemies of any electronic gadget
When I started my hifi journey with Bibin3210's diy amp, I was considering the Tsx lineup from Polk. But, everyone said it's not "audiophile" grade.

I'm using the 3.5mm to RCA cables from MX.
I haven't found any better cable online (indian sites) or offline.
If you find anything of that sort, do let me know.

Oh oh. My amp is on top of the computer table with the monitor on top of it. Because of that, there's a good chance of dust build up in it now.

Compresssed air should work, right (to clean it up) ?

============================================

at 10% of the volume if it gets warm... i would be asking other AS500 users to chip in with their experience and also take the amp to the dealer where you got it from.

First sort the amp out.

mpw

Hmm...I bet they (the dealer) will say "it's normal".

EDIT:
Btw, I also noted that at similar volume, Bibin3210's diy amp also got very warm too. But that was it's heatsinks but here it's the top side of the whole cabinet.

Last edited:
When I started my hifi journey with Bibin3210's diy amp, I was considering the Tsx lineup from Polk. But, everyone said it's not "audiophile" grade.

I'm using the 3.5mm to RCA cables from MX.
I haven't found any better cable online (indian sites) or offline.
If you find anything of that sort, do let me know.

Oh oh. My amp is on top of the computer table with the monitor on top of it. Because of that, there's a good chance of dust build up in it now.

Compresssed air should work, right (to clean it up) ?

------------------------
I recently bought 3.5 to RCA cable from Ghent Audio --- B01 3.5(1/8") TRS(M) to RCA(M + M) Canare L-4E6S Cable

It is very good, I am sure, good quality interconnect will improve the SQ of your set-up

-------------------------
To clean electronic gadgets, I don't use compressed air, I use blower function of vacuum cleaner; first, I carefully open the cabinet/chassis of the gadget, take the blower in one hand and a clean dedicated small paint brush in another hand and gently use on effected areas. I personally don't suggest using compressed air can because it is difficult to control the speed/intensity of the air coming out of the can.
But now, I'd request you not to try any method as your amp is brand new, doing so may/will void warranty. Our India is mainly hot & humid, so don't block vents of your amp. Your AS-500 is class AB amp, had it been class 'A' amp, you wouldn't have needed any room-heater in winter :)
10% volume generates heat is a concern, so it is better you take it to the dealer/service centre, Play it at your dealer/service centre, dealer/service center may try to wash its hand by saying "it is normal with AS-500" even if heating issue is still evident but you be stern they will replace/service the amp.

Attachments

• DSCF3215.jpg
    DSCF3215.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF3218.jpg
    DSCF3218.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
If you want bright highs, good bass and very sensitive speaker, then Klipsch is the only option.
Klipsch will fulfill all that you are asking for, but Klipsch is not my cup of tea.

If you want bright highs, good bass and very sensitive speaker, then Klipsch is the only option.
Klipsch will fulfill all that you are asking for, but Klipsch is not my cup of tea.

I have heard their RB-61 bookshelf speakers with my amp...but it's too bright. Also, I'm a bit circumspect about having a horn loaded speaker because of my listening habits. I fear it might be too directional.
I sometimes turn the volume up and go for walk or watch some "birds" ;) from the balcony of my house etc.

I have also heard the JBL STUDIO 290 with my amp too. Very similar to the Klipsch, with a U-shaped frequency response.
Both are within my budget.

If I don't get anything auditioned, I might go for the B&W 685 S2 or the Klipsch RB 62.

@Amit
My debit card won't work with PayPal :(

I play Skyrim a lot and it would be whisper quiet but when I touch the top of the cabinet, it would be warm.
Once during a small house party, I played it almost half position and it became very hot.

I'll check again when I get back, (currently at Harihar, Karnataka, on behalf of our company).

@ marX ,
If you have a 'non-chip' credit card, you can use that credit card, use it, make payment, call up the customer care of your bank and tell them to block your card and instruct them to issue a chip embedded card. This process is helpful, if you are scared online data theft. more so, when you are dealing with a Chinese company.

Edit--- You can try this one---- http://shop.technoguru.in/5-mm-to-phono/246-qed-performance-jack-to-phono-15-mtr.html

Last edited:
I'm using this cable at the moment.

mdrelectronics.com/productdisplay.asp?PID=700

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is ok type.
Since you have spent 32k for amp and ready to spend further 50-70K for a pair of speakers, all for your listening delight. Interconnects and wires also deserve your attention. You mentioned in one of your earlier post (from different thread) that you're not liking the SQ of your new set-up, though you mentioned that you heard same set-up at dealers space and you liked it then! So, I think, interconnects and wires need to be replaced. As I mentioned before, if you can borrow quality cables/interconnects from friends, just for testing purpose, it'll clear your doubt. Remember, for customers satisfaction and business, dealers use premium interconnects, properly shielded cables, you can't expect same performance from 700bucks interconnect! I faced same predicament but some of the fellow FMs came to my rescue, upon their suggestions, I started changing/upgrading/tweaking things and gradually SQ improved significantly.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is ok type.
Since you have spent 32k for amp and ready to spend further 50-70K for a pair of speakers, all for your listening delight. Interconnects and wires also deserve your attention. You mentioned in one of your earlier post (from different thread) that you're not liking the SQ of your new set-up, though you mentioned that you heard same set-up at dealers space and you liked it then! So, I think, interconnects and wires need to be replaced. As I mentioned before, if you can borrow quality cables/interconnects from friends, just for testing purpose, it'll clear your doubt. Remember, for customers satisfaction and business, dealers use premium interconnects, properly shielded cables, you can't expect same performance from 700bucks interconnect! I faced same predicament but some of the fellow FMs came to my rescue, upon their suggestions, I started changing/upgrading/tweaking things and gradually SQ improved significantly.
No, the interconnect they used at the showroom were of ordinary quality, from Belkin (Rs 500).

I'm not really sure if the interconnect matters that much!!
To me, it's the speakers that matters the most and that's what happened and would happen.

No offence meant btw.

No, the interconnect they used at the showroom were of ordinary quality, from Belkin (Rs 500).

I'm not really sure if the interconnect matters that much!!
To me, it's the speakers that matters the most and that's what happened and would happen.

No offence meant btw.

I used belkin RCA cables,after that I changed to mogami and canera rca cable,There is huge difference in my system.

I used belkin RCA cables,after that I changed to mogami and canera rca cable,There is huge difference in my system.
But, does it make that much of a difference in my lo-fi system of mine?

Ok, I'll try to get a better interconnect.

BTW, is there any place in Bangalore where I can buy quality interconnects and speaker cables?

But, does it make that much of a difference in my lo-fi system of mine?

Ok, I'll try to get a better interconnect.

BTW, is there any place in Bangalore where I can buy quality interconnects and speaker cables?

I believe Murthy cable are better in money matter. first try from either friends or FM,then decide.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back