Help needed on 3D source for 3D compatible projector

Although my laptop by default does not show any 60HZ options may be coz it does not have a dedicated card - I too dont mind connecting the PJ directly to the laptop and see if 120HZ gets enabled. Hope this wont fry the projector if something goes wrong

@arnprasad:

Do try it out with the laptop there is very little risk of damaging anything.
At most if it dosent work, pj will only show blank output and wont get damaged..

Assuming that 120Hz works on the laptop (with say latest Intel onboard GPU like HD2000/3000), I think the system would not have enough juice to play 3D at HD resolutions?

Coming to my query, which is related to the above laptop experiment also, I read in many places that HDMI cables cannot transfer 120hz signals at all. It appears that DP cable can handle it but the projector has no display port input. :eek:

I am also wondering why 3D cannot be implemented on 60Hz, @ 30 Hz per eye, which is more than a standard movie frame rate of 24 FPS. :sad:

@arnprasad.. how is your 3d working now with the monoprice convertor? Are you able to play frame sequential 3D or just SBS is possible? Can you explain your source and connections?

@Santy: Any laptop that can play regular video at 120Hz can also play SBS files equally well as there is no extra technical requirements on the player.

For the cable, High speed HDMI would really help. If DP is available, one can use DP -> HDMI converter/adapter cable costing around 500.
Some implementations of DP also support audio+video just like HDMI.

Back from the experiment and I am so glad I did it!! :yahoo:

So I used this Belkin 10 ft cable between the PC and PJ and guess what I got a smooth, seamless 120Hz projection. :)

And that enabled the 3D option in the PJ menu as well :yahoo:
Just as I thought, the cheap HDMI cable was the culprit.
This proves once again that not all cheap, long HDMI cables do their job.

I have been really struggling to get a reliable info on my quest... searched 100s of web pages with lot of confusing and mixed suggestions. Some said that no HDMI cannot handle 120 Hz. Bah!

I guess and I hope I just need a pair of 3D DLP link glasses now.
Any suggestions on choosing one from online will be appreciated.

120hzb_zps921fd052.jpg

2013-01-05192753.jpg

2013-01-05192811.jpg

2013-01-05192837.jpg

Hope this post helps many users of 3D ready projectors.

@santy: What minimum GPU I should have for this? U have optoma hd66 right? So wo dont need any converter? Only dlp glasses with ur laptop conf should play 3d files with optoma hd66/acer h5360?

Thanks,
Praveen.
sent from SGS2 skyrocket.

@santy: What minimum GPU I should have for this? U have optoma hd66 right? So wo dont need any converter? Only dlp glasses with ur laptop conf should play 3d files with optoma hd66/acer h5360?

Thanks,
Praveen.

You can check this
If you are a Nvidia fan (click Compatible Graphic Processors) to know the GPU models that support nVidia 3D vision.

If you are a Radeon fan, then all GPUs of 5000, 6000, 7000 series support AMD's HD3D

Note that nVidia is proprietary which means it will work only with 3D Vision kit supplied by nVidia but Raedon is open which means any third party hardware (glasses, active or passive) and software (drivers ie iz3D or TriDef) will work.

In a nutshell, any GPU costing over Rs. 6k would support 3D according to me.

EDIT: Whether or not I would need a convertor for 3D: is a question I can answer only after getting 3D glasses. But I hope it will work. Anyone in Mumbai willing to rent a pair of DLP glasses to me, just to test before buying? :)

Last edited:
....Note that nVidia is proprietary which means it will work only with 3D Vision kit supplied by nVidia but Raedon is open which means any third party hardware (glasses, active or passive) and software (drivers ie iz3D or TriDef) will work.
For any DLP-Link capable PJ supporting 120Hz, both NVidia / AMD GC will work equally well for 3D video playback using software player on the PC. There is this big confusion about NVidia and their kit partly due to misinformed campaigns I would say. 3D using NVidia does not mean 3D Vision kit is a must.

Also Passive 3d Glasses are surely not possible to use using the DLP Link PJ! DLP-LInk is a active 3d tech. Passive 3D requires the display screen to do the 3D magic. PJ screens are just a sheet of fabric!:lol:

EDIT: Whether or not I would need a convertor for 3D: is a question I can answer only after getting 3D glasses. But I hope it will work. Anyone in Mumbai willing to rent a pair of DLP glasses to me, just to test before buying? :)

If you have a pc that already drives 120 hz AND you have a DLP link Pj, then you only need the pc s/w player to play the 3d content and can enjoy 3D with 3D DLP Link glasses.. 3D Convertor is only required for eg when you need to convert 2D video info to 3D or one does not have a pc software 3d player.

If you have a pc that already drives 120 hz AND you have a DLP link Pj, then you only need the pc s/w player to play the 3d content and can enjoy 3D with 3D DLP Link glasses..

Yes, that's what I am hoping for. :)Let's see how it works. Do you suggest any specific model from these or any other better option?

@Santy: There are quite a few threads on this forum itself where the glasses have been already discussed with all info including where to get. Please check..

The prices mentioned in the link given in your query are around 4000/- but the glasses would be around $30 and so even with shipping added, 4000 or so seems on the higher side.

Hi all, last Sunday I had demo of Cellnorth video Wizard-2D to 3D convertor working on LCD and also Projector. I am surprised with this device. It's a VFM at 7k, it converts side by side and TAB formats with an ease, I used my own LG blue ray ( non 3D, bought a used one from a member of this forum) to play SBS in MKV format, surprised, 3D depth and brightness can be adjusted from the menu itself, had 2 HDMI ins and 1 out. Also I got 1 got doubt cleared- you don't need a 3d player to get 3d content processed. Already placed a purchase request.
Negative - it uses amber and blue glasses, may be old technology but this kind of devices are not available in polarised active or passive, thanks all

I Love Tapatalk on my IPhone

my monoprice too came with those red and blue? color glasses - so I guess multiple glasses are supported with this device..havent really used it though.

sir ,have you recieved your monoprice convertor? if yes kindly post some pics, thanks

Well, I just dived into pure 3D and all I can say is WOW. :yahoo:

Got my pair of glasses from Amazon US delivered today and after a few minutes of fiddling, started enjoying 3D movies the way they are to be watched! Simply fantabulous!

What made it work for me are:
HTPC with i5, Radeon 7850
''Quality'' HDMI cable
Optoma HD66 pj
3D TV Corp DLP Glasses
100" fixed screen
TMT 5 player

And there you go.... :) Things start flying right up to your nose. :p

Well, I just dived into pure 3D and all I can say is WOW. :yahoo:

Got my pair of glasses from Amazon US delivered today and after a few minutes of fiddling, started enjoying 3D movies the way they are to be watched! Simply fantabulous!

What made it work for me are:
HTPC with i5, Radeon 7850
''Quality'' HDMI cable
Optoma HD66 pj
3D TV Corp DLP Glasses
100" fixed screen
TMT 5 player

And there you go.... :) Things start flying right up to your nose. :p

Pls share Landed cost for these Glasses.
Now you got me more confused. Was looking for GT750E ($640, 3000 Lumens, Native 3D) and now thinking of HD66 ($500, 2500 Lumens, 3D Ready). If 3D works on HD66 then also considering Acer H5360 ($475, 2500 Lumens, 3D Ready)
I am using GT 440. Will H66 will work with GT440 with 3D?

Last edited:
Pls share Landed cost for these Glasses.
Now you got me more confused. Was looking for GT750E ($640, 3000 Lumens, Native 3D) and now thinking of HD66 ($500, 2500 Lumens, 3D Ready). If 3D works on HD66 then also considering Acer H5360 ($475, 2500 Lumens, 3D Ready)
I am using GT 440. Will H66 will work with GT440 with 3D?

In Gt750, 3D works out of box directly. Where you can connect any source, say ps3/3d blu ray player/htpc.

If you dont worry abt 3d, then acer h5360(420$) will be vfm.

Thanks,
Praveen.

DJ
Your graphic card does support 120 hz output, so any 3d ready dlp projector will work.

As discussed today, you can plan a visit to my home to verify the same.

If you want to use bluray for 3D in future, then 3d ready projectors won't work since they don't support 1.4 HDMI. In that case, you must go for GT750.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back