Help needed on 3D source for 3D compatible projector

...@tma and madhavk8 - I am really confused now. ....

There is nothing complicated here.. Just go a little slow and lets take this up step by step.

First can you confirm if you can drive your pj using your exisiting Laptop / pc at 120 Hz at 720p using VGA/HDMI?

Based on this we go to the next step..

Hi guys,

Was quite taken aback and confused by my tests last night. I played a 3d (SBS) rip through my Asus O Play Air which I projected through the Epson 6100. I could see the usual 2 images side by side. Then from the PJ menu I selected the 3d format as SBS and to my shock I could see 3d in all its glory through the supplied glasses. There was absolutely no difference between the 3d played through the PS3 (3d compliant) and the Asus.
Now all this while I was under the impression that the play back device as well as the display need HDMI 1.4 to experience 3d. The Asus O Play Air only has HDMI 1.3.
Can someone tell me whats happening? Is HDMI 1.4 required only for 3d Bluerays then ?

Hi guys,

Was quite taken aback and confused by my tests last night. I played a 3d (SBS) rip through my Asus O Play Air which I projected through the Epson 6100. I could see the usual 2 images side by side. Then from the PJ menu I selected the 3d format as SBS and to my shock I could see 3d in all its glory through the supplied glasses. There was absolutely no difference between the 3d played through the PS3 (3d compliant) and the Asus.
Now all this while I was under the impression that the play back device as well as the display need HDMI 1.4 to experience 3d. The Asus O Play Air only has HDMI 1.3.
Can someone tell me whats happening? Is HDMI 1.4 required only for 3d Bluerays then ?

hdmi 1.4 is only needed to send Frame Sequential 3D video Ex:- When playing a 3D bluray
SBS is Frame packed 3D i.e both frames for left and right are packed in one single frame and transmitted in the usual way like any 2D signal hence hdmi 1.3 is good enough for that.

@tma and madhavk8 - I am really confused now. I have posted a thread on AVSforum. maybe I will start another thread there. I will also PM both of you and if possible visit and see your projectors if you have one.

My team member is in US till Dec 15th. So need to firm up something in next week so that I can order.

Just get the Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66 PJ from US. They both are amazing for 3D.

There is nothing complicated here.. Just go a little slow and lets take this up step by step.

First can you confirm if you can drive your pj using your exisiting Laptop / pc at 120 Hz at 720p using VGA/HDMI?

Based on this we go to the next step..

Hi..for the less smart..can you tell us step by step how our laptops output to 120HZ please? I also PM'd you. Both praveen and I - both need an answer so better put it here.

Also based on what Amarendra wrote - did he confirm what you have been telling? His pj and my pj both are similar as I know some pjs project 3d off the box.

Also pls note in my case I dont have my projector yet in my hand - still with friend in US

Edit:

Did the following:

Under Screen - Resolution - Advanced settings, I got a new box - on that I clicked on Monitor. In Monitor settings I can see 60HZ but there is no drop down box for 120HZ. Does it mean I cannot output to 120HZ or whether the existing screen being my LCD display cannot display 120 HZ?

Last edited:
Hi..for the less smart..can you tell us step by step how our laptops output to 120HZ please? I also PM'd you. Both praveen and I - both need an answer so better put it here.

Also based on what Amarendra wrote - did he confirm what you have been telling? His pj and my pj both are similar as I know some pjs project 3d off the box.

Also pls note in my case I dont have my projector yet in my hand - still with friend in US

Edit:

Did the following:

Under Screen - Resolution - Advanced settings, I got a new box - on that I clicked on Monitor. In Monitor settings I can see 60HZ but there is no drop down box for 120HZ. Does it mean I cannot output to 120HZ or whether the existing screen being my LCD display cannot display 120 HZ?

Just saw your post AFTER I replied to your pm!:eek:

The bad news for Amarendra's pj is that its not DLP and hence he cant use the DLP link glasses and has to use the custom ones, the GOOD news is that his pj is a FULL 3D pj and more advanced than what we are talking abt - so as long as he has the proprietery 3d glasses, he should do fine with 3d as long as the 3d content is input to the pj..

Also, you would need the pj or any other 120Hz capable monitor connected to your laptop to really set the display to 120hz..
You can however check if the graphics h/w lists such a resolution.
In the same new dialog you mention try checking, in the FIRST tab 'Adapter', there is a button 'List all modes' in the bottom, click that and see if 720p@120Hz is available.

Unless the display h/w supports the 120Hz, you cannot apply that resolution and see any proper display - I dont recommend trying that on your default laptop monitor.

Actually he have already bought the Acer H5360. He is asking about how to get the 3d working in his PJ..:D

OK. So to get 3D working on Acer H5360 projector you have 3 options

1) Buy the Nvidia 3D vision kit and connect to a PC with an nvidia graphics card with support for 3D

2) Buy the proprietary Acer 3D glasses and connect to a PC with nvidia graphics card supporting 3D and buy Nvidia 3DTV play software

3) Buy DLP link glasses, buy the BD-XL conversion kit and connect to a source which outputs 3D ( such as PS3 or 3D bluray player)

Hope this helps :)

@ tma many thanks for your suggestions. The reason why I am posting so many questions without having the projector in hand is to understand what else I have to buy from US since my colleague is still there. If I dont follow the Nvidia route I guess one thing for sure are the DLP link glasses. Jury is still out there on the 3dxl convertemr.

This is what I have except its i5 with Intel graphics, 4gb ram

http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2009/gateway/nv/nv59/NV59sp2.shtml

As adviced, on the list all options - I see many options, but they all end in 60Hz no 120HZ. If I have a secondary display capable of displaying 120HZ will it give me more options or is it all my laptop is capable of?

@Madhav - the three suggestions that you gave is what I also know except @tma said if laptop can output 120HZ then directly we can connect it to the projector and it should be able to output to 3d - this is only HSBS - no bluray 3d.

@praveen - please see tmas suggestions and see if you can output 120HZ from your laptop to 5360. Not sure if you have dlp link glasses, but if you can see 3d ghosting type image then we can still call it a success.

Thanks again everybody!!:clapping:

@tma - can I connect my laptop to my Plasma via AVR and try the 120 thing?

Last edited:
I do not have 120Hz option in my laptop, Is it possible with xtreamer progidy or ps3? If so I can try tomorrow once I am back to blore!

Thanks,
Praveen.
sent from SGS2 skyrocket.

Hi All,

Cannot take the wait anymore. Do we all agree the following will solve my 3D problem on the 5360? I will order it today.

(1) Monoprice 3D convertor for 100 dollars

Amazon.com: Monoprice 2D to 3D HDTV/DLP Converter (Frame Sequential, Side by Side, and Red/Cyan): Electronics

(2) DLP link 3D glasses pair for 80 dollars.

Amazon.com: 3DTV Corp DLP-LINK 3D Glasses 2 Pairs for ALL 3D Ready DLP Projectors and ALL Samsung and Mitsubishi DLP TV's: Electronics

Also can you clarify if the Monoprice will alter the quality of the 3D in anyway - in my case I am not converting anything - I just want it to make the 3D HSBS signals from my laptop compatible with 5360.

Thanks again for all your help!

@arnprasad :
I guess the option you mention seems to be the best for you given your choices..

Note that the Monoprice device still needs some content input to it via a bdp/laptop/htpc or such and also does 2d->3d I think..

This is a good option in case you are going for the htpc later rather than sooner as you can get 3d using the htpc by adding a video card + dlp glasses which any ways you are buying now. The prices of the graphics card keep falling and you can always get a better model 3-6 months down the line for the same amount of money - say 5k or so. Thus buying a card down the line is also not a bad idea. The cost of htpc should be upwards of 20k minimum (mobo+cpu+ram+hdd) though.

As regards your other question about 3d quality - there will not be any degradation provided the pj is bright enough. Hope the glasses you buy last long enough as the chinese ones do look flimsy but are good for the money it comes for.. There was also some mention in another thread to go for NON rechargable ones as compared to rechargable ones. The non rechargable ones take button-cells and are user replaceable - the rechargable ones batteries are not meant to be user replaceable and mostly the glasses need to be hacked or thrown away after the life of the chargable battery goes off. In both the cases the charge is claimed to be in 100 hours or so continuous use - so we can be sure for atleast 50% of that i guess.

And finally, regarding your earlier post of 120hz option..

I think your laptop graphics dosent list 120Hz options as the display cannot support it. I cannot confirm it as my laptop has a gcard and hence shows the option only on the PJ and not on the default monitor. (Something got to do with EDID settings I guess but its too advanced for tweaking without sufficient knowledge).

Does your plasma support 120Hz? Can you connect your laptop to it using VGA/HDMI? if yes then do try it but i am not sure..

But I also think its time for you to decide on one or the other option. Sorry but thats all the inputs I can give on this for now..

I do not have 120Hz option in my laptop, Is it possible with xtreamer progidy or ps3? If so I can try tomorrow once I am back to blore!

Thanks,
Praveen.
sent from SGS2 skyrocket.

As far as I know, the xtreamer cannot change the display refresh options. I am not aware of PS3 - but please do try and update for the benefit for the rest of us....

Thanks. Amazon too has many options though most of them are for 2d to 3d and most do not have favorable reviews. I am thinkin gof monprice since it has been used by few people and they seem to be fine with it.

The ebay one - am not sure since it is shipped from US anyways and works on 110 volts only.

@tma - as I mentioned I do want a HTPC/NAS mostly to serve as my data center with backup facility. Dont mind adding a 5K card to it.

As of now its only a projector.

Still need to see if my colleagues are ok getting the monoprice and the glasses. Seems now I have to get the DIY screen fabric as well. So lets see how it goes.

Well late to chip in, @Arn, few point I would like to share, hope thats makes some sense.

3D comes in various formats, most noticeable and used are two ..

1. Frame Sequential :: the Original 3D, supported by 3D bluray players. The video is sent out of the player at 1080p 24 frames per second, per eye; or 48 frames per second.
FS 3D supports full 1080p content at source. To be able to play this kind of format your source (Player) and the display both should be able to support it. All current gen 3D TV support FS. On the other hand you have to have proper 3D Bluray player to be able to render FS 3D format. (Or a PC with a GPU)

What about PC :::: To clear the doubt, any current gen GPU, as low as GT440 can easily render FS 3D. They are HDMi 1.4a compliant which is all you need for a GPU to render and sent FS 3D signal to your 3D enabled display.

YOU DO NOT NEED nVidia Kit to watch 3D media on your 3D enabled TV via PC. There is only one and only one reason you would want an nVidia 3D kit.....which is ...

1. You do not have a 3D enabled TV, but have a 120Hz 3D monitor and you want to view your movies or games on your monitor in 3D.(Specially games). In that case the kit would supply the glasses, the receiver and the software, for your monitor to be able to correctly render 3D image. Why a 120Hz monitor coz for gaming min refresh rate is 120Hz (not for movies, explanation in a short while)

That is the only reason one would want an nVidia 3D kit. For watching movies on your already existing 3D TV all you need is the usual GPU like a plain GT440, HDMI cable, 3D capable TV, software player for PC like Total Media Theater 5 to play the content ( Media Player Classic also does the job but only for SBS. no FS) and you are good to go

2. SBS :: Side by side ....SBS is not a full resolution 3D format. As the name suggest the left-eye sub-frame and the right eye sub-frame are stacked side by side in this format, where in each sub-frame occupies just half the horizontal resolution of a full HD frame, resulting in a 3D image with 960 pixels by 1080 lines instead of the 19201080.

Advantage, .... loads ...

1. It reduces the bandwidth to a good extent, making compatible with HDMI 1.3 standards.

2. Any media player (WD TV, ASUS o Play, AC Ryan , XTREMER) including ofcourse any PC can play SBS format. Its the Display device (TV or projector) that should be able to render the SBS format in to one single image when viewed via glasses.

Result is almost as good as FS, personally viewed so I can be sure, atleast on a 47" display, you hardly notice the difference.

Another advantage is any 2D content can be converted to SBS 3D via AviSynth scripts infact a FS 3D content can also be converted to SBS 3D making it less bandwidth intensive and easily playable on any media player.

Few other concepts floating is the refresh rate .....

GPU again is of less concern when it comes to refresh rate .Almost all mid to low end GPUs can easily do 120Hz refresh rate, its the display that needs to comprehend it for games, for movies ..... read below .....

Now the most confused, misconception about refresh rate is ...... that the 3D Bluray or any Bluray Movie content need 120Hz display. No it doesnt. All Movie Bluray needs to play on your TV is 24Hz, even if the display is set to what ever refresh rate, when you play a BD Movie the source (BD Player, GPU) will change the refresh rate to 24 Hz before displaying the content.

120Hz refresh rate on a display is required if you want to do 3D gaming and hence the requirment for 120Hz Monitors.

Usual TV content is displayed at 60Hz which is all it needs.

So what is this all about TVs "advertizing" about 120, 240, 480 Hz refresh rate????, and claiming that it makes the image better. Or for 3D BD high 120Hz is a must. All misconceps. BD Content plays at 24Hz is all you need to know.

Let me explain ::::

When an image is been process and sent by a source (DB Player, GPU) its the source that creates the video material and controls the refresh rate, NOT the display. Display is merely a displaying device receiving signals form source. So in ideal condition when TVs "advertised" 120 Hz Motion Plus (as called by LG) is switched off and we are playing a Bluray, the source is sending the data at 1080p/24Hz and TV is displaying it at 1080p 24 frames per second that is 24Hz.

What happens when TV's 120Hz "Motion Plus" refresh rate is switched on ..
It does not mean that the content (processed image data) @ 24Hz is now at 120Hz ...no!. All it means is that the Video screen with the same content is been refreshed or displayed at 5 or 10 times a second 24x5=120Hz or 24x10=240Hz. Giving the image a false "smooth" appearance. The source is always at 24Hz.

Remember ::: Video signal is displayed to the screen at the same rate it is delivered from the device (24Hz or 60Hz)

Not to go in to too much details, all ones need to understand is BD Content is played at 24Hz. In 3D it becomes 24Hz per eye making 48Hz effectively.
For 3D gaming yes you need min 120Hz display/eye.

Lastly @ARN the converter you are buying is just to convert the conventional 2D content in to 3D, and might not provide you with enough depth to actually differentiate between 2D and 3D, hope you understand that.

Best of luck with your purchase ....

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back